Is tarantula keeping your main hobby?

Is tarantula keeping, your main hobby?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
I don't really see it as a hobby, but it's the only thing I really do outside of work nowadays, so I guess it counts. They make me happy. I would like to make my life all about tarantulas, even if I'll be starting somewhat late, I think it will be super worth it.

HugsTaco

Arachnopeon
Not really my main hobby, but if it keeps growing at the pace it is, then it will be shortly!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Excellent pic! I love the martial aesthetic of your dog, with the prey in the mouth... pure art :)
Thank you! I wish I had been a better editor back then, or at least saved the original file so I could re-edit it later on... it is one of my absolute favourite photos of him.

Is my dirt bike a hobby? Did I at least get that one correct?
LOL yeah, I'll give ya that one :rofl:

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Thank you! I wish I had been a better editor back then, or at least saved the original file so I could re-edit it later on... it is one of my absolute favourite photos of him.

LOL yeah, I'll give ya that one :rofl:
Hey thanks man.

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
My main hobbies are Amateur Radio (my call sign is W8MLD) and bow hunting deer, which opens this weekend. I have incorporated the Ts into my Amateur radio by having my B hamorii sling on my desktop near my radio mic.

Zaire

Arachnolurker
Not my main hobby (yet). I am really into heavily planted aquariums, with nano fish and shrimp and snails. I also sometimes play guitar (horribly) and read a whole lot.

We're my living situation different, I would also have snakes. One day I will have my carpet pythons again. And maybe a savu. And a spotted. And a woma. And a Baird's ratsnake - I don't usually care much for coloubrids but they are gorgeous.

Sykomp

Arachnopeon
Oh, this has been an interestin thread to read! Fun to see how different hobbies everyone here has, yet share the passion towards tarantula keeping.

I also don't really consider T's a hobby on it's own, more like it's just a part of my pet-keeping in general, which on the other hand is a hobby and a pretty wholesome lifestyle. I like many types of animals and also keep them, as much as my time and living space allows.
Right now I have for example a dog (large, active dog so most of my time goes with her), snake, my T's of course, and a rabbit, but I've been waiting for the last five years the perfect time to finally get a parrot. Though next I'll probably get a hamster, since my rabbit is very old and after his death I know I will miss having a smaller non-flying pet that requires regular cleaning after, but on the other hand want to have space left for birdkeeping... Yeah.
I love almost all animals and use also insane amounts of time researching about them, how to train them, and how to arrange the best possible living conditions. I'm very passionate about my pets!

Apart from animals and pet-keeping, I'd say my most important hobby is world building, role playing, books, writing and other fantasy stuff combined. I have many other hobbies too, but out of them pets and fantasy stuff are definitely the biggest parts of my life.

Dragondrool

Arachnosquire
While I'm aware there are people that have tarantulas purely for scientific and/or profitable purposes, the majority of us are in this hobby due to the simple pleasure of keeping tarantulas.

Just curious as to how many of us would regard it as our 'main' hobby. The definition of main hobby will invariably differ between users, but as a general rule, if it's the hobby you invest the most time in - through choice, not because it's time consuming - then I'd say it's your main hobby.

Personally, I'd say it's 3rd or 4th from my main hobby.
Art is my main hobby. If I'm not drawing I'm taking care of my pets. If I'm not doing that I
m doing taxidermy. I also have a lot of collections

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
While I spend more time dealing with my roaches than my spiders, the roaches are more of a job than a hobby. So yes, tarantula keeping is my main hobby. The next closest thing would be shooting, but that's a distant second in terms of both passion and time spent.

ohnono

Arachnopeon
Interesting thread! It's cool to see how many of us like same things..

Not really my main hobby, but if it keeps growing at the pace it is, then it will be shortly!
lol, same here. But for the time being I kinda juggle between writing, painting, sculpting, bellydancing, hiking, biking, flying and taking care of all my aquariums, plants and tarantulas. Ts are new, everything else I've been doing for decades... I even sleep sometimes! :astonished:

bean man

Arachnopeon
other than keeping spiders, I keep scorpions, beetle larvae and caterpillars right now.
I've kept lizards, a tortoise, tadpoles, mantises (which died a week ago, rip), and some fish.
My oldest hobbies are collecting bugs, which I kill and put their exoskeleton in my collection, stones, crystals, old coins and seashells. and drawing stuff.
I dunno if playing video games are considered a hobby?

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
I only have one T so it's definitely not my main hobby. I collect vinyl records, that's my main game. Can't even begin to tell you the hundreds upon possible thousands of dollars I've spent on albums. Lots of obscure stuff that costs me a pretty penny, but looks wonderful in my collection!

Luka98

Arachnosquire
I collect vinyl records
I used to be a collector when i was younger. The last record i got was a British edition "Who are you" by The Who, dream record of mine because i love Keith Moon and it was his last one, somebody stole it when my parents were playing it at a house party and i lost the will to collect them ever since. Kinda miss it now :D

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
It's not my only hobby. I'm also into Linux and computers but due to the needs of living things, it takes up a fair amount of time.

Still, rehabbing my ex feral cat Nyx, aka the nipster, is probably my number one thing.

Attachments

Zevil

Arachnosquire
I keep various animals as well. I love gaming, watching anime and reading too.