Is my T in premolt?

Malaric

Arachnopeon
Hello. I have bought my first T 4 days ago now :) B. Smithi. ( or mabey hamorri) i buy the T at a pet shop. Yes i know, dont buy at a petshop. But i couldent wait to get started with the hobby :) its to cold now here in my country to ship T's. Anyway, my T dosent wanna eat, and seem allmost scared when i try to give it a mealworm or cricket. The abdomen is really black i think, but its not that big? And no shiny spot. So, since im new to the hobby (newb) is there someone out there that can see if its in premolt? :)
Thank you so much!

Attachments

Minty

@londontarantulas
Welcome and that's a great looking tarantula. To me, it looks like a Brachypelma smithi.

It's got a good sized abdomen so you don't need to worry about it not eating for now, just make sure you keep the water dish topped up. It may be in premoult, or it may just not be hungry. Leave it a week or so and try again.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
I think I see a slightly different colored patch on the back of the abdomen, so I'm fairly sure it is.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I agree with @Minty, this looks actually like a B. smithi. Those are much rarer than B. hamorii. Beautiful T! :) Congrats!

Also, I think @lostbrane is right, the end of the abdomen looks quite dark underneath. So, she could be very well in premoult.
By the way, did you buy her as a confirmed female (or male) or is it unsexed? I mean, at this size it should be sexed. ;)

P.S.: I'd give her a bigger enclosure, this one seems too small for her.

Malaric

Arachnopeon
I agree with @Minty, this looks actually like a B. smithi. Those are much rarer than B. hamorii. Beautiful T! :) Congrats!

Also, I think @lostbrane is right, the end of the abdomen looks quite dark underneath. So, she could be very well in premoult.
By the way, did you buy her as a confirmed female (or male) or is it unsexed? I mean, at this size it should be sexed. ;)

P.S.: I'd give her a bigger enclosure, this one seems too small for her.
Thanks for answer man :) i did buy it unsexed. The pet shop man dident know a thing abort sexing the T... but i know how to see it. From a molt, so i need it to molt first :)
Thanks for letting me know that the enclosure might be to small :)

I think I see a slightly different colored patch on the back of the abdomen, so I'm fairly sure it is.
Thanks for answer man! :)

Welcome and that's a great looking tarantula. To me, it looks like a Brachypelma smithi.

It's got a good sized abdomen so you don't need to worry about it not eating for now, just make sure you keep the water dish topped up. It may be in premoult, or it may just not be hungry. Leave it a week or so and try again.
Thank you so much for reply :) i will then try not to worry to much :) im also very happy for the smithi, its dos looks great :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Thanks for answer man :) i did buy it unsexed. The pet shop man dident know a thing abort sexing the T... but i know how to see it. From a molt, so i need it to molt first :)
I might take her/him some time to actually moult, but at that size, an experienced keeper should be able to sex it ventrally. If you can get a clear picture of its underside (in focus and high resolution) post it here: http://arachnoboards.com/gallery/categories/epiandrous-fusillae-sexing-not-molts.9/

Thanks for letting me know that the enclosure might be to small :)
Feel free to post some pictures once you set up the new enclosure. :)
Your T needs a few inches of dry (!) substrate (more is never wrong ;)), a water dish (I'd use a bigger one than you have there) and a hide, maybe some safe decorations. Just make sure the space between substrate and the top is not more than 1,5xDLS of your T. And don't use a mesh lid. (S)he might climb and could get their tarsal claws stuck in it.

Here's a great thread to read: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/fantastic-beginner-tarantulas-and-how-to-keep-them.314840/ :)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
B. smithi. (or maybe hamorii)
Brachypelma smithi (ex annitha), great find, they're harder to come by and usually more expensive than B. hamorii.

Anyway, my T dosent wanna eat, and seem allmost scared when i try to give it a mealworm or cricket.
It's not hungry, could be in pre-moult but it's more likely that the pet store have overfed it and it's just fasting. Just make sure it has water available and try feeding it every other week.

The abdomen is really black i think, but its not that big? And no shiny spot.
It hasn't kicked any hairs off so you won't be able to tell this way, when they kick off enough hairs it leaves a skin coloured bald patch, when a tarantula is close to moulting the bald patch will turn black/shiny.

Malaric

Arachnopeon
I might take her/him some time to actually moult, but at that size, an experienced keeper should be able to sex it ventrally. If you can get a clear picture of its underside (in focus and high resolution) post it here: http://arachnoboards.com/gallery/categories/epiandrous-fusillae-sexing-not-molts.9/

Feel free to post some pictures once you set up the new enclosure. :)
Your T needs a few inches of dry (!) substrate (more is never wrong ;)), a water dish (I'd use a bigger one than you have there) and a hide, maybe some safe decorations. Just make sure the space between substrate and the top is not more than 1,5xDLS of your T. And don't use a mesh lid. (S)he might climb and could get their tarsal claws stuck in it.

Here's a great thread to read: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/fantastic-beginner-tarantulas-and-how-to-keep-them.314840/ :)
I will send some pics when i make the new enclosure :) waiting for my coco fiber to dry.. dident know it would take that long to dry. I have spread some out now so i hope soon rdy. Yes, a experienced keeper would know if a female or male. But i did buy it at a local pet shop... so, no experienced there, lol. I will sexing it my self when it molt, or if i can see it from down under :)

Brachypelma smithi (ex annitha), great find, they're harder to come by and usually more expensive than B. hamorii.

It's not hungry, could be in pre-moult but it's more likely that the pet store have overfed it and it's just fasting. Just make sure it has water available and try feeding it every other week.

It hasn't kicked any hairs off so you won't be able to tell this way, when they kick off enough hairs it leaves a skin coloured bald patch, when a tarantula is close to moulting the bald patch will turn black/shiny.
Thanks for letting me know its a smithi :) im really happy i got it. I know its more rare then a hamorri. Yes, you might be right that its just not hungry. I will try feed it once evry week, and look for the shiny bald spot :)

Hey aigen guys. I tried to take pics from under the T. Its not so clear. But can you guys see if its a female or male? :) i my self, thinking its a male.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Malaric

Arachnopeon
After one week, and after rehouse 2 times. My smithi is now eating :) im very happy! So, mabey not in premolt after all. It just took its time to settle in, mabey it was abit stress. But now evrythings seems to be okay :)