Is this a legit complaint?

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I was hoping to get a your opinions as to whether or not i have a valid complaint. I'm a bit 'annoyed' by a few different things with this order (not all of wich are the seller.) and before i complain i want to make sure that i am not allowing other things to disrupt my judgement.

So i just recieved some (5) slings. G. pulchra. Advertised as .75-1 inch. They came in at about half size and from what i have read, i should expect growth to be SLOW with this species. If this was just one sling or something with a reputation of growing quickly i would normally just get over it, but it sounds like it could be a year before they reach that size?

What do you think, is it a justifiable complaint or am i just cranky and need to get over it?

20180707_183659.jpg 20180707_184049.jpg 20180707_184408.jpg 20180707_184721.jpg 20180707_191414.jpg

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I would think it's a valid complaint. Not only are slow growing species such as pulchra priced according to size, but slings that size are typically a little more fragile.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I rarely find that slings are the size that they're advertised to be. I just have plenty of housing options of different sizes ready when I have a shipment coming. The more important things to me are that 1) they're in good health and 2) they're what I ordered.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I think i probably just need to wait bintuntil torrow and get a fresh look at the situation. By then i will probably be less annoyed about everything else.

I appreciate the everybody's thoughts on the matter.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
To me, I don’t know. I am kind of the person who would be happier to get smaller size slings. I love watching them growing under my care.

cold blood

Staff member
Normally I would think the same, ahh, it will grow soon enough. But at 3/4-1", you are often paying a premium for that slightly larger size with a pulchra....I don't know if that was your case....and they can be slow growing, although when small they tend to eat well and the growth isn't really fantastically slow to get to that 1" mark....but it can be for some individuals....so I can see your irritation. I get the idea many sellers don't actually make a real effort to size slings and really just give the eyeball test, its easier....and they may have 100 of them, and in that grouping, most may be the size advertised, but a few will be smaller, and a few will be larger. That said, when packing them, its easy to notice a larger or smaller one...and easy enough to replace it with a larger specimen, at least it is for me.

I'd be miffed, but not to the point of actually complaining, but I could see if someone might complain.

For reference, this is a pulchra just a hair under 1", about the size you expected...that small amount in size difference really is significant, as you see here.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Normally I would think the same, ahh, it will grow soon enough. But at 3/4-1", you are often paying a premium for that slightly larger size with a pulchra....I don't know if that was your case....and they can be slow growing, although when small they tend to eat well and the growth isn't really fantastically slow to get to that 1" mark....but it can be for some individuals....so I can see your irritation. I get the idea many sellers don't actually make a real effort to size slings and really just give the eyeball test, its easier....and they may have 100 of them, and in that grouping, most may be the size advertised, but a few will be smaller, and a few will be larger. That said, when packing them, its easy to notice a larger or smaller one...and easy enough to replace it with a larger specimen, at least it is for me.

I'd be miffed, but not to the point of actually complaining, but I could see if someone might complain.

For reference, this is a pulchra just a hair under 1", about the size you expected...that small amount in size difference really is significant, as you see here.
i think it is the combination of issues.

Not getting tracking and the PO not notifying me that i had a package caused them to be at the PO a couple extra days

Only half of what i said to put on the address labled got put so when i asked my girlfriend to pick them up she wasted her time only to get there and find out that her name wasn't on the package so i wasyed her time.

Then i had to take an extra hour off for lunch at work to go get them which may or may not end up docking me an extra 4 hours pay.

