1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is My Hissing Cockroach Pregnant?

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by Roachesintheivy, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Roachesintheivy

Roachesintheivy Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Very recently- just a couple days ago, actually -I received a starter colony of hissing cockroaches. The colony has several adults and several nymphs. I picked up one of the (presumed) adult females this morning and I noticed she seemed unusually fat. However, I'm pretty inexperienced, so I don't know how to tell for sure. I have not seen an ootheca poke out of her body, but I know that's rare to see.

[​IMG]

This is her. After realizing she may be pregnant, I quickly set up a small enclosure for her in a critter carrier (one of those little things you can get at walmart or any petstore).

Also, her name is Crabmeat, by request of a friend.

Sorry that the image is so large, I'm still figuring out how to use the forums and their functions

2. Roachesintheivy

UPDATE: She's mostly been huddled up in the critter keeper all day, and I can see her doing small "breathing" or "heaving" motions, moving her abdomen up and down ever so slightly. Is this a sign of molt or pregnancy? I would very much appreciate a comment!

(and Crabmeat would probably appreciate it to; I'm already trying to cater to her every need.)

3. Roachesintheivy

Update: she definitely was. I am now the proud grandparent of lots of little roach babies.