Is my giant millipede dying? Strange behaviour!

Jimmyeatmyworld

Arachnopeon
Hey people,

I came here because I've just seen my giant millipede acting really strange, I'm afraid it's dying. I've just opened the lid my millipedes home and there it was, curled on the surface (usually it's buried during the day), not moving except form the legs from it's middle section!
I've never seen this strange behaviour and picked it up, but it wouldn't response or change it's behaviour in any way, it just keeps on moving the legs of the middle section.. Otherwise nothing is moving at all, not even the antennae. Usually it immediately starts to crawl over my hand. So my question is: Has anyone seen something familiar before or know what's going on? Could it be because of the heat? (It was all the sudden quite hot today and the substrate was dry when I opened the box) Or is it dying?
I've had it for 1.5 years now and earlier this week it devoured a strawberry so I have no idea what's going on...

Hope someone can help me, thanks a lot!

Aenne

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
First off, what species is it, and what size is it? Temperatures over 82F (27-28C) and low humidity is almost always deadly for millipedes.
However, it could be getting ready to molt, which is why it could be limp. The most important thing is to not disturb it, in case it is molting.
More information (species, size, cage ventilation, cage size, recent health problems, pictures etc etc.) would be needed to narrow the cause down.
I hope he/she gets better though!

Good luck!

Trincess

Arachnopeon
I think it’s molting also. They can molt on the surface. In fact my African millipede is always curled up on the top of her substrate

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Surface molts are common and can last for weeks. Don't touch it, don't feed it, don't move it, don't expose it to too much light. If there are other millis in its tank it is best to gently move the molting milli to another container. Keep humidity high.

Jimmyeatmyworld

Arachnopeon
Thank you guys for the responses. I have kept an eye on it for a few days (it's also an African millipede). After the day with the strange behaviour it has stopped moving. I was optimistic, hoping it's molting. So I took a peak everyday, but it's dead :( It has lost the shiny black colour and a smell eminates from it. Sadly that was my only one (it's sibling once escaped).