Is this a nematode infection?

nurunuru

Arachnopeon
Noticed this curious white substance around the mouth of my A. metallica this evening. After a bit of research in the Tarantula Keeper's Guide and reading that a nematode infection nearly always includes "a chalky or white exudate" around the mouth, I'm decidedly anxious that that's what it is.

Hoping someone with experience in the matter can chime in with whether it does indeed look like nematodes. If that's what it is, any treatment advice would be much appreciated.

The tarantula seems otherwise healthy and ate a goodly-sized cricket just a few days ago.

white mouth.jpg

white mouth close up.jpg

jgod790

Arachnoknight
Idk, I wouldn't smoke a cigar untill the fat lady sings. That does not look like fecal matter. it looks to "juicy" to be poo. Poo hardens up and looks dry pretty quick. Unless the picture was taken shortly after it deficated, the poo wouldn't look like that.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Idk, I wouldn't smoke a cigar untill the fat lady sings. That does not look like fecal matter. it looks to "juicy" to be poo. Poo hardens up and looks dry pretty quick. Unless the picture was taken shortly after it deficated, the poo wouldn't look like that.
Good job.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
I'm pretty sure its still poo, Avics always seem to end up with it in their mouths.... Guess they like pooing where they eat.

I you're still worrie its nematodes... Try following the advice in post #3 in this thread:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?228899-Is-this-nematodes

I'm still pretty positive that's poo, I see what Jgid is saying.... But alot of people often keep their Avics in damp/overly humid conditions which could also be a factor in the fecal matter not drying out.

macbaffo

Arachnolord
They drink droplets from leafs, corks etc so in captivity also from glass and plastic surfaces. Poop is wet so they drink. It means it's thirsty. Maybe time for a little misting. They sure drink from the water dish on the ground, but only after they tried to drink from vertical and almost vertical surfaces.

MissSary

Arachnopeon
That is as gross as a dog that eats his own turds. Hope its that and nothing more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nurunuru

Arachnopeon
UPDATE - One year later

Just an update in case someone has the same issue and stumbles across this thread. It's now one year later. The white goop (presumably poop) disappeared, and the spider has moulted and is healthy all around. False alarm!
:coffee: