1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there any way to make mealworms live for a longer period of time?

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by Phormic28, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Phormic28

Phormic28 Arachnoangel Active Member

Advertisement
    As the title says, is there a way to make them last longer in the fridge? I’ve bought some at Petco (50 for $3.99 which is absurd tbh) and it hasn’t even been two weeks and most have died. Was looking into buying in bulk online (1,000-2,000 for 13 slings/juvies) since it is much cheaper, but I don’t want them dying on me within a few weeks. Anybody have any tips? Would putting them in oats w/ pieces of potato make them last longer?

2. I’m no expert but mine usually last a few months.
    I feed them potato slices. Lots of people do oatmeal though.

Cooling them down a bit might help slow the process too. Just don’t freeze them lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. tewebag

tewebag Arachnoknight Active Member

You can put them in the fridge just take them out once a week for a hour or so and give a little bit of carrot.

Or you can just turn those 50 into 50,000. Get some kind of tub (I prefer those three tall stacking drawers), fill it with a couple inches of oatmeal, then occasionally offer a water source (carrot/potato/etc), give them a month and you will have masses of them. It is super easy to get them breeding.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bob Lee

Bob Lee Arachnosquire Active Member

Canada
    Breeding is the best way, your colony can out live you and your children if you do it right :rolleyes:.
    Or you can put them in the fridge(NOT the freezer), that would slow down their development a lot.
    There is also a way to "Freeze Roast" them to preserve them for more then five years.(Not alive, but your spider should still take them).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Phormic28

I was thinking about breeding, but by then I don't think my tarantulas will need that many in the long run seeing as they're all slings of fast growing species. I'll probably just go with a 1,000 large mealworms (to make sure I have enough in case some die) and keep them in the fridge and hope they last a couple months.

6. Bob Lee

Canada
    You can always just sell the extra mealworms that you get by breeding. Starting a feeder colony is a "must do" for this hobby unless you only keep a couple animals.(Which is not possible for this addicting hobby XD...)

7. Phormic28

I agree! But I'm currently staying at home until I get into grad school in the fall so I have to 'abide' by certain rules (meaning I can only keep tarantulas, no other insects besides their food). I feel like I'd give my mom a heart attack if she opened a bin and saw thousands of meal worms lol

8. Bob Lee

Canada
    Maybe she would like dubias more? :rolleyes:

9. tewebag

tewebag Arachnoknight Active Member

What she doesn't know doesn't hurt? :angelic:

10. Phormic28

Do you think they would live 2 months+ if taken out of the fridge twice a week and given food?

11. Bob Lee

Canada
    They would live 2 months+ in normal condition...

12. Phormic28

True, l just don’t want pupating is the only thing.

13. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

Mealworms do great in a cat little tray. An inch or so of bran and a slice of potato/apple and you should be fine.

They tend to die when kept in tubs with a lid as the substrate "sweats".

14. Phormic28

What if I poured them (along with oats for substrate) into a tall glass jar without a lid? Can't really put them in a tray and keep them in the fridge due to family. I can take them out a couple times a week and put apple/potato pieces for them to feed on before putting them back in.

15. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

You want a big surface area really. I don't keep mine in the fridge and they last ages if I don't feed them all off.

16. WildSpider

WildSpider Arachnoknight Active Member

USA
    You could also buy more. I bought 500 large mealworms about a month ago and it looks like I've still got a ton left. They haven't been stored in the refrigerator since I bought them but I have been feeding them. You could also buy them younger so they still have a bit of life left already.