Is my B.Smithi ready to molt..?

Neve

Arachnopeon
So I have a baby Mexican RedKnee tranchula who I got a few days ago(around 7 days ago) and this morning I gave her water and put baby mealworms(squished heads) in there for her/him to eat. Next thing I know she burrows and is not moving. I’m worried cause she normally is out walking around or sitting out in the open. I don’t want to poke her because I’m not sure if she is in pre molt or not. She’s very tiny. Any ideas?

Attachments

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Can't really see T well -- but pre-moult in your sling should be a darkened shiny plump ready-to-burst looking rump (and refusal of food).
My concern is the type of substrate used in picture and its lack of depth. I can't see whole enclosure, but it looks like a long fall if your guy starts climbing.
Granted I didn't see full enclosure, but from the pix it looks pretty big for a little fellow.
I didn't see a water dish or a hide.
And this could be a smaller sling than I am guessing.

More info is needed: size of sling and a picture of complete enclosure.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
1) Change substrate to Eco-Earth or Coconut-Fiber and get rid of those terrible chips!

2) Provide a small form of waterdish, for example the use the cap of waterbottle if the T is very small. Keep it filled, no sponge!

3) To answer your question: I can't even see the T in question on that picture, but it'd wager she simple didn't recognize the fooditems or wasn't interested. Brachys feel a bit more secure with a hide provided - if you have one. Some are also pretty timid and hide when distrubed. Bottom line - without a clearer picture of the T, I can't tell. But chances are, your T is just fine. Don't fret. Provide water. Try to feed again in a couple days or so. Otherwise just be patient.

Neve

Arachnopeon
Can't really see T well -- but pre-moult in your sling should be a darkened shiny plump ready-to-burst looking rump (and refusal of food).
My concern is the type of substrate used in picture and its lack of depth. I can't see whole enclosure, but it looks like a long fall if your guy starts climbing.
Granted I didn't see full enclosure, but from the pix it looks pretty big for a little fellow.

I normally just spray the enclosure with water mist since I fear he or she could drown in a water dish. I wasn’t sure of the right bedding to use to I bought coconut husk and put it in their. I don’t have a smaller container for her. What would you recommend and Here’s a better photo

1) Change substrate to Eco-Earth or Coconut-Fiber and get rid of those terrible chips!

2) Provide a small form of waterdish, for example the use the cap of waterbottle if the T is very small. Keep it filled, no sponge!

3) To answer your question: I can't even see the T in question on that picture, but it'd wager she simple didn't recognize the fooditems or wasn't interested. Brachys feel a bit more secure with a hide provided - if you have one. Some are also pretty timid and hide when distrubed. Bottom line - without a clearer picture of the T, I can't tell. But chances are, your T is just fine. Don't fret. Provide water. Try to feed again in a couple days or so. Otherwise just be patient.
I normally just spray mist in her container since I fear that she will drown. My local pet store doesn’t have eco earth but did have coconut husk which is what I am using. I don’t like the chips either and don’t know how to get rid of them. Here’s a better photo of her. I’m new to this hobby and didn’t realize I ordered a tiny tiny sling. So the only container I had was for a juvenile. Any advis and help is wanted. Thank you so much.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
The coco coir I buy isn't filled with all those sharp wood chip matter. I'd suggest sifting it, except I'm not there is much in there like plain dirt.
Also, Unless your sling is extremely tiny, it could use a water bowl -- even a bottle cap. But that enclosure looks sort of huge and the sling needs to 'find' its food and water and a large enclosure can make that difficult.

I do actually recommend a better picture so you can get assistance to create an ideal enclosure for your little fellow.
And a picture of your sling would help too!

Neve

Arachnopeon

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Just saw your sling pix....
What size (in measurements) is that sling? He looks like he might live happier in a condiment/soufflé cup or a deli cup (depending on size).
Right now, it's like he's in a forest with downed trees -- he would prefer a finer dirt substrate and a burrow/small hide so he can feel secure.

Neve

Arachnopeon
Just saw your sling pix....
What size (in measurements) is that sling? He looks like he might live happier in a condiment/soufflé cup or a deli cup (depending on size).
Right now, it's like he's in a forest with downed trees -- he would prefer a finer dirt substrate and a burrow/small hide so he can feel secure.
About as small as a pinky finger tip. Would outside dirt be fine? I’ll move her now and what would be best used for a hide?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Be wary of outside dirt -- you risk pesticide exposure to sling!

