Is my E. murinus sick?

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I got a supposed female E. murinus ~5.5" on 1/26/18. It started eating like crazy a week later but its abdomen is still really tiny and the carapace is spotted... Anyone think theres something wrong with the T or is it just skinny with odd markings?
IMG_0245.JPG IMG_0246.JPG

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I got a supposed female E. murinus ~5.5" on 1/26/18. It started eating like crazy a week later but its abdomen is still really tiny and the carapace is spotted... Anyone think theres something wrong with the T or is it just skinny with odd markings?
View attachment 266745 View attachment 266746
I cannot see anything amiss with this one from the pictures. It´s not that skinny and as long as it eats and otherwise acts normally I don´t think there is anything to worry about. Tarantulas also don´t get "sick" like we do. :)

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
Looks exactly like mine, I'd say yours looks like she's in good health. If I remember correctly, the "markings" on the carapace are actually just places where hair has been rubbed off, usually from squeezing into tight spaces and stuff like that. And most Ephebopus murinus I've seen tend to stay on the thinner side, they definitely don't get as chunky as G pulchra or whatever. As long as she's acting normal, I wouldn't worry:D

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Since the spider is rather brown with cream stripes instead of black with white stripes, I'm guessing it is not a female but a male, and probably mature as well. Can you post a pic of its pedipalps and first pair of legs?

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
Looks fine to me. E. murinus will never be fat, like some NW terrestrials. Those markings on carapace are also normal.
I don't think it is male, but can't be sure without better pictures.
Here is pic of my young female, so you can compare, looks really similar to your spider.

It was in pre moult, so this is as fat as it gets.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 266745 View attachment 266746
You can try feeding it a couple super worms or a couple large roaches if you want it to gain some weight but it doesn't look concerningly thin to me.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Since the spider is rather brown with cream stripes instead of black with white stripes, I'm guessing it is not a female but a male, and probably mature as well. Can you post a pic of its pedipalps and first pair of legs?
Here's some pics I have already. IMG_0034.JPG IMG_0037.JPG IMG_0035.JPG

cold blood

Staff member
Not a MM...the fact that its thin, just means it molted recently...perfectly normal

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Full disclosure:

I don't own this species but you can always try feeding it an Earth worm. Both my scorpion and L Klugi noticably bulk up after one and not just a little either. My Klugi appreciates one a week or so after a molt especially. There's a chance that any grounds feeling spider might like one.

I'm not sure of the nutritional value, maybe just empty calories or somewhat better.

The worms don't leave a lot of residue like boluses suggesting that the spider basically eats the whole thing.

A varied diet is usually a good thing. I've noticed a laxative effect in my spider but that might just be due to the size of the worm in question.

I will also add one every month to 6 weeks to increase dietary variation which I always try to achieve.