1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my G.rosea too fat?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Louis Winthorpe III, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Louis Winthorpe III

Louis Winthorpe III Arachnopeon

usa
    Advertisement
    Below I have a picture from October last year, and the other is from last night. As you can see, her abdomen is quite a bit larger. She doesn't eat much, only about one cricket every 1-1/2 weeks or so. Is her enlarged abdomen a sign of something else going on, or am I just being paranoid?

Attached Files:

2. You're feeding it too much. Stop feeding until the abdomen either loses some of its size, or the spider molts.

3. vickywild

vickywild Arachnoknight

My juevinile is the same. Shes a fatty mc fat fat.

[​IMG]

I just dont offer her as much food as I used to and I *think* her abdomen is shrinking..although I can't be sure.

4. Louis Winthorpe III

Louis Winthorpe III Arachnopeon

usa
    Thanks for the quick replies. I didn't think I was feeding her that much. I was under the impression slings ate more than adults, and she only wants food every 1 to 2 weeks. I didn't think she was getting enough food. I guess I was wrong. >.<

5. G. rosea grow incredibly slowly and don't need to eat as often.

• Like Like x 1
  6. le-thomas

le-thomas Arachnobaron

Along with this, they have a pretty slow metabolism and overfeeding can lead to death.

7. Hobo

Hobo ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Staff Member

They don't eat much.
    I've been caring for a tiny G. rosea second instar (now third) sling since september, and have fed it four times so far. :)

8. vickywild

vickywild Arachnoknight

Theres a guy (or there was a guy) selling a rosie on Gumtree, and in its description he says that "it only needs to eat 3 times a year." I was shocked! I mean, I know they don't eat much, christ I had Brody for 8 years and she probably ate a handful of crickets in that time but to only OFFER 3 times a year?

9. Wow, you guys have some plump G rosea. Very cute though :)