Is Kicking hairs over rated?

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I'd be off to the ophthalmologist as fast as the 797 ponies of my Redeye Hellcat would carry me if I ever got hairs in my eyes. Remember, problems can arise a week or two after the event.
No problems so far. Its been over a month and the redness went away the next day. The lenses I had must of sheilded my eyes. Thanks for the concern. The hair aren't something to be brushed off thats for sure. ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’ve seen people on YouTube (exotic lair) hold Ts while they are kicking hairs and it doesn’t seem it faze him. So my question is. When a T kicks hairs is it dangerous to humans? Of course you don’t want it in your eyes but over all is it not that bad? Thanks Peeps :)
Depends on sensitive you are to a given species.

Tessa Clifton

Arachnosquire
I know for me, I can hold an A. Avicularia no problem without any irritation even when she kicks a few hairs. But hand me a simple Aphonopelma of almost any species, and my hands will be red and itchy for days!!

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I've only felt hairs once: I rehoused 4 N. chromatus on the same day and scooped their substrate out with my hand so I could clean the containers. A few hours later my whole hand was red. It itched a little, burned a little, but mostly it was just the redness that made me uneasy.

truemane

Arachnopeon
...the whole thing is definitely overhyped, I wonder if today mans are still 'Mans', sometimes.
The issue is maybe overhyped, but my dude, there's no need for gender essentialism. Your gender doesn't change because you admit your skin itches.

I've only had a couple of T's flick hairs at me, and only Brachypelma. My skin itched a medium amount for an evening and I felt like I had a dry throat for a few hours. Mildly annoying, but by no means debilitating. Never had any in my eyes (or, at least, never noticed I did). So that might make the difference.

I have heard that Theraphosa hairs are bad news, so I'd believe anyone who said they had a worse experience.

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
I react like crazy to urticating hairs, not even from any of my Ts flicking but just from touching anything in the enclosure like during a rehouse. It was like that from the first exposure so I really try to protect myself from them. I react more to some species than others but either way it means hives all over my skin for weeks. At least I have an EpiPen on hand because I'm basically allergic to being alive.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
I caught just a few on my wrist from my lp and it tingled a bit