1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my Caribena Versicolor sling moulting or is something wrong here?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Garetyl, May 14, 2019.

1. Garetyl

Garetyl Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    I went to feed my sling, and saw her basically performing yoga. When offered food, she simply batted at it until I removed it. She's basically holding onto her favorite fake plant with two legs. Her substrate is a little damp, and she was very thirsty the other day. I tried not to disturb her too much and saw no evidence of any sort of injury. Abdomen seems nice and plump, the entire pill bottle is full of holes, and she's not kept on or near anything that could cook her. I'm fairly certain she's just moulting, but she's my first arboreal and want to be sure she's okay. She does have plenty of spaces she could climb into and hide, but prefers her plant.

Screenshot_20190514-200547.png

2. MES

MES Arachnosquire

Utah
    I personally don't think anything is wrong. She looks perfectly healthy in that picture, she may just be molting as you suspect. I have noticed that my slings like to do weird things and sit in random places lol :), but I don't have any arboreal slings. My best advice is just to not disturb her too much for a bit. Good luck!

3. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

Looks like a moult to me. Any updates?

4. Garetyl

Nothing yet, I think. She moved sometime during the night, but I can't see any evidence of a moult, and I don't want to disturb her to check her fangs.

Update: she's moved again and found another position. I think she's just being silly now.
    Screenshot_20190515-200241.png Screenshot_20190515-200255.png

And we're in an eating mood today...

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Serafeimink

Serafeimink Arachnopeon

During my tarantula research I have heard of aboreal or however you spell it, tarantulas May also burrow too lol. I think they’re just confused.

6. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

Avicularia/Avic adjacent species are obligate arboreal - They do NOT burrow or spend any time just hanging out on the ground. Other "arboreal" species like Psalmos, Pokies, etc do burrow/make dirt curtains as slings/juvies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Garetyl

This. I'm kinda surprised that my C. versicolor hasn't webbed up anything yet, but she's always threat posturing. I think she's just too angry to web.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Teal

In my experience, Avics really don't web much. I'm not sure why anyone ever called them heavy webbers? Lol.

9. Serafeimink

Serafeimink Arachnopeon

gotcha... Mine is all over the ground. I guess it all depends on YOUR spider. She does cling to the walls of her enclosure but most of the time she is on the ground..

10. Teal

Then you likely have a husbandry issue. Do a search on here about Avics/Avic adjacents spending time on the ground... You will not find anything saying that it is normal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

True, but IME versi tend to web very quickly in a properly set up home.

IMO a vial is about as bad of a home for an avic type as there is, especially if the sub is damp....vials are death traps for them, especially in the hands of inexperienced keepers.

Huge red flag. Generally a sign of too much moisture and possibly not enough ventilation....this is the first step in a slow death for avic types.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Serafeimink

Serafeimink Arachnopeon

yeah i poked more holes... we will see whats going on.

13. cold blood

I would re house, its already on a downward slide....A 16oz deli cup would be ideal.

Its a bad idea to just wait out a versicolor that's spending time on the floor. Time is of the essence in my opinion.

You can post pictures of the enclosure if you like, this may help and you may not need wholesale changes just minor ones. But I do think you have cause to be concerned.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Serafeimink

Serafeimink Arachnopeon

what about a small layer of potting soil that comes in those potted plants that you get at walmart and such... would that work as well?

I have an Avic avic that hangs out on the floor... and on the wall... righht now she is half on the fl;oor half on the wall

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2019
  15. cold blood

Well half on the wall and a half on the ground is different than hanging out on the ground. What you just described is hunting posture.

I'm honestly not sure what this statement is in reference to.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Serafeimink

Serafeimink Arachnopeon

okay, you seen the enclosure i have for her yesterday. I did some of the stuff you told me to do. I fed her 3 mealworms last night and she ate without problem. Do you think she could still be hungry if she is still on the wall like that?

17. cold blood

Tarantulas are opportunistic feeders, that means they will feed constantly whenever the opportunity presents themselves. It's not a mammal it doesn't need to be fed just because it's in hunting posture. 3 mealworms is a monster meal for that thing and more than I would feed in one sitting. Nothing wrong with it eating three mealworms though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Serafeimink

Serafeimink Arachnopeon

Okay. They were small worms IMO. Its just superworms seem too big.. I assumed 2-3 would be okay for it. youre thinking of the right spider though right?

19. cold blood

dunno...but even my adult avic avics get one mealworm....but they can and do handle large supers without issue.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Garetyl

I've got holes poked throughout the vial. Other people said it was okay, but if I can do better, I will. I usually find her up high in the plant. I don't think I have issues with ventilation. If I did, the aloe bark tube would mould up.

ETA: the top is full of holes too.

Screenshot_20190518-192023.png