Is this a good setup for my A. Chalcodes?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
View attachment 292636 Thanks Everyone! This is the new enclosure. Is this better, or are there more things missing?
Looking good! If it strikes your fancy, you can add foliage (real or fake) again. They don't benefit the spider, but there is nothing wrong with making the tank look appealing to you.

cold blood

Staff member
You can facepalm all you want @cold blood but as a mod you shouldn't post lies regarding heat mats.
Heres the thing that gets me facepalming HARD.

I probably have over 100 posts on AB explaining how to use a heat mat safely, so when you go claiming the "demonization" (for lack of a better term) of mats, you are completely and totally ignoring the fact that i (and several others) suggest and explain the right ways to use a mat. Heck I even mentioned safe mat use in my post you disagreed with. Something you seem to miss every time its posted.

Another fact is that when you buy a heat mat, 99.9% of people are going to use it as the directions tell them to...which is how you heat reptiles, not ts...this is because these mats are 100% designed for use with reptiles, which have completely and totally different heat requirements...people need to know that mats cannot be used in the manner they were intended.

So instead of getting offended, realize that mats are suggested almost daily by the very people you complain about.

There are many ways to add heat, there are two ways that have the possibility of being the most dangerous methods for heating ts....mats used in conventional fashion are one of those 2 potentially dangerous methods.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Heres the thing that gets me facepalming HARD.

I probably have over 100 posts on AB explaining how to use a heat mat safely, so when you go claiming the "demonization" (for lack of a better term) of mats, you are completely and totally ignoring the fact that i (and several others) suggest and explain the right ways to use a mat. Heck I even mentioned safe mat use in my post you disagreed with. Something you seem to miss every time its posted.

Another fact is that when you buy a heat mat, 99.9% of people are going to use it as the directions tell them to...which is how you heat reptiles, not ts...this is because these mats are 100% designed for use with reptiles, which have completely and totally different heat requirements...people need to know that mats cannot be used in the manner they were intended.

So instead of getting offended, realize that mats are suggested almost daily by the very people you complain about.

There are many ways to add heat, there are two ways that have the possibility of being the most dangerous methods for heating ts....mats used in conventional fashion are one of those 2 potentially dangerous methods.
I'm not offended. I'm bewildered. You have lied regarding heat mats yet you're trying to state otherwise. It's not the fault of the heat mat if those buying them chose to use them wrong.

You yanks are all space heaters or go home. Here in the UK heat mats are very popular with keepers and we manage just fine.

Instead of peddling utter rubbish maybe you should state FACTS.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You yanks are all space heaters or go home.
The best statement of today, by a long shot :rofl:

Here in the UK heat mats are very popular with keepers and we manage just fine.

As strange as this could be, here in Italy since forever a lot of keepers (including people I trust, long time breeders and keepers) use those (in the intelligent way, I mean, just like you guys in the UK, Germany etc).

I was crucified in the launch room ('Fantozzi' movie quote) because I've pointed out that, here in Italy (and I do live in one of the coldest regions of Italy) we doesn't have the harsh Winters of England, Scotland, Norway etc therefore room temperature was and is fine.

Almost started a third world war but no space heater was involved :pompous:

cold blood

Staff member
I'm not offended. I'm bewildered. You have lied regarding heat mats yet you're trying to state otherwise. It's not the fault of the heat mat if those buying them chose to use them wrong.

You yanks are all space heaters or go home. Here in the UK heat mats are very popular with keepers and we manage just fine.

Instead of peddling utter rubbish maybe you should state FACTS.
Fact....heat mats fail...when they do, sometimes they quit, sometimes they over heat...ive had it happen more than once.

fact...thermostats fail as well.

fact...while your method works, its simply not the #1 safest method of heat...its just A method to heat...people are merely offering safer, more foolproof methods...nothing wrong with that.

fact....most people being sold or buying mats are buying the common zoomed ones, at least here in the states...these mats typically DO NOT have thermostats...maybe things are sold differently in the UK, but not here. We have thermostats on some, but they are not the ones commonly bought and used here....so for anyone with one of these simpler mats, your thermostat suggestion is, well irrelevant. Its good info for those with that kind of mat, which is why no one has a problem with your suggestion of making sure to have one.

I am not lying about anything, the fact you claim this just shows your frustrations...nothing I have said has been a lie...not even close.

When we reccomend heating to people, its important to note the dangers and correct and incorrect uses of each method....

