1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Scheduled Maintenance - Extended Downtime

Please click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this a wolf or grass spider?

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Meer, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Meer

Meer Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I found this guy on my basement floor. What species is it? I think it's either a rabid wolf spider or a funnel web/grass spider. But I have no idea how to tell those apart! :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (sorry I couldn't get a good shot of the underside)

2. ErikWestblom

ErikWestblom Arachnobaron

That's a wolf spider. If you take a look at the eye pattern you can see that 2 of the eyes are bigger and facing forward. And one more thing: grass spiders have bigger spinnerets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Erigo

Erigo Arachnosquire

It is Rabidosa sp.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GiantVinegaroon

GiantVinegaroon Arachnoprince

Definitely a wolf spider. That's all I can say. Like others have said, wolfies have those 4 big eyes on top of the head, and grass spiders have two(?) rows of tiny eyes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Meer

Meer Arachnopeon

Thank you guys! With that info and after looking at pictures on BugGuide I think I can now tell the difference. We have a lot of both Agelenopsis and Rabidosa around our house. I like to know what I'm looking at.

6. Tegenaria

Tegenaria Arachnodemon Old Timer

Beautiful spider, wish we had those!

7. Meer

Meer Arachnopeon

Yes they are awesome. I like seeing them around. I see them often when I cut the grass. (and I swerve to avoid them of course!)

I let that one go, but I think sometime I'd like to keep a wolf.

I went out into the yard and teased a grass spider out of it's web for a look. They are actually quite different from wolf spiders when you see them in person. I feel kinda silly for getting them confused. :eek: