Votes: 3 6.3%
  • No, it's too risky at 13

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Depending on skill level and experience

Votes: 26 54.2%

• Total voters

Radcla4832

Arachnopeon
Just to quickly say, I've researched P. murinus in the past and while it looks lovely, the fact that a fully grown adult can go to hospital from one bite concerns me alot, and I've also heard about teleporting, which I've experienced with a juvenile rear horn baboon, it still hasn't put me off having an OBT, I'd just like to hear your opinions about it as I've heard of keepers being terrified of them, and keepers starting with them, so go ahead and post what you want.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Such a question... unless you are a 13 years old able to live alone in a huge mansion with unfinished money and a somewhat loyal and 'Saint' butler (like sorta 'The Little Prince') that serves you 24/7, the only ones entitled to answer to this question are your parents, or the adults that care about you, son.

Forgive me if this may be blunt but c'mon, that venom potency is brutal :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I owned multiple Poecilotheria and other ows at thirteen. But I had 4 years of experience keeping tarantulas by then.

Only if you know you're ready. Literally. If you have doubt, don't get one.

Haven't you just started recently? If so, get your basic husbandry down super well and get comfortable with fast slings.

If you do opt for a obt anyway, be sure to at least get a sling. Your experience will increase as it grows.

I think people like to think they're something special when getting a obt. Especially early on. They're not. They're usually just egotistical and people the hobby could do without. Whatever you choose, keep in the mind the only impressed people by what you own will be complete beginners. Experienced people are generally more impressed with keepers with rare species. Not so much how many "teleporting death machines" one owns.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Personally I think it's all to do with how confident you are and taking the necessary measurements to ensure safe keeping. If you already have a C. Darlingi I can't see it being an issue

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I owned multiple Poecilotheria and other ows at thirteen. But I had 4 years of experience keeping tarantulas by then.

Only if you know you're ready. Literally. If you have doubt, don't get one.

Haven't you just started recently? If so, get your basic husbandry down super well and get comfortable with fast slings.

If you do opt for a obt anyway, be sure to at least get a sling. Your experience will increase as it grows.
So little fellas people shouldn't, the fact that you did and nothing went bad is just a case, and shouldn't be the 'rule'.

A 13/teen 'body' isn't strong like an adult one, why risk, in the case of such potent venom ones? Besides, I see tigers in danger, not OW T's so let's wait a bit :writer:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
So little fellas people shouldn't, the fact that you did and nothing went bad is just a case, and shouldn't be the 'rule'.

A 13/teen 'body' isn't strong like an adult one, why risk, in the case of such potent venom ones? Besides, I see tigers in danger, not OW T's so let's wait a bit :writer:
No. That is a blanket rule. And a very good one. It however does NOT apply to everyone. You stated so yourself.

I'm not saying he should. I'm saying it depends on his confidence and prior experience.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
No. That is a blanket rule. And a very good one. It however does NOT apply to everyone. You stated so yourself.

I'm not saying he should. I'm saying it depends on his confidence and prior experience.
No. And I'm not talking about 'rules', screw 'rules': I'm talking about logic and common sense.

I'm the first to say that 'OBT' are (in terms of defensiveness) historically overhyped and that they are not the 'demons' people make them to be, but in the case of a 13 years boy, well, I've never said that they are ok to own no matter the: "if you here and there"... statements. As I've said, your teen experience isn't the rule, no matter how much good you were/are (and you are).

I've said, more than once, that, if an adult (even if said adult is unexperienced) wants ones (an 'OBT') so badly, so be it, I don't care, why I should, he/she's an adult... but a minor is under the responsibility of his/her parents.

Doctors, unfortunately, has the bad habit to question why an African spider bitten a 13 years boy/girl, in the E.R. So local media/s, as well.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
You're a thirteen year old beginner, so no. If you had been in the hobby for a couple of years and knew what you were doing, it would be a completely different story.

Its not so much age that matters, but experience.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You're a thirteen year old beginner, so no. If you had been in the hobby for a couple of years and knew what you were doing, it would be a completely different story.

