1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a cockaroach?

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by Little Grey Spider, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Advertisement
    I was on a running/pedestrian path and had my eyes peeled for spiders of course.... I saw this scurry across the path and leaned in closer. I think it is a cockaroach? My friend with me says it's not because it's too light, but I'm just thinking maybe it's freshly molted? So, is this a cockaroach? If it is, do they normally live in the woods like that? There's really only woods and ocean there, not much for residential area. So I find it curious that it would also be out in daylight in the open like that. What's this bug? :) one with and without flash. 20180711_194606.jpg 20180711_194657.jpg

2. beetleman

beetleman Arachnoking Old Timer

definitly a cockaroach,which sp. i'm not sure on.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

With 5500 sp of cockroach, they have a range of colors. I've often found cockroaches that look just like that in the woods. I have no idea how to ID, though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnobaron Active Member

Ectobius pallidus, as aforementioned, a species of roach!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

That appears to be endemic to Europe, and this was presumably found in the eastern US, given that that's where the OP is from.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. that would be correct. I'm wondering if given the location and environment if it is Parcoblatta pensylvanica aka the Pennsylvania Wood Roach. They're said to live in wooded areas and feed on "decaying organic matter."

7. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnobaron Active Member

It’s endemic to Europe, but introduced within the United States. Specifically within New England(and Michigan), where OP is from ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  9. bugguide for the win, eh?! Pretty cool, says they were first spotted in the 1940's in Massachusetts. And like the Pennsylvania wood roach they are an outdoors species. Interesting. Aside from feeder roaches I've never seen an actual wild roach. I didn't know there were species that DIDN'T infest human dwellings. Pretty cool stuff.

10. LdLrLyChLd

LdLrLyChLd Arachnosquire

I’m from Minnesota so I’ve never really gotten grossed out by cockroaches since they don’t seem to be a huge problem here due to the winter (I’m changing that, I’m getting slightly infested with my feeders, ick) but New Orleans has a pretty intense roach situation, I find it amusing to walk around the sidewalks at night and watch and hear them scurry away lol