Is there any way to make mealworms live for a longer period of time?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
As the title says, is there a way to make them last longer in the fridge? I’ve bought some at Petco (50 for $3.99 which is absurd tbh) and it hasn’t even been two weeks and most have died. Was looking into buying in bulk online (1,000-2,000 for 13 slings/juvies) since it is much cheaper, but I don’t want them dying on me within a few weeks. Anybody have any tips? Would putting them in oats w/ pieces of potato make them last longer?

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
I’m no expert but mine usually last a few months.
I feed them potato slices. Lots of people do oatmeal though.

Cooling them down a bit might help slow the process too. Just don’t freeze them lol

tewebag

Arachnoknight
You can put them in the fridge just take them out once a week for a hour or so and give a little bit of carrot.

Or you can just turn those 50 into 50,000. Get some kind of tub (I prefer those three tall stacking drawers), fill it with a couple inches of oatmeal, then occasionally offer a water source (carrot/potato/etc), give them a month and you will have masses of them. It is super easy to get them breeding.

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
Breeding is the best way, your colony can out live you and your children if you do it right :rolleyes:.
Or you can put them in the fridge(NOT the freezer), that would slow down their development a lot.
There is also a way to "Freeze Roast" them to preserve them for more then five years.(Not alive, but your spider should still take them).

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I was thinking about breeding, but by then I don't think my tarantulas will need that many in the long run seeing as they're all slings of fast growing species. I'll probably just go with a 1,000 large mealworms (to make sure I have enough in case some die) and keep them in the fridge and hope they last a couple months.

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
I was thinking about breeding, but by then I don't think my tarantulas will need that many in the long run seeing as they're all slings of fast growing species. I'll probably just go with a 1,000 large mealworms (to make sure I have enough in case some die) and keep them in the fridge and hope they last a couple months.
You can always just sell the extra mealworms that you get by breeding. Starting a feeder colony is a "must do" for this hobby unless you only keep a couple animals.(Which is not possible for this addicting hobby XD...)

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
You can always just sell the extra mealworms that you get by breeding. Starting a feeder colony is a "must do" for this hobby unless you only keep a couple animals.(Which is not possible for this addicting hobby XD...)
I agree! But I'm currently staying at home until I get into grad school in the fall so I have to 'abide' by certain rules (meaning I can only keep tarantulas, no other insects besides their food). I feel like I'd give my mom a heart attack if she opened a bin and saw thousands of meal worms lol

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
I agree! But I'm currently staying at home until I get into grad school in the fall so I have to 'abide' by certain rules (meaning I can only keep tarantulas, no other insects besides their food). I feel like I'd give my mom a heart attack if she opened a bin and saw thousands of meal worms lol
Maybe she would like dubias more? :rolleyes:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Or you can put them in the fridge(NOT the freezer), that would slow down their development a lot.
Do you think they would live 2 months+ if taken out of the fridge twice a week and given food?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Mealworms do great in a cat little tray. An inch or so of bran and a slice of potato/apple and you should be fine.

They tend to die when kept in tubs with a lid as the substrate "sweats".

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Mealworms do great in a cat little tray. An inch or so of bran and a slice of potato/apple and you should be fine.

They tend to die when kept in tubs with a lid as the substrate "sweats".
What if I poured them (along with oats for substrate) into a tall glass jar without a lid? Can't really put them in a tray and keep them in the fridge due to family. I can take them out a couple times a week and put apple/potato pieces for them to feed on before putting them back in.

basin79

ArachnoGod
What if I poured them (along with oats for substrate) into a tall glass jar without a lid? Can't really put them in a tray and keep them in the fridge due to family. I can take them out a couple times a week and put apple/potato pieces for them to feed on before putting them back in.
You want a big surface area really. I don't keep mine in the fridge and they last ages if I don't feed them all off.

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
You could also buy more. I bought 500 large mealworms about a month ago and it looks like I've still got a ton left. They haven't been stored in the refrigerator since I bought them but I have been feeding them. You could also buy them younger so they still have a bit of life left already.