1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is leg thickness an indicator of something?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by efmp1987, Sep 10, 2017.

1. efmp1987

efmp1987 Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    Just noticed that there is a great deal of variability in leg thickness among individuals of the same species. Is this accepted as a good indicator of good physical health? (Not nutritional health, which is different).

I like thick legs! Turkey all the way (but duck is yummy too).

2. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

There is?

Which species?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoengineer Arachnosupporter

Leg thickness can sometimes be used as an indication of the sex of a tarantula, but only in juvies and subadults. And even then, it's generally not a great idea to definitely sex this way. It's more about an educated guess.

Generally speaking, females tend to be thick-legged whereas males have skinnier and sometimes longer legs. In some species, this is very apparent even as juvies (B. vagans, for instance).

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 14pokies

14pokies Arachnoprince Active Member

In a few species the males will have thinner rear legs than females like P.muticus for a clear example.. IMO there is a slight difference in rear leg structure of my H.gigas..

Female H.maculata also have more robust legs than the males. I think this is mainly due to the fact that the females of this species are much more bulky than the males past 3+inches in general.

The latter could be said about many species though.( not the 3 inches part, just in general body structure)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. efmp1987

Not only that, but also the amount of hair they have varies (which probably is the reason why the legs of some appear thicker)!

6. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince Active Member

Genetics could play a role as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoprince Active Member

E.pachypus is easily sexed by comparing the thickness of the last pair of legs. The difference is that big that the male looks like it's from another species.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I'm unaware of anyone who has done a thorough comparative study on Ts setae count. This sounds rather suspect.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Moakmeister

Moakmeister Arachnobaron

Texas
    Yeah it means she thicc

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  10. efmp1987

Check out albopilosum. You would have to be blind to not see that the fluffiness varies. xD

• Clarification Please Clarification Please x 1
  11. EulersK

I have to disagree. Perhaps you're referring to the Nicaraguan variety, but the Honduran B. albopilosum look identical until maturity. I've never seen any difference. Even now, I've got two 3.5" juvies from the same sac that look absolutely identical. One is male, the other female.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. 14pokies

I'm beginning to think you post absolute nonsense just so you can argue with people. Lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I don't need to "check out" albo. I own an adult female I raised from a sling :smuggrin:

I think you are confused. You were speaking initially about the quantity of setae, and now in the above post you are speaking about the quality of the setae.

Quantity and Quality are not the same. When you realize what you are actually writing, let us know.

Here's your quote in case you forgot, notice you wrote the AMOUNT VARIES.....:D

• Like Like x 1
  14. efmp1987

And you assume with fluffiness I was referring to quality? What are you? A telepath? Funny. Although I do have to admit I wasn't consciously implying quality or quantity when I said fluffiness. And I concede with everyone - every specimen of a given species ARE IN FACT SIMILAR, like coins, and stamps, and other machine-made things.

15. efmp1987

Nonsense, maybe. But the facts you now know, what were they a hundred years ago? Nonsense. Didn't know to your eyes sharing ones observation is a crime. :)

16. 14pokies

Eh my point is you ask questions and then argue with people when they give you there opinion on the subject.

It's not a big deal but it may be enough to make people stop replying to your threads.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. efmp1987

You haven't see what I can do yet. I joined a gaming forums and pissed everyone off on my 3rd post (generated 23 pages of hate) HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA.

But ultimately the excitement of the moment (the newbie moment) subsided and everything went back to normal LOL

18. efmp1987

19. EulersK

You know @efmp1987, I'm hearing a lot of backlash from you. Not a lot of substantial posts, however. By the way you type, I know you're educated. Respond to the rebuttals that myself and others presented instead of immediately going on the defensive. This is a discussion forum, and this is a topic that has zero scientific evidence. You're on the same ground as us. Present your ideas in a well thought out manner and perhaps we can have a meaningful discussion. I imagine that's what you wanted in the first place.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. 14pokies

That's a pretty imature attitude.. Luckily this forum has an ignore button and you just made the short list ;)...

• Agree Agree x 2