Is my Crab Spider getting ready for an egg sac?

Alireza

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi all,
I found this beautiful crab spider about 2 months ago, and really fell in love with her attitude during the time that she's been with me. here you can see here feeding on a meal worm:

Yesterday, I found out that she was making a kind of web as you can see in this photo:

I was wondering if she is getting ready for an egg sac :biggrin: also, a possible ID would be appreciated too :sarcasm:

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would say yes. Mine (different species, possibly X. robustus) did the same thing recently. Hopefully we'll both be successful :D

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
That is a female in the genus Xysticus. Species of this genus often require dissection to determine, so cannot help you there, but that is most definitely an egg sac.

Alireza

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks guys!
How many days do you think it would take for her to lay the eggs. she's been in the same position since I found her on that web!

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Thanks guys!
How many days do you think it would take for her to lay the eggs. she's been in the same position since I found her on that web!
She already laid them. They are under the big patch of silk. Hatch time can vary greatly, depending on external conditions. If it is warm, expect them to spring out of the egg sac in about a month.

Alireza

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks. So is there any especial circumstances that I should create? Shall I remove the mother?

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Thanks. So is there any especial circumstances that I should create? Shall I remove the mother?
I would, but be careful in doing so, spiders can be pretty protective, tho this family of spiders tend to not be defensive towards people. When they hatch I usually just stick the enclosure outside, catch a few to raise, and let the rest go naturally.