is this a tarantula

Jamie P

Arachnopeon
Wondering what kind of spider this is? Thank to people here ,I have learned what wolf spiders look like ,but this one seems very different. I live in southwest Missouri and it is a rocky wooded area where we live. Thank you all so much. I'm starting to appreciate these creatures a little more all the time.

Attachments

Jamie P

Arachnopeon
No. Looks like my Macrothele gigas. Maybe a trapdoor?
Thank you , I have never seen one before. Everytime my wife and I see a large spider we always wonder , is that a tarantula. Lol this is our first time living in the woods ,so we've seen a lot of awesome creatures here.

Stig

Arachnopeon
Carefull, the can be defensive and have poten venom, as I recall, and you would need a trip to the hospital if it's a Macrothele gigas, but they live in Ryukyu Islands, so must be some other kind off trap door...

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Yeah typically tarantulas aren't shiny like trapdoors are. I mean, tarantulas can have shine to them but it's a different sort of shine. It's like the shine of velvet rather than smooth plastic.

Jamie P

Arachnopeon
Thank you for your reply , we live in southwest Missouri and have never seen a spider like this before. It was very interesting.

Siderum

Arachnopeon
Although not a tarantula (different family), it is a mygalomorph, like the tarantulas. Like tarantulas and unlike araneomorphs, adult females can live several molts as adults. Cool spider!