Pinky finger tip = ? 1/2 inch?

Could you post the current enclosure?

It does sound as if this may be a case where a 2 ounce condiment cup might be a good enclosure -- but it would need ventilation and vent holes cannot be so large the sling could slip through them. You might be able to sift your current coco coir and get enough finer particles to fill a small enclosure.

Neve

Arachnopeon
Be wary of outside dirt -- you risk pesticide exposure to sling!

Pinky finger tip = ? 1/2 inch?

Could you post the current enclosure?

It does sound as if this may be a case where a 2 ounce condiment cup might be a good enclosure -- but it would need ventilation and vent holes cannot be so large the sling could slip through them. You might be able to sift your current coco coir and get enough finer particles to fill a small enclosure.
Yea I can! What does sift mean? Could I also use garden soil from a flower pot I have inside? I’ll take out the white chunks. Here’s a photo of the tank the day I set it up.

Yea I can! What does sift mean? Could I also use garden soil from a flower pot I have inside? I’ll take out the white chunks. Here’s a photo of the tank the day I set it up.
I did change the substrate to the current one cause a friend of mine told me not buy coconut fiber instead of using sand.

Attachments

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Thank you for the picture.
It is unsuitable -- and I am surprised your sling hasn't slipped through the slats at the top.
Sand is not good either.

By sift, I mean use a sieve and shake so all the small particles fall into a waiting container for you to use -- google sieve, I guess.

Neve

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the picture.
It is unsuitable -- and I am surprised your sling hasn't slipped through the slats at the top.
Sand is not good either.

By sift, I mean use a sieve and shake so all the small particles fall into a waiting container for you to use -- google sieve, I guess.
Would this be ok?

Attachments

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Something sort of like this might work (assuming a 1/2" sling) but I today I would probably use deeper substrate (this is an old pix from a few years ago) but it was kept half damp with a silk leaf and burrow made with a pencil under the leaf. My sling burrowed to the bottom.

Would this be ok?
Don't think so. The issue is the substrate needs to be packed tight so it won't collapse on your sling when he burrows -- that looks loose and flakey. Plus the substrate needs to be able to hold a small amount of dampness -- not soggy/muddy -- but damp on one side. :(

Attachments

Neve

Arachnopeon
Something sort of like this might work (assuming a 1/2" sling) but I today I would probably use deeper substrate (this is an old pix from a few years ago) but it was kept half damp with a silk leaf and burrow made with a pencil under the leaf. My sling burrowed to the bottom.
Alright
Don't think so. The issue is the substrate needs to be packed tight so it won't collapse on your sling when he burrows -- that looks loose and flakey. Plus the substrate needs to be able to hold a small amount of dampness -- not soggy/muddy -- but damp on one side. :(
oof ok. Well I already got her in the container.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
This post belongs in Chat subforum.
This thread is fine where it is. In March, the descriptions of the two boards were clarified in order to provide a brightline standard for moderators and members.

Arachnoboards said:
Tarantula Questions & Discussions
This forum is for serious tarantula-related questions and discussions on science, care, breeding, and other topics with significant repercussions for the hobby.

Tarantula Chat
This forum is for anything about tarantulas that is casual or fun in nature. (Examples include polls and anecdotes.) This forum may be periodically purged.
Additionally, since Tarantula Questions & Discussions contributes to your post count, keeping all care-related questions there provides an incentive for members to quickly respond to questions about care.

Lastly, since Tarantula Chat "may be periodically purged," we don't want to lose helpful posts by encouraging people to post them in Chat.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This thread is fine where it is. In March, the descriptions of the two boards were clarified in order to provide a brightline standard for moderators and members..
:wideyed:, thanks. This explains the flood of questions that I normally don't see here, it was annoying, now it is not. I didn't know the rules had been changed.

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
Oof then it looks like I’ll have to go into the pet store tomorrow morning then.
You don't need to go to the pet store. The Home Depot sells a big bag of soil for cheap. I want to say it's 40 lbs. for $2. Just make sure you get filler or top soil that has nothing added (and you might have to remove some rocks), but that's a cheap way to get literally the exact thing they walk around on in the wild.