Is this a wolf or grass spider?

Meer

Arachnopeon
I found this guy on my basement floor. What species is it? I think it's either a rabid wolf spider or a funnel web/grass spider. But I have no idea how to tell those apart! :eek:

(sorry I couldn't get a good shot of the underside)

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's a wolf spider. If you take a look at the eye pattern you can see that 2 of the eyes are bigger and facing forward. And one more thing: grass spiders have bigger spinnerets.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Definitely a wolf spider. That's all I can say. Like others have said, wolfies have those 4 big eyes on top of the head, and grass spiders have two(?) rows of tiny eyes.

Meer

Arachnopeon
Thank you guys! With that info and after looking at pictures on BugGuide I think I can now tell the difference. We have a lot of both Agelenopsis and Rabidosa around our house. I like to know what I'm looking at.

Meer

Arachnopeon
Yes they are awesome. I like seeing them around. I see them often when I cut the grass. (and I swerve to avoid them of course!)

I let that one go, but I think sometime I'd like to keep a wolf.

I went out into the yard and teased a grass spider out of it's web for a look. They are actually quite different from wolf spiders when you see them in person. I feel kinda silly for getting them confused. :eek: