Is Kicking hairs over rated?

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I have been keeping NWs for two years now, I have been kicked at many times... I have never felt an effect. When can I expect a reaction to their hairs?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Yeah, flicking won't faze anyone in the short term...they're hairs, not bullets....The reaction from hairs is far from instantaneous, it can take a good bit to even notice.
Additionally, it's possible to sensitize with repeated exposures.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Yikes, that's one of the worst cases I have seen.
Considering how they were applied, I was hoping for at least one of the worst ;). I don't think the reaction would have been as severe if it had kicked at me. I only cut the cork a little bit and forced it apart so there was a good amount of contact/friction.

When can I expect a reaction to their hairs?
You could be rather resistant to the chemical reaction from the hairs, for now anyways. It seems everyone has a different reaction, some more severe than others. I can see a world though, where despite being kicked at, a minimal amount of setae came into contact with your skin.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
You could be rather resistant to the chemical reaction from the hairs, for now anyways. It seems everyone has a different reaction, some more severe than others. I can see a world though, where despite being kicked at, a minimal amount of setae came into contact with your skin
I would struggle to believe that in two years I have not had much contact from the hairs.
This is always testable with my kickers, my emilia will kick at a slight disturbance and then I can put my hand intentionally in the area.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
My LP kicked hairs at me and I felt nothing until later that night I actually started to feel not well and sneezing I must have breathed some in through my nose I woke up the next morning with flu like symptoms and couldn't breathe through my nose at all it was that swollen inside and my whole body ached from the inside not a nice experience ever since I tend to hold my breath a bit and keep my head clear of any enclosure when I open it. When I get haired on the arm or hand though I don't seen to have any reaction whatsoever but that may change over time. Also there are 6 different kinds of urticating hairs so that would make a difference as to whether you're going to feel it or not

boina

Lady of the mites
I have been keeping NWs for two years now, I have been kicked at many times... I have never felt an effect. When can I expect a reaction to their hairs?
You are not in the clear yet. Allergic reactions have the annoying habit of developing whenever they want. I was fine for years and only developed an allergic reaction about a year to a year and a half ago. It's still relatively mild, but the itching and swelling can be really annoying. Usually just kicking hairs at me doesn't do it, but I'm not cleaning out any more NW enclosures without gloves and a scarf in front of my face.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
You are not in the clear yet. Allergic reactions have the annoying habit of developing whenever they want. I was fine for years and only developed an allergic reaction about a year to a year and a half ago. It's still relatively mild, but the itching and swelling can be really annoying. Usually just kicking hairs at me doesn't do it, but I'm not cleaning out any more NW enclosures without gloves and a scarf in front of my face.
Wear a bee keepers outfit

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
I'd be most worried about the eyes. It can take many days to feel the effects of the hairs as they can take a while to embed fully into your eye (they are very small) and they can migrate through your eyes. The effects can last years/lifelong.

https://www.bmj.com/content/314/7093/1524

Disregard the false statements in the first paragraph...o_O

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I'd be most worried about the eyes. It can take many days to feel the effects of the hairs as they can take a while to embed fully into your eye (they are very small) and they can migrate through your eyes. The effects can last years/lifelong.

https://www.bmj.com/content/314/7093/1524

Disregard the false statements in the first paragraph...o_O
Thank you for now worrying everyone that keeps species with urticating hairs.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've been keeping them for nearly 3 and I don't react at all to most species.

Everyone has different reactions to different species, and some species are generally considered worse than others.

Brachy/Aphono/Grammo hairs aren't considered bad at all (unless you're one of the unlucky people who actually reacts to them).
Acanthoscurria are considered moderately irritating.
Nhandu/Lasiodora/Theraphosa are generally considered to be some of the worst in the hobby.

I don't react at all to Theraphosa hairs so far (I've only been haired twice by my girl so that could change) and the reaction I have to Nhandu hairs is nowhere near as bad as the reaction I have to Lasiodora hairs despite the two being considered equally bad.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I've been keeping them for nearly 3 and I don't react at all to most species.