And then to top it off, they are half the size of what i expected, with the added insult to injury that after i got the last of the 'big' ones, smaller ones .25" were listed for $20 a peice less....

i am a cranky, angry person today. :rage:

i should just be happy they are all alive i suppose. Rant over......:dead:

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
That’s a considerable size difference. I almost always receive Ts that are not quite the advertised size. But usually it’s close. Hopefully, you didn’t get ripped off.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
@Theneil hahaa i know which one you got them from. don’t do it again is the lesson i’ve learned from that individual. :bored:

McGruder

Arachnopeon
My last order was similar - not a sling, so not the exact same situation, but I ordered a 2.5" and she is definitely closer to 1.5". And she was expensive! My order before that was similar. I'm starting to get the feeling that the unspoken rule with breeders is "this is the size, give or take half an inch". I understand your frustration. :shifty:

basin79

ArachnoGod
i think it is the combination of issues.

Not getting tracking and the PO not notifying me that i had a package caused them to be at the PO a couple extra days

Only half of what i said to put on the address labled got put so when i asked my girlfriend to pick them up she wasted her time only to get there and find out that her name wasn't on the package so i wasyed her time.

Then i had to take an extra hour off for lunch at work to go get them which may or may not end up docking me an extra 4 hours pay.

And then to top it off, they are half the size of what i expected, with the added insult to injury that after i got the last of the 'big' ones, smaller ones .25" were listed for $20 a peice less....

i am a cranky, angry person today. :rage:

i should just be happy they are all alive i suppose. Rant over......:dead:
So you paid $100 more for the slings yet got the smaller size? I'd 100% complain for that alone. Never mind the labelling mishap.

boina

Lady of the mites
many sellers don't actually make a real effort to size slings and really just give the eyeball test,
Well, yes, but I can see if it's 1/2" or 1" per eyeball test easily. Now, if we were talking about 3 or 4", that would be difficult to see...

That said, for me, the missing tracking number and the only half right labelling would be much bigger reasons to complain. I'd probably write an extremely polite and rather mellow note of complaint and see how the seller would react to it. If he's apologetic, then fine, if he's a jerk, then I'd find other sellers.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
So you paid $100 more for the slings yet got the smaller size? I'd 100% complain for that alone. Never mind the labelling mishap.
i don't know if i got the smaller size or not though because there was .25" and .75" advertized and i got .5" so i don't know if they over estimated the large size or underestimated the small size.

@Theneil hahaa i know which one you got them from. don’t do it again is the lesson i’ve learned from that individual. :bored:
Well i guess i cant trust the reviews section as much as i thought. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Sinned

Arachnosquire
Valid complaint - (and even more so?) from a new keepers standpoint. My G. pulchra slings where advertised as a certain size and instar, I went ahead as they where ""somewhat"" past that point that made me nervous and that I felt I was up to caring for them.

Combined with the fact G. pulchra's go for such a good price, they can next to upping the price, up the amount of effort in measuring them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd be disappointed, but not worried. As a terrestrial this species puts on a lot of mass, compared to some NW arboreals, thus the probability of them dying is much less. But I can see why you are disappointed, email the vendor.

I've always contacted the vendors BEFORE ordering, and I've always found 2 things

1. The product was exactly as described
2. The vendor would honestly admit the advertised size was off (either over or under) and indicate by how much.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
If the “1 inchers” were so small, imagine how small the “1/4 inchers” would be!

Also, definitely write a review so that others know what to expect when they order...

basin79

ArachnoGod
If the “1 inchers” were so small, imagine how small the “1/4 inchers” would be!

Also, definitely write a review so that others know what to expect when they order...
I'd email the seller first to find out exactly what has happened. Everyone can have a bad day, brain fart etcetera and don't deserve to be thrown to the wolves.

If the seller is rude, doesn't get back to you within a fair amount of time or responds badly then I'd write a review.

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
I got a B hamorii sling from Fear Not Tarantulas and they were spot on with the size. They said 1/2-3/4 inch and mine was just under 3/4”. It’s molted once for me so I’m sure it’s 3/4” or bigger now.

But yeah if you paid for a larger size I’d be rightly upset. Especially if it was that much smaller with a slow growing species like that.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
IMO there's nothing more annoying when a seller can't give you a proper estimated size.
It's even worse when a T is described as small, medium or large