Its not so much age that matters, but experience.
While I do agree with you, one moment even 'age' matters under certain circumstances -- unless you, younger to me fellas (and btw let me state again that I'm almost 40) were/are calm and collected 24/7 X 365, like Zen Monks.

I had 13 years as well, obviously, and I was into T's as well. We are talking about the early '90s, and I reckon that, while T's talking I was 'fine' (but I had 'normal' NW's ones only, back then) I wasn't so 'fine', for a lot of every different stuff that didn't involved T's.

Now at 40 I'm only partially sane, for the record :writer:

Radcla4832

Arachnopeon
Considering that it's effective against primates and an adult can go to the hospital from a bite it's probably a good idea to wait rather than risk becoming the first person to die of a bite, and risk ruining the hobby

Liquifin

Arachnoking
13 is the age that I had my first T. experiences with an old ex-hobbyist. He was a chill guy that let me feed his T.'s but mostly scorps in his collection. When I was 13, I had no T.'s at all and I didn't even have my own collection until 16. I remembered at 14, he gave me a G. pulchripes from his collection. But since I didn't have permission for pets at home, he kept it for me, which became MM. But... Man.... 13 was like yesterday for me. My experience with T.'s and scorps came from someone else's collection, LOL. From feeding, breeding, and rehousing. Everything I learned came from someone else's collection which helped me get started with my collection. I remember at 15, I was Breeding OW T.'s ranging from OBT to pokies. Which the P. ornata was my favorite of his collection, that I fed and rehouse for him with his supervision of course. But I wouldn't risk it for you, unless someone experience is supervising or you have some experience to deal with them.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Considering that it's effective against primates and an adult can go to the hospital from a bite it's probably a good idea to wait rather than risk becoming the first person to die of a bite, and risk ruining the hobby
In the case of a bite you wouldn't die at all, nor you would put the hobby at risk, since you are in the UK and, despite Tabloid's sensationalism and crap, no one would 'ban' or regulate more/whatever T's due to that (IMO).

But you would cause a great pain to your parents, and I'm certain, even if I don't know them, that they doesn't deserve that.

Imagine a trip to the E.R, one day, only because they said 'Yes' (in good faith) to a request of their son... nah, wait a bit more, OBT's aren't going to disappear. Trust me :)

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
While I do agree with you, one moment even 'age' matters under certain circumstances -- unless you, younger to me fellas (and btw let me state again that I'm almost 40) were/are calm and collected 24/7 X 365, like Zen Monks.

I had 13 years as well, obviously, and I was into T's as well. We are talking about the early '90s, and I reckon that, while T's talking I was 'fine' (but I had 'normal' NW's ones only, back then) I wasn't so 'fine', for a lot of every different stuff that didn't involved T's.

Now at 40 I'm only partially sane, for the record :writer:
Not sure I understand your point. o_O

Obviously I wouldn't have an eight year old working around OW tarantulas, thirteen is around the age you start getting more independent though.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
As “interesting” as all this banter may be, @Chris LXXIX has had the most succinct, and proper answer to the lad’s question, it’s a decision his parents/guardians should make.

Beggottenson

Arachnoknight
I only had a month of experience before I got my OBT, and it hasn’t given me any issues at all, just give it enough room and it’ll hide when it is scared instead of attacking

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Well...you "researched them".So you know,hopefully,that you know what your getting.
And your not going to B.S. your parents,guardians or anyone else about what this
animals traits are...right?Be upfront and truthful about it.
Also,if you fear a T,your likely not going to properly care for it.Something to
think about.But,don't know you or your situation.You asked.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I only had a month of experience before I got my OBT, and it hasn’t given me any issues at all, just give it enough room and it’ll hide when it is scared instead of attacking
Actually that's one of the thing me and others always stated (to provide enough space and, most importantly, inches/cm of substrate to a P.murinus). What beginners (no offence in this) don't consider often, is that a keeper never know what may happens, therefore to be prepared enough for move correctly a fast, quite venomous spider, if needed, is mandatory.

This is something that only experience can teach.

It's easy, indeed, to open a (maybe 'final') enclosure where a full settled 'OBT' lives, and feed him/her, but, as I've said, since everything can happens in life, which matters is the 'know how' and mindset for transfer him/her.

On a regular basis jumps out escape stories/threads, at the end.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
Others have covered some potential issues, but there's another that applies whatever your age. When you're living with other people, decisions that could impact everyone in the house are things to discuss with everyone in the house. Your parents could end up getting bitten, so they need to be fine with it happening to them. Your parents need to know what to do if you're bitten, so they need to understand what will happen. If you have a bad reaction, you might not be in a state to explain what's happened after it happens.

This isn't simply about age, because you could be an adult, and it still wouldn't be a good idea to do this without talking about it. You don't want a situation where someone is bitten and it's news to everyone that this wasn't just like a bee sting.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
No. And I'm not talking about 'rules', screw 'rules': I'm talking about logic and common sense.

I'm the first to say that 'OBT' are (in terms of defensiveness) historically overhyped and that they are not the 'demons' people make them to be, but in the case of a 13 years boy, well, I've never said that they are ok to own no matter the: "if you here and there"... statements. As I've said, your teen experience isn't the rule, no matter how much good you were/are (and you are).

I've said, more than once, that, if an adult (even if said adult is unexperienced) wants ones (an 'OBT') so badly, so be it, I don't care, why I should, he/she's an adult... but a minor is under the responsibility of his/her parents.

Doctors, unfortunately, has the bad habit to question why an African spider bitten a 13 years boy/girl, in the E.R. So local media/s, as well.
I know it's not logical or good for beginners to own obts and I entirely agree the decision is up to his parents.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I wouldnt let my child have a OW at 13. I have to pay medical bills if any are needed. Also, 13 you couldnt possibly have enough experience, Unless you been keeping since 3.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Just to quickly say, I've researched P. murinus in the past and while it looks lovely, the fact that a fully grown adult can go to hospital from one bite concerns me alot, and I've also heard about teleporting, which I've experienced with a juvenile rear horn baboon, it still hasn't put me off having an OBT, I'd just like to hear your opinions about it as I've heard of keepers being terrified of them, and keepers starting with them, so go ahead and post what you want.
How much experience do you have with tarantulas? If you are considering a Pterinochilus murinus as a beginner, I wouldn't recommend that.

Doing research is commendable, but research is not always a substitute for firsthand experience. Watching someone rehouse an OBT on YouTube and doing it yourself are two different things. If you've already rehoused other defensive tarantulas, you'll have a better idea of how things can go wrong (and what to do about it).

In short, we all make beginner's errors when we are new, and it's best to make those errors with hardy species that are slower, less defensive, and less venomous. Starting with the beginner-friendly species allows you to master the basics of care (especially rehousing) and develop good habits with species that are more forgiving.

One should also consider who else lives in the home -- people who might have to assist in caring for the tarantula, young children who might open an enclosure while unsupervised, or other pets that might be killed by the bite of an escaped OBT.

Lastly, for prospective or brand new keepers, I think it is a good idea to verify that your interest in keeping tarantulas is long-term before getting into the "hot" species. If you decide you no longer want tarantulas in a month or two, it is a lot easier to responsibly rehome a Brachypelma albopilosum than a Pterinochilus murinus.

No, it's too risky at 13
While I believe that there are probably some minors who are sufficiently responsible and experienced to take care of an OBT, without knowing you or your circumstances, my default response would be not to recommend OW species to minors, especially ones who are beginners.

I have the same policy for adults. There are always exceptions, but in general, if a new member comes to the forum as a beginner inquiring about OW tarantulas, I would discourage that. I am not going to assume that a random newbie is particularly careful, a quick study, or doesn't have children or pets that could be harmed by an unexpected encounter with a OBT.

Some people tell beginners considering advanced species that "you'll be fine if you do your research." However, I am not comfortable offering blanket assurances that "you'll be fine if you do your research" to people I don't know. Because I really don't know for that particular person, so I'd rather err on the side of caution.

I also operate under the assumption that most people want honest information in order to make informed decisions. If I were a novice keeper wanting to buy an OBT, I'd hope someone would explain why that's not a great idea and offer better alternatives.