is this clear box too big for a jumping spider?

bugarella

Arachnosquire
The clear box measures 2 1/4"x2 1/4"x4" high. The jumping spider is 1/8th" long. I'm just wondering if I should get a smaller box for it. Or is a bigger envoriment better?

Here's a picture of the box

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
should be fine, but use vents as airholes though since any sort of drill size will be way too big

bugarella

Arachnosquire
should be fine, but use vents as airholes though since any sort of drill size will be way too big
I have a dremel with some super tiny drill bits. I was going to test one on a piece of acrylic about the same thickness as the boxes to see if it will drill through or jist snap the bit. If I fail, I will be putting a mesh vent instead

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
those acrylic boxes are perfect for dwarf T's. the ones you will be getting will fit nicely in those.

Solucki

Arachnoknight
That will work nicely for a jumper. Don't put in too many branches, it blocks their view. Sticks, no leaves works. It will probably make a nest in the top corner so it has a nice view of the ground. Careful with the drilling, acrylic cracks easy.
Oh, I just read 1/8". That may be too small for even the smallest drill bits. They can squeeze thru holes half their size. I use cloth or very fine screens.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
For jumpers, the bigger, the better, IMO.

It helps if you have a lid that opens smoothly.

A large enclosure with ample perches and crossing branches is heaven to them. Plus you get to see how far they'll jump for prey.

Keep in mind that jumpers actually have a sophisticated brain, and as a result they benefit from enrichment. Putting a new object in the enclosure every once in a while got some interesting reactions from my phidippus, especially the males. It really seems to make them alot happier, give it a try. Just try not to change things too much, they seem to react alot like felines when too much has been altered.

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For what it's worth - I have jumping spiders living on the side of my house (they hide behind the clapboards) - the side of my house.