1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a How To Get Into Breeding thread?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by CommanderBacon, Apr 15, 2019.

1. CommanderBacon

CommanderBacon Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    I'm curious about how people get into breeding Ts. Is there a How To thread on getting started? I looked and saw a few species-specific threads, but I'm curious about the overall process from beginning to end, to research and see if this is something I'd be interested in. Can I please get some feedback from people who breed Ts, have tried and decided it wasn't for them, links to resources, etc?

Thanks for any feedback, links, or suggestions!

• Like Like x 1
  2. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnobaron Active Member

Ohio
    I'm almost certain that there are indeed threads on the topic. Ask yourself these questions before even thinking about breeding:

1. Am I capable of caring for multiple slings especially if they do not sell (50 for some smaller sacs and 2000 for some larger sacs)?

2. Do I have the space?

3. Do I know what I want to breed?

4. Do I have a plan in place for selling the slings?

5. Can I accept the fact that I may have to just give slings away?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnobaron Active Member

Well.... Here's my experience then and now.
    My first experience of breeding T.'s was 4 almost 5 years ago at age 14. It wasn't my T.'s but a friends, so think of it as an internship and training with T.'s. From what I can say then, it was much easier to deal with them since I was doing it with an experienced person who was way older than me with supervision. Also my friend provided all the supplies and stuff. Which was cool and we did the separation of the slings, but I did most of the breeding with supervision. It was tricky, but then it got easy with time and experience. This was back then in a nutshell, so here's now.

But now, since I started my own collection 2/3 years ago it has been way more challenging. I have to balance college, work, and 300+ slings ATM. I well sell off my B. albo slings for cheap once the semester ends this month when I have more time. But I gotta say, of everything. "Time" is the most precious thing on breeding T.'s. I hardly have time to do things, but I already knew that. So it's not such a hassle as most people will cry from dealing with the numbers. If you breed, prepare ahead of time. I mean prepare enclosures, space, food, and everything. It's not so bad if you're prepared. I spend about 5 hours feeding 300+ B. albo slings chopped mealworms. But then again I don't do much on weekends but college essays.

From experience if there is 3 factors that makes it hard for me: Time, Food, and selling. It takes too much time and if your not patient then stay away from breeding. Food is the worst situation for me, while mealworms, red runners, and dubias can produce fast. It can't keep up to feeding schedules of 300+ slings. Lastly, selling the species may or may not be a challenge. If you're breeding a more uncommon/rare species, you can expect easy selling. But in my case, I have 300+ B. albo slings that sell for dirt cheap and are everywhere, so it's much harder in my case. I don't mind though, because why not? :playful:.

Here's my advice on selling any T.'s. Wholesale will save your life and cheap and fair pricing will get sales. I know I haven't covered the basics, but everyone already knows the numbers game and so on. So they can explain that. You're not making a lot money, but at least you can help deal with the Inflation that the US T. market has on reputable sellers. :troll:

• Like Like x 2
  4. CommanderBacon

@PanzoN88 Thank you so much for the response. What I would look at breeding depends on several factors, so I'm looking for more information about what the actual process involves so I can figure out what to expect before I make a decision about whether or not to try it. I would definitely sell wholesale, so I plan to reach out to vendors I have a relationship with to see what they could use or recommend that I start with to help fill in gaps in the market. My searches on AB didn't unearth any general How To threads, so if you know of any, I would greatly appreciate links.

@Liquifin Thank you so much - I know you've been busting your ass with slings, so I was hoping you'd comment! I'd love to have a mentor, but right now, I'm just doing research to help make a decision about whether or not I want to actually do this. If I decide to move forward with it, I plan to reach out to vendors in my region to see what species are in demand or may be soon in demand to help round out their species lists. I'd likely start with one to try to figure out the process.

