Is my Scorpion About to Molt

dawndelcastillo

Arachnopeon
Hello all, i am new to the forum and one year in on caring for Scorpions. I currently have two species, an emperor and flat rock (separate cages). They are terrifically spoiled and have nice spots.

Anyway I have had the emperor almost a year now and he hasn't molted and he has been acting very strange this week. I would say he is possibly in pre-molt but he isn't fat like a little sausage so now I fear something is wrong. He hasn't been injured or handled much until last night.

Here is what is going on.

this last Saturday I cleaned his cage completely and put in clay moisture balls (false bottom) and covered with brand new Legarti substrate. I baked all of his hides to ensure there were no bugs being put back into the new enclosure. I redecorated and gave him a ton of new little spots. I put him in and he genuinely loved it, cruised around like normal then went to his hide and dug around a bit. About half hour later i thought I would try to feed him (he rarely eats, or that i see anyway). I threw one cricket in by him and he flew out to catch it, I gave him another one and he took it and went to town. Happy scorp. I removed the other one then three days later but another one in.

That night he was in his water dish (he likes to do that) and eating what looked like substrate/dirt, didn't look like a cricket. He was chewing and chewing away on it. I thought maybe the cricket was dirty and didn't stress it, I try to leave him alone.

He has been fine up until last night. I went to spray his enclosure and clean up any debris and he was hardly moving. I picked him up, and he is genuinely easy to handle, but this time he sat in my hand and only moved a little bit. His tail is up but not in threat posture. Pinchers out or closer to his body. he still looks like he has dirt in his mouth. While in my hand I put some water by his mouth and he moved his mouth around to drink I guess. Dirt didnt' come out.

I put him back down and he flicked his tail oddly, side to side, not fast, almost like he was stinging himself but he didn't. I got worried and put him in a little controlled dish in his cage, have the temp set to 75. He moves, he shifts, but is fairly still. He looks a little yellow on the edges, almost like molt but again he isn't overly fat. I am posting a picture.

I am totally new to this and really love this little guy, want to do the right thing and not ignore an issue. I have a small cardboard hide in the dish with him so he isn't exposed, just took it off for a picture. Paper towel is for moisture to make sure he stays in a humid location.

Attachments

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
I wouldn’t worry too much, I’d place him back in his normal den, and leave him be. Maybe warm him up just a tad. Don’t give him too much moisture. I do believe you have a incoming molt...

dawndelcastillo

Arachnopeon
Thank you Lair, I put him back in last night and brought the heat up to 80 degrees. As long as he stays on the warm side I will leave him in his normal spot, if he wanders I will put him back in a controlled setting. Winter here is cold and even with two heaters on one side it's hard to keep his house warm. He doesn't want to be in his hides, I put him in his hide and he came right out to lay in the open. It's dark enough with no sunlight so I am not worried about that. I will keep an eye on him and post updates. Thanks everyone, nice having a spot to share and get advice

DD

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
Thank you Lair, I put him back in last night and brought the heat up to 80 degrees. As long as he stays on the warm side I will leave him in his normal spot, if he wanders I will put him back in a controlled setting. Winter here is cold and even with two heaters on one side it's hard to keep his house warm. He doesn't want to be in his hides, I put him in his hide and he came right out to lay in the open. It's dark enough with no sunlight so I am not worried about that. I will keep an eye on him and post updates. Thanks everyone, nice having a spot to share and get advice

DD
Just don’t blow the heaters directly on him, using stationary heater should warm the room up pretty good? If he keeps coming out then maybe too warm in the hide? He knows what is best for himself.
Don’t beat yourself up ;)

dawndelcastillo

Arachnopeon
Hi again

He has one ceramic heater on top of cage and one on the side of the glass. I think he just prefers to be out of his hide right now so will leave him alone. I misted the walls and a towel and put it by the heat for humidity. He didn't even notice.

Thanks again, I will keep everyone posted. Hoping he molts in the next week.

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
Hi again

He has one ceramic heater on top of cage and one on the side of the glass. I think he just prefers to be out of his hide right now so will leave him alone. I misted the walls and a towel and put it by the heat for humidity. He didn't even notice.

Thanks again, I will keep everyone posted. Hoping he molts in the next week.
Ohh alright well if he’s in the open then he is soaking up the heat. He will retreat where it is slightly cooler if he gets warmed up or too hot. Have you looked at heat lamps? They are better in every way imo, also it gets warmer m/hotter quicker.
Edit: forgot to add try feeding him again tonight or tomorrow night... if he turns it down could be he is full, or pre molt. However he is an opportunistic hunter. Try again a few days later. He should be Fat if he’s going to molt or pre molt

dawndelcastillo

Arachnopeon
Well he didn't make it, I came home today and found him in the same position as this morning. legs curled under his body. Not sure what happened, maybe i stressed him with my worrying. very sad

dawndelcastillo

Arachnopeon
So I guess I should correct something, even though it doesn't change anything. His legs are totally curled, they are by his side, two of his front ones were curled. his tail is still up, on his back, not out flat. Maybe they die that way sometimes. I am leaving him alone for a day just to be sure.

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
So I guess I should correct something, even though it doesn't change anything. His legs are totally curled, they are by his side, two of his front ones were curled. his tail is still up, on his back, not out flat. Maybe they die that way sometimes. I am leaving him alone for a day just to be sure.
Man I’m going to be optimistic and hope the lil guy is just resting... it doesn’t look to promising though sadly :(