1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is tarantula keeping your main hobby?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by mmcg, Sep 13, 2018.

Is tarantula keeping, your main hobby?

This poll will close on Oct 6, 2018 at 11:24 PM.
  1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Arachno-heretic Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    They are one of my main hobbies but not the only one, especially when I consider Nyx my rescue cat.

Nyx Is there a God.jpg Nyx-peaceful-noflash1.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnobaron Active Member

Ohio
    This was difficult one to answer. I do view tarantula keeping as my main hobby, but martial arts (2 styles) and church related responsibilities are right up there as well, I do have a garden filled with vegetables, fruit, and herbs, but that is not my main hobby as it is only seasonal. The other three hobbies are year round.

• Like Like x 1
  3. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnoknight Active Member

I consider T keeping a part of my more broad interest in wildlife, which I would say ranks within the top three. Other hobbies include history, firearms, and hiking (kind of part and parcel with the wildlife thing). However, reading about all of the above takes up the most of my, albeit limited, spare time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  4. Hoops71

Hoops71 Arachnopeon

UK
    Have too many hobbies to list! Mainly travel, reading, arty stuff and keeping critters.

5. nburgmei

nburgmei Arachnopeon

I would say no. It's high up there, but I think it ranks below kayaking and hiking and somewhere along the same level as growing native wildflowers. It beats out fantasy football though (even though that sucks my life away during the season).

• Like Like x 1
  6. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    After having kids a lot of my other hobbies have gone by the wayside. The tarantulas have taken center stage hobbywise because I can spend a lot of time on then if I want and minimal time on them if I have other stuff to do.

The only other hobby I refuse to give up is hunting. Motorcycle got sold, guitars haven’t been played in ages and there is a lot of dust on the beer breeing equipment. Kids get the majority of my attention now.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoking Active Member

My parents aren’t fans of my Ts but I’m not going to lose interest in tarantula spiderlets just moving to having more old then new world worlds.
    I consider movies a big hobby & tv . My legs hurt too bad to do any exercise wich I used to like to do.
    As broke as I am I like my Ts and have enough enclosures for 100 Ts. Sadly half around half that.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 10:04 PM
  8. mmcg

mmcg Arachnosquire Active Member

London
    Bet you can't wait until they move out. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    Naaa, enjoying it while I can. A major stilulation to selling the bike was that I’m aloud to buy a new one whenever its time. I’ll get back to it eventually.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  10. mmcg

mmcg Arachnosquire Active Member

London
    Obtaining my motorbike licence is an ambition of mine. :)

11. Vinny2915

Vinny2915 Arachnosquire

skateboarding always comes first, then arachnids, then photography

• Like Like x 1
  12. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnoknight Active Member

When I get into something I tend to go all out and laser-focus on that thing (keeping inverts) - to the point where I'm slightly embarrassed by how many T's I have. Especially since I've seen where people have called others with a lot of T's "stamp collectors", I but I don't personally see a problem as they don't really take that much time to take care of.

• Like Like x 1
  13. FrDoc

DO IT! You’ll never look back.

14. Theneil

Theneil Arachnolord Active Member

USA
    i am the same. I can only handle one thing at a time or stuff gets half-arsed (at best) and then i wouldn't be able to enjoy it anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. wetwork

wetwork Arachnosquire

CA
    I work a lot of hours and my commute is about 1 hr each way so I don't have as much free time as I used to.
    #1 - Reading - I read on my breaks, during my lunch, on the elliptical, and for about an hour before I go to bed.
    #2 - Tarantulas/Spiders - they have their own room now so I don't see them as much anymore but I take my time feeding/watering them to maximize the time I do see them
    #3 - Chess, but I've been neglecting this lately due to work. Would love to play OTB more but have settled on online chess

16. miamc12321

miamc12321 Arachnopeon Arachnosupporter

I said no, because my main hobby is gaming. The Ts are pets to us. We name um all. And goofy name's, too! A avic is Leela from Futurama :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tbh, I see my tarantulas more as pets than hobbies as well. My hobbies are silversmithing, jewelry making, playing D&D, writing, and making art.... I suppose video games as well, but I think that falls under 'favored entertainment', like reading and watching TV isn't really a hobby.

• Like Like x 1
  18. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnodemon Arachnosupporter

I think I don't mind calling invert-keeping a hobby because they lack the complex brains to connect with me, so interacting with them is not a bonding experience between me and the animal. That doesn't mean I don't care for them properly or keep them in the best conditions I can, but the fact that I don't have to spend extra time on them for the sake of bonding with them or giving them the social interaction they need creates a distinction for me. However, I do call them pets when asked about them, so I don't really know what to consider it at this point.

Onto the main question: I don't exclusively consider tarantula keeping as my main hobby. Invert keeping would be the top for me. I don't exclusively keep tarantulas, and what is my absolute main focus often depends on the season. Tarantulas may be a constant, but they are among my lowest maintenance animals, so they're not always prioritized over other inverts.

• Like Like x 1
  19. FrDoc

@mmcg, I want to send kudos for this thread, as it has been the catalyst for some personal introspection and clarification. Initially, I presented what I perceived to be several interests, when in fact I can lump most of them together as collectively being a part of my main hobby of being an amateur naturalist, of which keeping T’s is merely a part. So, yeah, it is my main hobby. Consequently, if I had the option to change my vote to yes, I would, and I believe that would move the results of your poll to about 50/50 given current results.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018 at 1:34 PM
    • Like Like x 3
  20. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    Well, there's my tarantulas and then there's my cats that take up a lot of time and seasonally my garden/plant collection. And at the weekends I spend a quite a bit of time dragging hay around for my friends horses... my main hobby are animals, pure and simple, and some plants thrown in for good measure. If there's some time left over I may do some painting, or even knitting :penguin:, usually late at night, although that's more for winter when the garden doesn't need much care.

• Like Like x 3
    • Beer Beer x 1