Is it true that female Theraphosa blondi have longer legs & bigger thorax than males?

GoldenVeNoM

Arachnopeon
The person that sold me my Theraphosa blondi had two Ts and told me that the female has longer legs and a bigger thorax than the males is this true or was I lied into buying an ungender T

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Very inaccurate in a sense. Males and females for the Theraphosa genus look just alike until maturity, when the males have emboli and are leggy. But until maturity, they can look just alike between males and females.

Last edited:

GoldenVeNoM

Arachnopeon
Are you sure you have a T. blondi?
I'm hoping I did

Very inaccurate in a sense. Males and females for the Theraphosa genus look just alike until maturity, when the males have emboli and are leggy. But until maturity, they can look just alike between males and females.
So theres no way in telling unless it molts

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Ventral sexing is pretty easy with this species, right? Try to take a clear picture of the underside of the abdomen (between the book lungs) and post it to the ventral sexing gallery in the Photo section.

GoldenVeNoM

Arachnopeon
Ventral sexing is pretty easy with this species, right? Try to take a clear picture of the underside of the abdomen (between the book lungs) and post it to the ventral sexing gallery in the Photo section.
Thanks I'll do that

Sadly it's not a T. blondi, it's a T. stirmi. But still a great one nonetheless.

Actually, T. stirmi are very, very, very, easy to ventral sex with almost 100% accuracy. So post a picture of it's ventral with good lighting and we'll sex it for you. ;)
Alright I'm glad to hear that thank you

cold blood

Staff member
I see one of those climbing backgrounds in there.....not really appropriate, everything should be done to discourage climbing, and if there's room for that background, there is way too much vertical space for such a heavy bodied terrestrial.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
I see one of those climbing backgrounds in there.....not really appropriate, everything should be done to discourage climbing, and if there's room for that background, there is way too much vertical space for such a heavy bodied terrestrial.
And not to jump all over your husbandry, @GoldenVeNoM but are those wood chips in the enclosure? Those are pretty discouraged, a rogue piece of wood could puncture your T's abdomen.

GoldenVeNoM

Arachnopeon
And not to jump all over your husbandry, @GoldenVeNoM but are those wood chips in the enclosure? Those are pretty discouraged, a rogue piece of wood could puncture your T's abdomen.
That's a picture from the enclosure that it was being kept in by the lady at the store I posted that picture because right now I'm working so I cant take a new one, the enclosure where I keep him/her is with echo earth and no climbing things.

Is this a good picture?

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
First off, sexing pics need to be posted in the gallery. There are locations specifically for ventral sexing and for molts.

That said, you have a male.

esa space station

Arachnoknight
Hold off on taking pictures. That abdomen is as black as can be which indicates an impending molt.
Yep defo due a molt and youll be able to tell for sure at that size after its molted

Its the same with theraphosa species both blondi &stirmi there isno sexual dimorphism males &females will both look alike until they are old enough to be sexed

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very hard to sex immature tarsntulas just by the look of the spiders! After 19 years i have made some observations that can pinpoint to male or female! Here it comes:

1 Females tend to have "higher" abdomens if the spider us looked at from the side! What i mean by this is that the part near the pedicel has a higher angle than in males. Males abdomen tend to be more slender seen from the side!

2 the carapace and the chelicarae are wider in females, if looked at from above.

3. The carapace itself has a "higher" angle from the abdomen in females.

4 The abdomen in females can expand more than the males even in immature spiders.

Those signs are not something that are 100% accurate or something and i would never take this to serious, but i gave noticed that this sometimes are right!