Is my T spoiled?

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards

Personally, I think it's a great set up...but not for a T. Now stick a lizzard in there and you betcha that would be one "livin' high on the hog" little dude!:D
I'm glad to see that you are going to make some changes to your set up as your T will be more comfortable and less likely to be injured. Are you going to remove that lamp? I hope so as tarantulas are not fond of light, especially dirrect light and care is very different than lizzard care and that set up looks a bit too much like "lizzard conditions".
As far as tank size goes...I think that will be an endless debate. We keep our rosie in a 10 gallon and she is 4 inches. Some would say that was too much, but if you saw her half log, you'd understand why we keep her in such a big tank. She's kind of an odd ball for a female, she likes to wonder around and stretch out a lot, which she can't really do in her log.
We all have no doubt that your intentions were nothing but good for your rosie and I don't think anyone here would fault you for that. I wanted to do a lot of "decorating" when we first got our rosie but the hubby told me no and told me why.
Ts like it simple, good luck and welcome to the boards...we're here to help and be helped...

harwin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Some suggestion on the aesthetic...
1. Get rid of pebbles and that white rock thing. They just look weird and out of place.
2. The drift wood looks cool but place the wood flat or/and half buried in substrate will be better.
3. I think human looking skull are too cliche :p. If your going for originality I think a non-human skull will look cool. Some damage better still (just make sure edges are safe).

These will be original :). Hominds skull Can't find any website selling animal skulls :(. Anyone knows?

have fun,

Drosera123

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
And that is nonsense. Like? How can an animal with their nervous system *like* anything. You give them a lot of room, they explore some of it to hunt. You give them less room, they don't explore to hunt because they don't have to, end of story. There is no "enjoying the view" with a tarantula. Habitat either meets their requirements for survival or it doesn't - aesthetics and feng shui (sp?) just aren't an issue.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you mean you'd rather cram a 3in. G. rosea in a pillbottle rather than a petpal so it can find food easier ect?lol
Steve

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Drosera123
---------------------------------------------------------------

So you mean you'd rather cram a 3in. G. rosea in a pillbottle rather than a petpal so it can find food easier ect?lol
Steve

I dare say that having a certain amount of space falls within "requirements for survival" :rolleyes:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Drosera123
Steve
So tell me, is ignorance really bliss?

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about so you take a factual set of statements and take the most absurd example you could come up with to try and refute me, not even a decent try.

2.5X x 1.5X legspan area for terrestrials is *ideal*, 1.5X x 1.5X is acceptable. Less is bad, more is a waste of space. Unless you can cite something that inviolates that classic principle of tarantula husbandry beyond your patently false notion that they like to explore you should keep your ideas to yourself.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
In the wild, a female T spends her entire life inside a tiny little burrow, and generally doesn't stray further than a foot from her burrow.... sooooo, I wouldn't say that a 12" x 12" container would be too small at all!!

They like to feel "secure", much like a kangaroo in mama's pouch!

Drosera123

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey, i'm just joking around a little, don't take me too seriously. But, ignorance does feel pretty good, you should try it sometime.
Steve

WULF03

Arachnopeon
47 replies?I should think that maybe someone out there knows what they are talking about?He He He