Is my enclosure alright?

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Snowy, welcome to arachnoboards, powered by groupthink, for good and for ill! This is a classic example of that principal at work. When you have been on the forum for a while, you will learn who the more experienced keepers are and whose word you trust the most on a given issue, but in general, we all sort of log in our opinions and various experiences and leave it to you to decide whose advice to take. As a system, it is surprisingly efficient.

Two things. Don't be surprised if your pulcra decides to burrow. Every pulcra sling I have ever owned has chosen to burrow at that size to feel more secure. You might start a little starter burrow if you haven't already to give it a place to hunker down and feel secure. Pulcras really like to do that. I have one I have raised from a half inch sling that is now about 4 and 1/2 in, and she still prefers being in her hide to being out in the open, unlike a lot of other terrestrial species of that size. I have a brachypelma vagans, almost exactly the same size, who actually tips her hide over. What a little thug.

Second, though, take the possibility of escape very seriously. I say this as a sadder but wiser keeper who failed to do so early on.

Last edited:

Snowy Snowman

Arachnosquire
Snowy, welcome to arachnoboards, powered by groupthink, for good and for ill! This is a classic example of that principal at work. When you have been on the forum for a while, you will learn who the more experienced keepers are and whose word you trust the most on a given issue, but in general, we all sort of log in our opinions and various experiences and leave it to you to decide whose advice to take. As a system, it is surprisingly efficient.

Two things. Don't be surprised if your pulcra decides to burrow. Every pulcra sling I have ever owned has chosen to burrow at that size to feel more secure. You might start a little starter burrow if you haven't already to give it a place to hunker down and feel secure. Pulcras really like to do that. I have one I have raised from a half inch sling that is now about 4 and 1/2 in, and she still prefers being in her hide to being out in the open, unlike a lot of other terrestrial species of that size. I have a brachypelma vagans, almost exactly the same size, who actually tips her hide over. What a little thug.

Second, though, take the possibility of escape very seriously. I say this as a sadder but wiser keeper who failed to do so early on.

Okay, after some debate (and the purchase of a deli cup, which was very hard to find), I've moved it to the deli cup.

Significantly slower than Ts artificially heated? :rofl: So you mean they grow at a... natural pace in nature?! Why does everyonr want their spiders to grow so quickly??

How do you know it likes to chill out in the open if it isn't being given a choice? It very well could... but you should at least offer a hide and some foliage. If nothing else, it is better than just looking at a tub of dirt lol

Okay, after some consideration I moved it to a very hard to find deli cup. It seems to be happier somewhat.

Did you remove the handle from the lid? I'm not sure that they can get out with the handle in place but mine got out through the gap underneath, I tape those gaps over from the inside to be sure now.
View attachment 288180
View attachment 288178
So, I figured I may as well attempt to get a deli cup. Well, I managed to find one after (no joke) all day of looking around supermarkets, and I've moved my T into it. It seems to be happier, as it's not confining itself to one corner.

Sorry, but IMO you shouldn't have done that. That KK is way too big, and especially those ventilation gaps in the lid. It may be able to squeeze through them. Also, there's way too much height between sub and the lid. It shouldn't be more than 1,5 DLS of your T. Additionally, slings tend to hide and burrow more when housed in oversized enclosures. So, you'll get a worse feeding response and slower growth.

I'd really recommend leaving it in the small enclosure (the one you showed us at the beginning) for now and while waiting for the next moult you can get something appropriately sized for your little one.
Alright, so I managed to find a deli cup in a small grocery store, after looking all day through various supermarkets. I promptly moved my T to it, and it seems to be happier. I of course added some cork bark and a waterdish.

Last edited by a moderator:

fleetwoodmcc

Arachnopeon
I cannot believe you couldnt get a deli cup at Wal Mart. I just go up to their deli counter and go “Hey could I get a 16oz deli cup” and theyre usually more than happy to oblige. And its free.

cold blood

Staff member
Significantly slower than Ts artificially heated? :rofl:
Its more than just that, but protection from bad conditions often seen in nature(temp fluctuations included)are significant factors. But the other side is security, in large enclosures you get more of a natural response, which for NW terrestrials, means a lot of burrowing and hiding. In a small enclosure, like a condiment cup, they don't do thus, they tend to sit in the open, this security (for lack of a better term) keeps them eating at a max pace...this not only makes them grow faster, but also makes them easier for the keeper to monitor, especially important for new keepers.

