Is this a thing?

Hilabeanz

Arachnopeon
I've had my g. rosea (or porteri...not really sure) "Charlotte" for 5 years. She has been on a fast for the last 8 months. I just added two new Ts to the fam, a subadult c. versicolor and an adult b. albopilosum.

I rehoused the new additions into their individual enclosures and added them to the shelf next to Charlotte yesterday morning. Last night I went to feed my new girls and noticed Charlotte actively roaming about her enclosure. Very unusual for my pet rock. I offered her a dubia and BAM! She dug in! I couldn't believe my eyes. She just refused a few days ago, but the day 2 newbies move in she's ready to eat.

Is this a thing? Could their presence have jump started her in some way? Or is it merely a crazy coincidence?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Maaayhaps all the vibration and disturbance near her enclosure triggered some sort of feeding response?

When I am feeding Ts and start pulling down enclosures, the other Ts on that shelf react to the disturbance - either by hiding or coming out to a spot where they are ready for food.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hilabeanz

Arachnopeon
I’m inclined to believe it’s something related to the hubbub around the new additions. Must be.

Hilabeanz

Arachnopeon
Ok, so she is just really really more active now. It’s like she’s been resurrected out of an 8-month coma. Nothing at all has changed for her except the 2 new additions on her shelf. She’s Sleeping Beauty awakened by a kiss, and now all over her enclosure, exploring and engaged.

Still coincidence?

There is no extra attention to them since feeding day on Sunday but every day since I’ve observed exponentially more activity. It really seems like their presence has rustled her up in some way. I just want to make sure this new activity is not stress manifesting. I can’t imagine it is as most keepers have their Ts all lined up. The other 2 are totally chill. Unless my rosie is just extra special sensitive...?

Also - where did the delightful banter on grammar and non-native-English-speakers go? Was that removed??

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Also - where did the delightful banter on grammar and non-native-English-speakers go? Was that removed??
It was possibly moved to its own thread in the off topic section, "The Watering Hole"

I just want to make sure this new activity is not stress manifesting.
My first inclination is to say that it is not a stressed reaction, but I have no scientific proof to back me up... I just think Ts are ultra perceptive of their surroundings through vibration and pheromones, so the new Ts being nearby is something worth checking out for her.