Everyone has different reactions to different species, and some species are generally considered worse than others.

Brachy/Aphono/Grammo hairs aren't considered bad at all (unless you're one of the unlucky people who actually reacts to them).
Acanthoscurria are considered moderately irritating.
Nhandu/Lasiodora/Theraphosa are generally considered to be some of the worst in the hobby.

I don't react at all to Theraphosa hairs so far (I've only been haired twice by my girl so that could change) and the reaction I have to Nhandu hairs is nowhere near as bad as the reaction I have to Lasiodora hairs despite the two being considered equally bad.
Well so far so good for me, I do have Theraphosa as well not had any reaction to his hairs despite being kicked at. I am normally carefully around him and his last rehouse I wore gloves long sleeves etc... He just walked into the new enclosure without a fight, typical...

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Has it come in contact with your skin? Some tarantulas will kind of "fake kick" and not actually send any hairs airborne...I have seen a lot of brachys do this.

You were most likely never touched up, or you would have felt something.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Has it come in contact with your skin? Some tarantulas will kind of "fake kick" and not actually send any hairs airborne...I have seen a lot of brachys do this.

You were most likely never touched up, or you would have felt something.
Interesting I did not know this.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Its easy to spot, when they kick for real, you can see the cloud of setae being released. Has that been your experience?
I just assumed they would be hard to spot, I have never seen any clouds from any of my specimens not even when the blondi kicks.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
They can definitely do some damage/cause a lot of irritation:

View attachment 299752

View attachment 299753

This case is a bit of an abnormality, in that it was 100% my fault. I had just gotten a T. stirmi, and it had a bald abdomen. Because it was late/I was in a rush to get everything together I didn’t stop to think. So when I took it’s old cork tube out to split it in half for a hide, I basically dug the setae into my own hand. It was a lot more swollen/bumpy last week so it’s calmed down quite a bit. (The scab was from me trying to drain a blister that formed in that spot, so that wasn’t caused by the setae). I started feeing prickling pain about 2 hours later. Yeah, not one of my finest moments...

As you can see though I have a lot of hives or well whatever you would call those little allergic reaction blisters, all over my fingers and that portion of palm.

I’m probably more sensitive than others (when I first attempted keeping I did handle my tarantulas, and the few times I handled my L. klugi my hand would slightly swell). So, I can only imagine what would happen if I breathed it in, etc.

The biggest kicker is that I do manual labor for a job and so any time I tried to twist something etc. my hand would swell up which was something I could deal with but it wasn’t very fun.

So, for me anyways, I definitely steer clear of any tarantula that's kicking...
I also caution people about buying used cork from unknown sources; if its been with a T, you probably don't want to put it in subsequently with a reptile.....

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I have recently (last month) encountered some Theraphosa hairs changing a water dish in my female's cage and pulling her molt. The sensation of inhaling hairs is not something I want to experience again. I also got a few of the hairs in my eyes/contact lenses. I immediately tossed those lenses. My eyes were red and irritated. I turn off the fans in the room when doing maintenance now. The itching from the hairs was pretty much instant for me. I could see the plume. As far as the skin reaction, I would describe it as a tingling that turns orgasmic when scrubbing my forearms with sandpaper. It doesn't bother me too much. Brachypelma hairs give me hives.. Reguardless Im ordering some brachys soon.. Everyone reacts different.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Theraphosa hairs changing a water dish in my female's cage and pulling her molt. The sensation of inhaling hairs is
Pro tip: never handle anything that has been in a Theraphosa's enclosure, I do not unless I have washed the water dish first.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
I'd be off to the ophthalmologist as fast as the 797 ponies of my Redeye Hellcat would carry me if I ever got hairs in my eyes. Remember, problems can arise a week or two after the event.