Is there any way to prevent a female velvet spider cooking herself for her babies?

NecroNeko

Arachnopeon
Dont want to lose her after she lay eggs. Can anyone give some advice?

cold blood

Staff member
dont turn the gas on for her oven.

Sorry, i just dont get the question....spiders dont cook and arent known to fry up their young.

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
Dont want to lose her after she lay eggs. Can anyone give some advice?
If you are referring to Charlotte A. Cavaticus ( Araneus Cavaticus ) then
No there is no way to prevent her from dying after laying an egg sac. She sacrifices herself for the Slings or eggs with legs once they burst out the sac.

NecroNeko

Arachnopeon
Well i mean Eresus. If i remove those eggs from her will she stop turning herself into spider juice?
If you are referring to Charlotte A. Cavaticus ( Araneus Cavaticus ) then
No there is no way to prevent her from dying after laying an egg sac. She sacrifices herself for the Slings or eggs with legs once they burst out the sac.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldn't recommend it. Having already laid her eggs, the mother's biological countdown is probably already ticking away. Whether the baby spiders are there to eat her or not, the biochemical changes that will liquify her internal organs have probably already started. By removing her from her offspring, all you are likely to do is doom them, too, because they won't have that food source that mom would regurgitate for them in the wild. The best thing you can do is accept the natural process - and look forward to watching the new generation grow up.

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
Well i mean Eresus. If i remove those eggs from her will she stop turning herself into spider juice?
No she slows her metabolism down to the point where she is basically dead...
but they’re in abundance every so go get another.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Sad but reality. The wheel of life. All too often humans try to meddle in samsara, placing their own desires first, and don't take the larger picture into account.

Last edited:

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
This kind of thing is what is difficult about having inverts as pets—but they are so amazing, too. Her body is doing what nature designed it to do. I'm so sorry you will be losing her, though.