Feeding and checking on my slings is fun and relaxing for me. I work at home most days, and I'm putting my partner through medical school right now, so I'm considering this because I have plenty of time on my hands and I don't like to leave the house anyway. Sitting around a few days a week listening to podcasts and dropping prey items into souffle cups sounds dreamy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

I didn't have any plans on breeding, but changed my mind after being involved with one of our dealers on a voluntary basis that gave me what I needed to put together a plan.
    I learned more about the market - which species sold and which were being given away as freebies due to complete lack of demand. I got a taste of what it is like dealing with the public - people constantly hassling you over the price and trying to rip you off in various ways. I watched other people have no end of headaches trying to sell them online. I watched how bottom of the barrel pricing set precedence until some species were so undervalued that it was ridiculous. I watched how women trying to sell in this hobby were treated versus men.
    I decided that I would invest in some rarer species, or species who had been missing from the hobby for a while. I made some contacts that provided me with mature males of a couple of species that were in high demand and short supply. I made sure that I had a dealer lined up willing to take every last one of them off my hands. I found a source of inexpensive deli cups and other supplies.
    I have only bred a handful that I know are in high demand. I have been offered countless males by people that I have turned down, because I know that they have no demand. I keep my eye on other people in my area and what they are in the process of trying to breed so I don't get stuck. I know that I am in a good position with some of my species. I will not breed for the sake of breeding - I will only breed when it benefits the animals and the hobby in addition to myself. I know that there is very little, if any, money to be made once my costs and time are factored in and I only breed if it is truly worth my while to.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  6. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnobaron Active Member

Quote of of the year for Arachnoboards . If only people in the US took this as truth, then there wouldn't be overly high inflation on reputable sellers in the US.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Ive bred a few different species. It's one of the most awesome experiences you can have in the hobby. Such different behavior. It's quite unique.

Obviously, use your head and prepare for how many slings you may get. But a bunch of small delis in bulk in advance. Find feeders, etc.

There's a thousand vendors in the states you can wholesale practically anything to. Not so much in Canada. We have two main dealers. And a small handful of private breeders.

Different species have different levels of difficulty when it comes to breeding. Don't bother trying with Xenesthis or Theraphosa for your first time basically. There's sometimes a reason beyond greed why a genus or species stays expensive for decades.

Alot of arid species can be quite difficult tmk. The tropical genera are your best bet. Particularly South American. Minus a few genera.

The best species to breed bar none is Caribena versicolor. Those things are the beginner keepers crack cocaine. They sell like crazy from what I've seen. C versicolor is probably around the low to middle of the ladder to breed. If you can, go for it. Everyone will buy.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. CommanderBacon

@VanessaS Thank you so much. I'm considering these factors, as well. I'd mainly like to have some expectation what the experience requires of me and decide whether it sounds like something I'd like to do, but I definitely don't want to breed anything that there's no demand for. I just keep seeing the same species on species lists and I'd like to help there be more variety, so I would check to see if there will be a demand before I try to breed anything, if that's in fact what I try to do. I'm still not really sure where to look as far as breeding guides are concerned except for what's in the Tarantula Keeper's Guide that I have. Any recommendations?

@Venom1080 Versicolor are very cool! I'll consider it, if I decide to try my hand at breeding. Any resources you could point me to? Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  9. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

I would choose the species first and then go from there. You can read the breeding reports here and also check on YouTube for breeding videos. Also, start a thread asking what to expect - average size of egg sac, any preparations beforehand like a cool down, how aggressive are females with males, any cooling down after pairing, how long before seeing signs of being gravid or to egg sac production. It differs from species to species, or, at the very least, from genus to genus, so deciding what species that you would like to breed is the first step I would take. Also start looking at incubation chamber building videos on YouTube.
    I find that breeding Avicularia species is a good start. No cooling down, females are usually very receptive and not overly aggressive, short gestation period and manageable sized egg sacs. They are also in high demand for the most part. Their only downside is that your spiderling containers are more elaborate and larger. They will likely cost you more money than terrestrial supplies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  10. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Experienced breeders.