1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is mold on wood dangerous?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Lumberguy, Apr 2, 2009.

  1. Lumberguy

    Lumberguy Arachnosquire

    Advertisement
    When I got my T enclosures set up, I went out and found a good branch, debarked it and hollowed it to make two real-wood hides for my Ts. Because they are real and not corkbark, I was curious if any mold that grows on them is going to be harmful for the Tarantulas or just eat at the wood? I've already had a few spots of molding on the two pieces a few weeks back, and I took them out and let them dry out completely, then microwaved them for three minutes (I still smell burning wood in there from that lol) and hoped that that would kill any spores that might be on the wood and prevent further outbreaks, but I really don't know much about it all.

    Assuming mold does come back, should I just toss the pieces of wood out completely? I don't like the T enclosures being so bare, but at the same time I don't want to go paying $15 a piece for plastic logs or decorations of the kind, and I certainly don't want anything in there that will harm the tarantulas. What would you guys advise? No real wood?

    As always, thank you to those that help less-informed hobbyists!
     
  2. Make sure you have good ventilation and the wood should not mold. If it does mold again, use bark next time (any species, exept maybe yew or other toxic plants...) if you don't want to pay for something you can get in the woods. Bark generally have a better resistance to decay than wood.
     
  3. bobsleaf

    bobsleaf Arachnoknight

    I'm guessing it's not good. My suggestion would be to either increase ventilation to decrease humidity, alternately you could mist the enclosure less often.

    I think if you're talking about a sling you need to sort it, pronto.
    :)
     
  4. In general, the mold/fungus/bacteria you can see are harmless. It's the ones you can't see that should keep you awake at night!

    A far greater question is why on Earth is your tarantula's cage so damp that it allows for a growth of mold on wood in the first place?

    What kind of tarantula?

    What kind of substrate?

    What temperature? (Since temperature and humidity are inversely related.)
     
  5. SylverTear

    SylverTear Arachnosquire

    Maybe try boiling the wood too? I know that helps kill any pests or parasites that might be living in the mold. I would think that the boiling water would be able to seep in and get to the spores and possibly destroy them. Once the source is destroyed it should lessen the chances of any mold from the wood coming back. Now airborne spores are a different story.
     
  6. wedge07

    wedge07 Arachnolord

    Most of us bake the wood before use.