Is this a good setup for my A. Chalcodes?

chalcodesguy

Arachnopeon
20181118_131623.jpg I was wondering if this would be a good enclosure setup for my A. Chalcodes. This is my first tarantula, and I am new to this, so I don't know what works and what doesn't. You can see I have a plant pot hide, some leaves sprinkled around, the blue water dish ( far right behind rock) and a heating pad on the back of the enclosure. Does this work for an A. Chalcodes, or should I add or remove anything? P.S. it gets really cold in my room at night which is why I have the heat pad. The T is about 2.5 inches legspan.

Last edited:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Remove the heat pad, get a space heater if you really need to. Chances are you don’t, depending on your room temp. Add more substrate as well, a fall could lead to a dead tarantula.

kcuB yrogerG

Arachnopeon
I agree with the above poster. All in All it looks good though, I tend to add more moss and decor though with my larger tanks. Some of my T's tend to come out more when theres a decent amount of "foliage"

Newt83

Arachnopeon
How big is the Tarantula? Enclosure looks huge and you will need a lot more substrate. General rule is there should be no more than 1.5 times the diagonal leg span from the top of the enclosure to the substrate. The leaves scattered about are unnecessary and if the room it’s in stays between 68-85F the heat pad isn’t needed. You can also break the pot in half or at least bury most of it.

cold blood

Staff member
Lots of little issues.

First, the distance to the top is excessive...you really need to fill the tank just over halfway with sub to make it safe....its a fall risk as it sits now.

The hide, a pot can work, but it needs to be broken...hides should NEVER be dead ends...hides arent homes, they are starting points for burrows...think of the hide as merely the front door, not the house.

A. chalcodes has no heat requirements, if you heat your home, you wont need additional heat...temps in the 60s arent a problem. If you choose to heat, a space heater is a better choice....direct heat sources present a danger as ts are drawn to heat like a moth to a flame...and the doesnt need yhe heat any more than a moth needs a fire. To use a mat you would want to heat a larger enclosure and put the t enclosure within that larger one.

If you have a screen top, that would also to be changed out as it also would present a risk. A cut and drilled piece of acrulic or plexi work well... 20180728_145209.jpg
Aside from that....how big is the t in quedtion? The size of the enclosure would only be suitable for an adult.

Welcome to the boards.

basin79

ArachnoGod
So long as you have the heat mat set up properly (attached to a thermostat) it's perfectly safe. You can ignore those who state they're dangerous etcetera.

The only thing I'd do is either remove the rock or make sure it's sat at the bottom of the enclosure. Tarantulas dig and if yours digs under the rock it might become trapped or crushed.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yeah, some more sub would be good, fill the tank up to the halfway mark at the very least. These do quite fine at room temp though so I doubt you need any additional heating. The extra sub depth wont go wasted either, this species will readily burrow and at times even build deep and elaborate tunnel systems.

basin79

ArachnoGod
direct heat sources present a danger as ts are drawn to heat like a moth to a flame...and the doesnt need yhe heat any more than a moth needs a fire. /QUOTE]

That's just untrue @cold blood unless you've got a paper on it. I heat all of my tarantulas via heat mats controlled by thermostats and none of them are drawn to the heat like you describe.

Proper sick to death of Americans making out heat mats are a danger etcetera just because they're not popular over there.
Lots of little issues.

First, the distance to the top is excessive...you really need to fill the tank just over halfway with sub to make it safe....its a fall risk as it sits now.

The hide, a pot can work, but it needs to be broken...hides should NEVER be dead ends...hides arent homes, they are starting points for burrows...think of the hide as merely the front door, not the house.

A. chalcodes has no heat requirements, if you heat your home, you wont need additional heat...temps in the 60s arent a problem. If you choose to heat, a space heater is a better choice....direct heat sources present a danger as ts are drawn to heat like a moth to a flame...and the doesnt need yhe heat any more than a moth needs a fire. To use a mat you would want to heat a larger enclosure and put the t enclosure within that larger one.

If you have a screen top, that would also to be changed out as it also would present a risk. A cut and drilled piece of acrulic or plexi work well... View attachment 292613
Aside from that....how big is the t in quedtion? The size of the enclosure would only be suitable for an adult.

Welcome to the boards.
That's just untrue @cold blood unless you've got a paper on it. I heat all of my tarantulas via heat mats controlled by thermostats and none of them are drawn to the heat like you describe.

Proper sick to death of Americans making out heat mats are a danger etcetera just because they're not popular over there.

If tarantulas where drawn to the heat as described above they'd bask in the sun in the wild.

Last edited by a moderator:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
@basin79 I use an 'incubator' set up, heat mat taped to a larger styrofoam cooler and then place my slings enclosures in it (so it's not directly touching their enclosure and I leave the top ajar to ensure even if it does malfunction it won't get above 90 degrees) and most, esp. the smaller slings, tend to gravitate towards it (although I do have two thermostats hooked up to it). The problem isn't that it's always going to be dangerous for them, it's that there's a small chance that it can if it malfunctions. Many people choose to bypass the whole thermostat idea and that's when it becomes very dangerous. But I'd still play it safe and put the enclosure in a larger enclosure that's in direct contact with the heat mat if you really need the heat.