The difference is like you saying seatbelts are good enough and complaining when i say adding airbags is safer and then calling me a liar because you believe in belts or dont believe in air bags or think airbags are a waste of money. What you do is fine, but it doesnt automatically mean its the best or safest way for everyone.

Disagree with me all day, i can live with that, call me a liar and you are crossing a line.

you yanks are all space heaters or go home. Here
Then explain why we CONSTANTLY tell people of safe ways to use mats? Explain why I regularly bring up heat baths?

Altrrnative methods are brought up on a consistent basis...just because we often suggest space heaters, doesnt mean we claim its the only way

Space heaters are favored here, as well as by a lot of Eoropeans as well. But we also recognize (and bring up) alternatives for those that cant or wont use space heaters.

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Fact....heat mats fail...when they do, sometimes they quit, sometimes they over heat...ive had it happen more than once.

fact...thermostats fail as well.

fact...while your method works, its simply not the #1 safest method of heat...its just A method to heat...people are merely offering safer, more foolproof methods...nothing wrong with that.

fact....most people being sold or buying mats are buying the common zoomed ones, at least here in the states...these mats typically DO NOT have thermostats...maybe things are sold differently in the UK, but not here. We have thermostats on some, but they are not the ones commonly bought and used here....so for anyone with one of these simpler mats, your thermostat suggestion is, well irrelevant. Its good info for those with that kind of mat, which is why no one has a problem with your suggestion of making sure to have one.

I am not lying about anything, the fact you claim this just shows your frustrations...nothing I have said has been a lie...not even close.

When we reccomend heating to people, its important to note the dangers and correct and incorrect uses of each method....

The difference is like you saying seatbelts are good enough and complaining when i say adding airbags is safer and then calling me a liar because you believe in belts or dont believe in air bags or think airbags are a waste of money. What you do is fine, but it doesnt automatically mean its the best or safest way for everyone.

Disagree with me all day, i can live with that, call me a liar and you are crossing a line.

Then explain why we CONSTANTLY tell people of safe ways to use mats? Explain why I regularly bring up heat baths?

Altrrnative methods are brought up on a consistent basis...just because we often suggest space heaters, doesnt mean we claim its the only way

Space heaters are favored here, as well as by a lot of Eoropeans as well. But we also recognize (and bring up) alternatives for those that cant or wont use space heaters.
ANYTHING electrical can fail. Fact. There's just as much chance of the thermostat failing in a space heater than a mat stat. So that's a moot point.

If used the correct way even a failed thermostat won't turn the mat into a hot plate. They only time a mat will ever get dangerously hot is if they're misused and thermal blocking occurs.

And like it or not this forum is chock full of ill informed on the subject of mats. They're deemed dangerous. I've seen loads of posts that say "get rid of the heat mat".

Anyway. I've said my 2p worth.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Proper sick to death of Americans making out heat mats are a danger etcetera just because they're not popular over there.

If tarantulas where drawn to the heat as described above they'd bask in the sun in the wild.
I don't want to start any arguments here, but I heat my room using my wall mounted convector heater, once the room reaches 23 degrees, most of my Ts will be climbing towards the heat source. Once it cools down at night to 20 degrees they all stop climbing.
I would much rather use my homes heating than heat pads.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I don't want to start any arguments here, but I heat my room using my wall mounted convector heater, once the room reaches 23 degrees, most of my Ts will be climbing towards the heat source. Once it cools down at night to 20 degrees they all stop climbing.
I would much rather use my homes heating than heat pads.
Absolutely nothing wrong with preference.

If I had a large room just for tarantulas I'd use a radiator.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Ah, the heat mat debate. Some points of consideration in the context of this thread:

1) The OP is new to the hobby, and he is 13 according to his profile, so I’m guessing he may need to receive instruction as to proper use of the heat mat he already utilizes, and alternative options.

2) Stressing with the lad that T’s aren’t that cold sensitive to generally warrant any artificial heat in the average home. He keeps a North American desert species, I have family in Phoenix, Arizona and heard of 40 degree temps a few days ago, point being deserts get cold, and T’s flourish.

3) I’m thinking this debate, which morphed into something far beyond the young man’s question as to whether or not his enclosure was proper for his spider, may not have presented the most cordial introduction to the AB community.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
To get fully back on topic. It's not the worst beginner setup I've seen but:

- There's too much vertical space in the enclosure. The space between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure shouldn't exceed 1.5x the tarantula's diagonal leg span (measured from the tip of the front leg on one side to the tip of the rear leg on the opposite side) so you're going to need to either add much more substrate or use a smaller enclosure.

