Is this an ideal setup to breed A. gigas?

scysci

Arachnopeon
Hi I have a pair of adult A. gigas that I'm looking to breed and I'd like some advice on my setup. The substrate is from cyberbuginspace ("dried leaves, compost soil, sand, and sphagnum peat moss, plus a little bit of calcium carbonate power mixed in") and is about 2 inches from top to bottom with varying elevation levels. I keep it at room temp. How long will it take to see results? Are they supposed to dig? I've never seen them attempt to. The male always scurries around the cage while the female sits underneath the log.

Attachments

mickiem

Arachnoprince
What do you mean "2 inches from top to bottom"? I keep my AGBs in a plastic tote. It is about 40" long and 20" wide and tall. The substrate is about 12" deep. I am sure your substrate is good, but if it is only 2" deep, that's not enough. You really should try for at least 8". Big millipedes need a lot of space. The leaves look dry but they don't look very well rotted. Maybe its just the photo; so hard to tell sometimes. They need lots of rotted leaves. When they are breeding, I usually add a few handfuls of leaves each week.

They should definitely dig. Mine spend as much time under as they do on top.

scysci

Arachnopeon
What do you mean "2 inches from top to bottom"? I keep my AGBs in a plastic tote. It is about 40" long and 20" wide and tall. The substrate is about 12" deep. I am sure your substrate is good, but if it is only 2" deep, that's not enough. You really should try for at least 8". Big millipedes need a lot of space. The leaves look dry but they don't look very well rotted. Maybe its just the photo; so hard to tell sometimes. They need lots of rotted leaves. When they are breeding, I usually add a few handfuls of leaves each week.

They should definitely dig. Mine spend as much time under as they do on top.
I meant it's about 2" deep. Do you know why mine doesn't try digging at all? Even if it's just 2", I'd imagine they'd try digging down at least. Maybe the substrate?

SFA

Arachnoknight
I meant it's about 2" deep. Do you know why mine doesn't try digging at all? Even if it's just 2", I'd imagine they'd try digging down at least. Maybe the substrate?
Bugs in Cyberspace substrate is great. But you need way more than that for a big species like A. Gigas! An adult probably can’t even bury themselves in 2 inches.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Yeah I would shoot for around 12 inches or more with lots of rotting woods, compost and leaves