If tarantulas where drawn to the heat as described above they'd bask in the sun in the wild.
Not always true. Being out in nature presents a large variety of stimuli (wind, rain, vibrations created by other animals) that make them retreat into their burrows.

basin79

ArachnoGod
@basin79 I use an 'incubator' set up, heat mat taped to a larger styrofoam cooler and then place my slings enclosures in it (so it's not directly touching their enclosure and I leave the top ajar to ensure even if it does malfunction it won't get above 90 degrees) and most, esp. the smaller slings, tend to gravitate towards it (although I do have two thermostats hooked up to it). The problem isn't that it's always going to be dangerous for them, it's that there's a small chance that it can if it malfunctions. Many people choose to bypass the whole thermostat idea and that's when it becomes very dangerous. But I'd still play it safe and put the enclosure in a larger enclosure that's in direct contact with the heat mat if you really need the heat.
Stating heat mats are dangerous because some don't connect then to a thermostat is like stating a chocolate bar is dangerous because some try to stab themselves in the eye with one.

Not always true. Being out in nature presents a large variety of stimuli (wind, rain, vibrations created by other animals) that make them retreat into their burrows.
Well I'll also type something that's not true. Heat mats are dangerous and tarantulas are drawn to them like a moth to a flame.

Unlike those who are typing that tripe I actually use them and have done for 20 years.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Well, there have been many accounts of heat mats killing tarantulas, especially when placed under the enclosure...which is a lot more dangerous. The tarantula naturally wants to burrow deeper and cool down, but just gets closer and closer to the heat source.

If Basin hasn't had issues with them placed on the sides then there's evidently a way of doing it safely, hard to argue that...also impossible to argue that they have never caused tarantula related fatalities. I have seen several instances of this myself, and I believe that's why we they are often discouraged...especially with newer keepers.

chalcodesguy

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the info, the T seems to love the heat pad, she is up against it alot. Sometimes I think she gets too warm and walks away from it to her hide, so that's why I keep it in there.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Thanks for the info, the T seems to love the heat pad, she is up against it alot. Sometimes I think she gets too warm and walks away from it to her hide, so that's why I keep it in there.
I'd personally use a thermostat if you do use a heat mat, as @basin79 said it can work, but a thermostat would be advised.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Well, there have been many accounts of heat mats killing tarantulas, especially when placed under the enclosure...which is a lot more dangerous. The tarantula naturally wants to burrow deeper and cool down, but just gets closer and closer to the heat source.

If Basin hasn't had issues with them placed on the sides then there's evidently a way of doing it safely, hard to argue that...also impossible to argue that they have never caused tarantula related fatalities. I have seen several instances of this myself, and I believe that's why we they are often discouraged...especially with newer keepers.
Again using them UNDER an enclosure is akin to using a drill to pop a zit. Not the drill's fault the user was an idiot. Same with a heat mat.

Can't think of something else used wrong that takes the full blame like a heat mat does.

"I itched my eye with a plugged in soldering iron and it blinded me"

Soldering irons are dangerous!!!!!!

I'd personally use a thermostat if you do use a heat mat, as @basin79 said it can work, but a thermostat would be advised.
A thermostat isn't advised it's VITAL.

The same as you yanks wouldn't use an oil filled radiator that didn't have a built in thermostat.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Again using them UNDER an enclosure is akin to using a drill to pop a zit. Not the drill's fault the user was an idiot. Same with a heat mat.

Can't think of something else used wrong that takes the full blame like a heat mat does.

"I itched my eye with a plugged in soldering iron and it blinded me"

Soldering irons are dangerous!!!!!!
Well, that comparison is pretty exaggerated mate...they are literally sold as "under tank heat mats". Besides, we all know most beginners just cant tell the difference between good and bad advice...doesn't mean they are all stupid, just misinformed.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Well, that comparison is pretty exaggerated mate...they are literally sold as "under tank heat mats". Besides, we all know most beginners just cant tell the difference between good and bad advice...doesn't mean they are all stupid, just misinformed.
If someone isn't willing to do even the most basic research then they are stupid. Well stupid and selfish.

I'm not after falling out with anyone. I'm just sick to death of a perfectly SAFE heating method deemed unsafe because some choose to misuse it.

If a space heater got messed with so the thermostat didn't work you wouldn't deem them dangerous.

Apologies OP for the detour.

@fleetwoodmcc care to expand?

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Just wanted to say, don't leave feeders alone in the cage with a tarantula. They could harm it while it is molting or otherwise vulnerable. Also, you don't really need a feeding schedule if you have one, just make sure the abdomen is not shriveled up. If you already knew this then I apologize for insulting your intelligence. It just looks like you followed a pet store employees advice. Don't do that. They do not know what they are doing 95% of the time and the advice they give is often harmful.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have nothing useful to add because everything was basically covered but let me point out my two cents about stones (or for that matter other hard objects) inside the enclosures.

As 'cool' as they can be (not for me, but anyway, I do not judge personal tastes) they are always a 'Russian roulette', if you ask me. You never know if the spider would try to climb (and this can happens, especially to recent rehoused ones) and, in the case of honestly kinda 'goofy/clumsy' slow spiders (like A.chalcodes are, unlike agile arboreals) you don't want that your spider could land straight in such stone.