- A hide should be open ended to allow the tarantula to burrow underneath it (this species does burrow, pic of my A. chalcodes female burrowing below), a slab of cork bark works well for this (I prefer to part bury them).

View media item 46683
- If the leaves are from outside then I'd get rid of them (stuff from outside could be contaminated with pests or pesticides).

- I'd do away with the large rock as well, if the tarantula falls on it then it can rupture its abdomen and die, if it burrows underneath it then it could get crushed and die.

- The general rule for temps is that anything over 65°F is fine but this species should be able to tolerate overnight lows pretty well.

To be honest, I'm sick of the heat mat debate, they're used frequently in the UK/Europe without issue.

If you only have a couple of Ts to heat then statted mats are much more cost effective than running even the most energy efficient space heater (<100W for several mats controlled by one stat vs 450W for a low power oil filled radiator), something to consider if you aren't the bill payer. I used mats up until the point where I had enough tarantulas to justify the switch (my heat mats are now used to heat my reptiles and roach colonies seeing as they need higher temps than I can tolerate existing in).

If you have to use the heat mat then you need to have it rigged up to a good thermostat and preferably a surge protector as well, you're already doing better than most newbies by placing it on the side rather than underneath the tank but it needs to be away from the hide.

cold blood

Staff member
ANYTHING electrical can fail. Fact. There's just as much chance of the thermostat failing in a space heater than a mat stat. So that's a moot point.
Agreed....but its hard to tell when mats fail...on top of that, you need a mat for each enclosure done your way...fine if you only have a few larger adults. Do you keep dwarves? Slings? If so a mat would overwhelm their small enclosures, so you would need to do it the way i suggest....thats heating a larger enclosure with a mat and placing the small enclosures in that.

Your way is also not really workable if you have a bunch of ts, but fine for a few....take a guy with 30 ts....you need 30 mats plugged in?.....or one space heater.

When a space heater fails, its easy to notice immidiately....not the case with mats.

f used the correct way even a failed thermostat won't turn the mat into a hot plate.
Not my experiences....In my limited mat useage, I have had 4 fail...2 just quit working, the other two completely over heated...one cooked a ball python, one actually cracked the aquarium glass it was mounted to.

e it or not this forum is chock full of ill informed on the subject of mats. They're deemed dangerous. I've
Even you admit improper use of a mat is dangerous....and when that improper use for ts, is exactly how 99% of people use them, and how the companies tell you to use them, well we get a lot of heating problems with mats and ts.

But again, i cant tell you how many times I have suggested heating a large enclosure with a mat and placing t enclosure within that....which is the safest way to use a mat as ypi retain the heat and completely eliminate hot spots caused by direct contact.

Again, i agree that mats can absolutely be used safely, just not in the way most use them and not in the manner in which they were designed to be used.

For larger collections or small enclosures though, a space heater is often the superior option.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Agreed....but its hard to tell when mats fail...on top of that, you need a mat for each enclosure done your way...fine if you only have a few larger adults. Do you keep dwarves? Slings? If so a mat would overwhelm their small enclosures, so you would need to do it the way i suggest....thats heating a larger enclosure with a mat and placing the small enclosures in that.

Your way is also not really workable if you have a bunch of ts, but fine for a few....take a guy with 30 ts....you need 30 mats plugged in?.....or one space heater.

When a space heater fails, its easy to notice immidiately....not the case with mats.

Not my experiences....In my limited mat useage, I have had 4 fail...2 just quit working, the other two completely over heated...one cooked a ball python, one actually cracked the aquarium glass it was mounted to.

Even you admit improper use of a mat is dangerous....and when that improper use for ts, is exactly how 99% of people use them, and how the companies tell you to use them, well we get a lot of heating problems with mats and ts.

But again, i cant tell you how many times I have suggested heating a large enclosure with a mat and placing t enclosure within that....which is the safest way to use a mat as ypi retain the heat and completely eliminate hot spots caused by direct contact.

Again, i agree that mats can absolutely be used safely, just not in the way most use them and not in the manner in which they were designed to be used.

For larger collections or small enclosures though, a space heater is often the superior option.
I use large mats to heat multiple enclosures.

I've honestly only ever heard of mats causing damage used under enclosures. Thermal blocking is absolutely dangerous. Both with sub and large bodied snakes.

Like I typed if I had a large room just with tarantulas I'd 100% use a space heater/radiator as it'd make more sense in that situation.