1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a generally accepted rule for enclosure size?

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by Pigbeak, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Pigbeak

Pigbeak Arachnopeon Classifieds User

Hungary
    Advertisement
    I know that fossorial, arboreal and terrestrial species need different enclosures. However, I'm not sure about the appropriate length x height for adults. It is a bit unrelated, but a friend of mine has been making enclosures and aquariums out of glass, are there any adhesives that can potentionally harm my Ts and should be avoided?

2. MBArachnids

MBArachnids Arachnosquire Active Member

Well i am not certain what it would be called in your country but at the local pet shop we have animal friendly silicone :D I use that on my glass and flexiglass enclosures. I also use it on the hinges of my glass enclosures so i don't need to drill as well as my magnetic locking mechanism at the door.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dry Desert

Dry Desert Arachnobaron Active Member

UK
    Never use adhesive/silicon that contain fungicidal treatment as used in general building trades. Always use aquarium safe silicon as sold in tropical fish/ reptile shops.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. MBArachnids

MBArachnids Arachnosquire Active Member

Also you can find quite a few youtube videos on how to use that "safe silicone" together with foam or polystyrene. You take a big chunk of the material, cut it into rock like shapes, smear silicone over it and throw on some substrate till it is fully covered.

The substrate then sticks to the foam or poly and it makes a really cool Arboreal background.. I used one where i put a hole in it and it acted as a hide for my P. irminia

All the best

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

In horizontal space, I try to give them at least 2-3 times their leg span in any direction.

For terrestrials, limit the vertical distance between the top of the substrate and the lid to no more than 1.5 times the tarantula's diagonal leg span. This is because these tarantulas will sometimes climb despite not being very good at it, and if they fall from a height, their abdomens may rupture, which is fatal.

Fossorials (obligate burrowers) should be given deep substrate for burrowing. How much will vary by species, but 3 times the tarantula's diagonal leg span is probably a good start.

You can use the fossorial height for arboreals, but don't fill it with substrate. Avicularia and their kin spend most of their time in the top half of the enclosure and build web tubes or hammocks, while Psalmopoeus will generally stay in the lower half and build dirt curtains.

See Tarantula Information for Beginners (and More).

Use aquarium-safe silicone and let it cure until there is no odor of vinegar.