Is my Enclosure Good?

DonNaito

Arachnopeon
I was just asking experts and people with more experience if this is a good habitat for my Asias Forest Scorpion I have the towel over it for humidity and I don’t have a humidity gauge yet so I spray it 3-4 times a day instead of two because idk if my moss is working I have eco-earth so that is helping with humidity aswell just asking for any tips?!

Attachments

DonNaito

Arachnopeon
Also side question he lays right next to the heat mat on the side of the wall not against the wall but like close to it is that ok?

arachnoxious

arachnovelist
Arachnosupporter
The enclosure looks okay. I would encourage you mix a little bit of play sand into the cocofiber and add a few more inches of substrate. These guys love to burrow, in my experience. The play sand will mix into the cocofiber and keep the burrows the scorp makes in good shape and prevent collapsing. You could also, by hand, start a few small holes in the substrate with your hand to encourage the scorpion to burrow in a specific location.

In reference to humidity, I would go to home depot and get the dimensions of the lid and get a piece of acrylic cut (they can cut the acrylic at home depot if you give them the dimensions). That piece of acrylic would hold in humidity so much better than a standard screen top. All you would have to do is drill a few air holes in the acrylic top to encourage proper ventilation. Once that happens you can cut down on spraying so much cause it should hold in moisture just fine. Defiantly get a humidity gauge tho.

If you spray that frequently and want to use one of those wooden hides I would really have you consider substituting it with a cork bark hide. I use cork bark in all of my enclosures that i spray frequently. Cork bark does not grow mold or fungus on it. That regular wooden hide, over time, may grow mold/fungus on it.

DonNaito

Arachnopeon
The enclosure looks okay. I would encourage you mix a little bit of play sand into the cocofiber and add a few more inches of substrate. These guys love to burrow, in my experience. The play sand will mix into the cocofiber and keep the burrows the scorp makes in good shape and prevent collapsing. You could also, by hand, start a few small holes in the substrate with your hand to encourage the scorpion to burrow in a specific location.

In reference to humidity, I would go to home depot and get the dimensions of the lid and get a piece of acrylic cut (they can cut the acrylic at home depot if you give them the dimensions). That piece of acrylic would hold in humidity so much better than a standard screen top. All you would have to do is drill a few air holes in the acrylic top to encourage proper ventilation. Once that happens you can cut down on spraying so much cause it should hold in moisture just fine. Defiantly get a humidity gauge tho.

If you spray that frequently and want to use one of those wooden hides I would really have you consider substituting it with a cork bark hide. I use cork bark in all of my enclosures that i spray frequently. Cork bark does not grow mold or fungus on it. That regular wooden hide, over time, may grow mold/fungus on it.
Thank you and about the heat pad he seems to relax up against it he is active and seems ok but I don’t want him to cook himself

arachnoxious

arachnovelist
Arachnosupporter
Thank you and about the heat pad he seems to relax up against it he is active and seems ok but I don’t want him to cook himself
I would say 75 would be his minimum temp. Do you have a gauge in there? As long as the heat mat is on the side of the tank rather than underneath then I would say you are good. Generally speaking, most scorps can do okay at room temperature. Unless its a species of scorp like Hottentotta hottentotta or something I would not worry too much about it.

Farbones

Arachnopeon
I second everything that Kale mentioned, ever since I cut glass and used it as a lid humidity control has been much much easier.
My AFS Kubo loves to burrow under the rock ledges I have her and in places she's dug 6inches or so under to the bottom glass.
Here's my current setup until I get my plants and springtails in.
Note; all of the burrows here were filled to the tip of the rocks, she dug them all while I was sleeping one night

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Dont bother with a humidity gauge. Just keep the substrate moist.

DonNaito

Arachnopeon
Ok thank you and is a towel ok to put over the lid for now I don’t have the money for a glass top at the moment to keep t humid

JoshBC

Arachnosquire
My P. Cavimanus and H. Spinifer have passed away, mostly keep desert species now. But with setups like that I remember mold was an issue. Direct result of high humidity and low air flow. If that wood looking hide is actually wood, I would keep an eye on it for mold. It can show up pretty fast.

Also, your scorp wont cook itself unless you keep its entire terrarium too hot. If it's up against its heating pad, that's probably because it's cool. As the temp in your home/terrarium increase, you'll find it spends its time on the cooler/wetter side. I used to see it all the time with my scorps. Early morning, especially if I left a window open in the dining room, they would be in a borrow close to the heat pad. During the heat of the day, especially in the summer months, they would be in burrows/hides that were damper and farther away from the heat pad.

I'll post an old pic of my former setup. It has since been given to my brother to house his corn snake. All he had to do was swap the coco fibre for aspen.

I should add, everything in there was either stone or composite. That's how I delt with my mold issues.

Attachments