Why does everyonr want their spiders to grow so quickly??
Really?

Because...

1. People like to see their ts grow. Molting is arguably the most exciting part of t ownership, especially when new. Faster growth, faster molts.

2. The faster a sling grows, the less chance of mortality...(slings are a little more fragile). Growing slings more quickly is a great strategy for most people and only helps our high survival rates in captivity.

3. You can't sex a sling, and everyone wants to sex them asap...lol.

boina

Lady of the mites
Significantly slower than Ts artificially heated? :rofl: So you mean they grow at a... natural pace in nature?!
I really don't get the 'nature' argument. No, I don't want my spiders to live like in nature. Most of them die in nature. They hide, they never find food, they starve. They don't hide, they get eaten by others. They have to find a balance between feeding and hiding and that does not lead to optimal growth in nature. I like all my pets to have a safe, comfortable life. It's not absolutely necessary of course, they may still survive otherwise, but it's how I like it. And I don't like to take the chance that my sling is one that hides forever instead of eating and doesn't make it, as I'm sure will happen in nature.

Snowy Snowman

Arachnosquire
I cannot believe you couldnt get a deli cup at Wal Mart. I just go up to their deli counter and go “Hey could I get a 16oz deli cup” and theyre usually more than happy to oblige. And its free.
They didn't have them at my Wal Mart lol

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Its more than just that, but protection from bad conditions often seen in nature(temp fluctuations included)are significant factors. But the other side is security, in large enclosures you get more of a natural response, which for NW terrestrials, means a lot of burrowing and hiding. In a small enclosure, like a condiment cup, they don't do thus, they tend to sit in the open, this security (for lack of a better term) keeps them eating at a max pace...this not only makes them grow faster, but also makes them easier for the keeper to monitor, especially important for new keepers.

Really?

Because...

1. People like to see their ts grow. Molting is arguably the most exciting part of t ownership, especially when new. Faster growth, faster molts.

2. The faster a sling grows, the less chance of mortality...(slings are a little more fragile). Growing slings more quickly is a great strategy for most people and only helps our high survival rates in captivity.

3. You can't sex a sling, and everyone wants to sex them asap...lol.
Well, I guess T keeping is just another area where I have patience that other people lack lol I have slings that are two years old and 1-2", whereas others from the same sac purchased by people who artificially heat and feed as often as possible already have sub-adult, sexed specimens. I am just not in a hurry. Molts are exciting, sure, but I don't at all consider them the "most exciting" part of T ownership.

I have seen several people use "Wal Mart" and "deli" in the same sentence... our Wal Mart is two towns over, firstly, and secondly, doesn't have a "deli counter"... So, believe that getting a deli cup for free from a Wal Mart isn't always possible. :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well, currently I've rehoused him to a deli cup, is this adequate?
That will work. Personally I'd give it more floor space, the diameter is too narrow for my liking (preference based, not scientific). Put it in something larger, you have a quality T, provide it a QUALITY home.

Give you an idea, a 32 oz deli cup, near its opening, has the right size diameter I like to use for a T of your size.

Snowy Snowman

Arachnosquire
That will work. Personally I'd give it more floor space, the diameter is too narrow for my liking (preference based, not scientific). Put it in something larger, you have a quality T, provide it a QUALITY home.

Give you an idea, a 32 oz deli cup, near its opening, has the right size diameter I like to use for a T of your size.
I may have overestimated its size, a more recent estimate puts my guy at just about an 1" DLS

The scale may be a tad confusing, it's a 67oz soup container, which I've filled up to give an ample surface space (I think)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Giant eagle charges for deli cups R.I.P. Walmart has no deli by me.:hurting::wacky:
When I got slings I bought a few then got some containers at stores.
My only sling is nearing juvie :size.