Is lime water safe for inverts?

Exoskelos

Arachnosquire
This is a bit of a continuation on my pH inquiry, trying to balance my mixes and ensure optimal conditions and nutrients for the millipedes. I think I have a very good mix right now by using peat, forest humus, ground leaf litter, poplar shavings, and rotten wood from various trees.

My main concern is making sure the millipedes have enough calcium, because despite meticulous seeding of my ivory enclosure with eggshells, crushed limestone, and carefully powdered oyster shell, they show sign of calcium deficiency and one has already died, I suspect of attempting to molt without enough calcium, it was very pale for a long time after molting, much longer than normal, then developed small squarish patches above the legs, like cracks. Next day it was dead. I worry for the Thai rainbow in a few molts, the Asian species are more susceptible to calcium deficiency.

I think I can solve my pH problem and my calcium problem with pelletized dolomitic lime (aglime, not the caustic quicklime) that has been dissolved into rainwater. I have been doing a lot of research and it seems specific types of lime are bad for invertebrates, so I am currently running an experiment using garden snails in a substrate soaked in the lime water. The snails (according to gardening literature) are more susceptible to the toxic effects of lime, so if they are unaffected then it should be safe for millipedes. (Although if I could be rid of the snails and assist the millipedes by using the fortified water, that would be ideal. I hate this plague of snails)

If this is not a viable alternative, would water fortified with gypsum work instead? I'm mainly just trying to streamline my process, and make it as healthy for them as possible. I'm busy building a wood chipper and water distillation system for this sole purpose.

Jett698

Arachnopeon
Hey,
ik that you posted this quite a while ago but I was wondering how your experiment went as I have a similar question but for dolomite lime use in soil, not water. I keep isopods and the topsoil that I use for them contains some dolomite lime. It’s been about a month since I started using that soil and I haven’t notice any Ill affects. Therefore, I was wondering how millipedes would handle the same soil?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Hey,
ik that you posted this quite a while ago but I was wondering how your experiment went as I have a similar question but for dolomite lime use in soil, not water. I keep isopods and the topsoil that I use for them contains some dolomite lime. It’s been about a month since I started using that soil and I haven’t notice any Ill affects. Therefore, I was wondering how millipedes would handle the same soil?
I’d suggest making a new thread it could be while til the op returns if at all. He went Mia .. :rofl: :ninja: IMG_2991.jpg