Is my sling molting?

Russette

Arachnopeon
As above, is my sling molting?

This sling is a C. versicolor that I got on October 14. I rehoused it immediately after acquiring it and it started making webs. I tried to feed it and it killed a mealworm but didn't appear to eat it. Now it's lying upside down in a web hammock.

This is my first tarantula so I'm not really sure.

Attachments

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Yes it is! It's a really interesting process, def watch it if you can (without disturbing it). Congrats on getting your first T btw!

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
As above, is my sling molting?

This sling is a C. versicolor that I got on October 14. I rehoused it immediately after acquiring it and it started making webs. I tried to feed it and it killed a mealworm but didn't appear to eat it. Now it's lying upside down in a web hammock.

This is my first tarantula so I'm not really sure.
Sounds like molting to me. I can't tell from the image, but if it's on its back and making periodic pulsing motions, it's indeed molting and you should not disturb it.

Russette

Arachnopeon
Umm...
I left the sling alone for about a day and a half and when I checked again it was right side up and clinging to the glass. There is no sign of a shed exoskeleton.

Was I mistaken in thinking that it was molting? It's still in the web that it made. I haven't moved or opened the container but the water is empty. Should I risk giving it more water or should I just wait and see?

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
just as a general you shouldn't, bother you're T. especially as its molting, im pretty sure it either threw it somewhere or will start again soon, an other photo of the update would be helpful, but I haven't really seen my Ts flip over for no reason. I usually have my water full always.

inb4: yeah I know about threat posture and that doesn't count

Last edited:

Minty

@londontarantulas
Umm...
I left the sling alone for about a day and a half and when I checked again it was right side up and clinging to the glass. There is no sign of a shed exoskeleton.

Was I mistaken in thinking that it was molting? It's still in the web that it made. I haven't moved or opened the container but the water is empty. Should I risk giving it more water or should I just wait and see?
Sounds like you were mistaken. Might be in premoult.

Russette

Arachnopeon
As an update...

Still no molt.
The sling is still moving around and constructing elaborate tube webs.

I offered pre-killed prey two days ago and it wasn't interested so I removed it.
I've made an effort to keep the water bowl full and dripped some water drops on the webbing and sides of the container. I was careful not to get the spider wet.

I guess I just have to be patient.

cold blood

Staff member
offer live prey....avic types tend to focus on movement a lot....not all take pre kill.

Because they molt in sealed chambers off the ground, you can leave prey roaming with little worry.

Russette

Arachnopeon
Finally...I took your advice Cold Blood and offered a live cricket. The sling killed it but didn't eat it. I kept making sure it had water and left it alone as its abdomen looked plump. Last night the waiting paid off. When I checked the water in the enclosure, the tube Web looked very dense and the sling looked like it had twice as many legs at it was supposed to. This morning the sling was stretching it's legs next to the old molt. Strangely it doesn't look like it flipped on its back to molt but was standing on the side of the web. I guess now it know how a molting T acts for future reference

Would you recommend leaving it alone for a week or so before trying to feed?

cold blood

Staff member
Yes, feed in a week...it needs to harden up.

You will know when it's ready to feed again as it will start roaming or hunting.