Is it possible to care for a carpenter bee?

Lucidd

Arachnoknight
I found a flightless carpenter bee in my yard yesterday. One of his wings is split into 3 slivers ... must have got caught in something.
This bee appears otherwise perfectly healthy.
I am wondering if anyone has experience with taking care of a wounded bee, or it is possible to do? And if they like wood, would it be wise to set him up in something wooden?
I'd hate to just throw him back outdoors only to get helplessly picked up by a bird. Any help would be appreciated.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Something I would be happy to hear more on. You don't care for a bee, you care for the hive. As a general rule, bees, like ants, have no life without the hive.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Actually most carpenter bee's are solitary, there are some that form small semi social groups though. I would guess try to provide with flowers that it can get pollen or nectar from, some water to drink and most will use wood to make a nest. I am not sure how successful you will be in your endeavor but good luck.

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Actually most carpenter bee's are solitary, there are some that form small semi social groups though. I would guess try to provide with flowers that it can get pollen or nectar from, some water to drink and most will use wood to make a nest. I am not sure how successful you will be in your endeavor but good luck.
Yup, carpenter bees are solitary (some nest near each other, but still build their own nests). Honey is a pretty universal food source for hymenoptera (bees, ants, wasps), so if you give it access to honey and water, that should be all it needs. They don't really need wood, but if it's a mated female, it might be interesting to give it a big enough piece of wood to watch her make a nest in it. They like very old, untreated, and unpainted wood best.

Lucidd

Arachnoknight
I have moved him from a tupperware container to a small wooden jewelry armoire with a glass door. I laid it horizontally so he has more space. I gave him 2 dandelions, a bottle cap of water and a bottle cap of honey. Hopefully he sticks around a while because when I opened my honey jar I found it infested with baby ants so it's now designated as his honey jar haha.
On a side note, I checked in on him and it looks like he decided to fall asleep curled up on the stem of one of the dandelions. It was really cute to see his little antennae slowly moving up and down.

Thanks for all the info! It has been very helpful! I hope I can help this guy live a long healthy life! :)

---------- Post added 04-23-2014 at 11:42 PM ----------

Oh and I'm pretty sure its a male because I don't see a stinger on it. When I first caught it it was throbbing its abdomen a lot and I thought it was trying to sting but I didn't see anything there to sting with.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
You should be giving it sugar water, and not honey.

If she's mated, you could actually get some adults, provided you supply enough sugar water. Actually, i think I remember reading that bees are capable of eating just plain sugar. (dont attempt that without reading about it first, im too lazy to open a new window and revise my memory lol)

Lucidd

Arachnoknight
Just curious why is sugar water better for it than honey?

Lucidd

Arachnoknight
I just took him outside to get some sunlight and gave him some new dandelions and he went right over to them. I snapped a few pics with my phone.

edit20140424_140216.jpg

edit20140424_140219.jpg

edit20140424_140248.jpg

awiec

Arachnoprince
Defiantly looks like Xylocopa virginica and its nice to hear its doing well.

Lucidd

Arachnoknight
I just wanted to update this and say, sadly, that the carpenter bee passed away. I was really looking forward to seeing this guy live a bit longer. Here are some images and videos I got to take of him before he lost his battle.
On a side note, I am finding half-dead bees and wasps in my yard and house on the regular. I am taking in every one I find and trying to nourish it back to health. This has only succeeded with a paper wasp which seemed flightless until I fed it some honey and water, then it was able to fly after a few days. I wonder if someone in the area is spraying some pretty harsh chemicals to be making all these little guys sick. :(

[video=youtube_share;nNwmcCh98KQ]http://youtu.be/nNwmcCh98KQ[/video]

editP5010283.jpg

editP5010289.jpg

editP5010298.jpg

laurenkane

Arachnosquire
<3 Rest in peace little sweetie. I really love how you are trying to help these overlooked creatures. Take care and post more of your endevour!

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
Nice bee photos, sorry he didn't make it. Sucks that you're finding a bunch of dead ones, natures pollinators are taking a huge hit sadly.

Awesome quality video you got there. Watching him scoop up the pollen was sweet.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I used to hate bees, but now I fully recognize just how important they are to the ecosystem.

DawnDeschain

Arachnopeon
I am so glad to have found this thread! I have a bunch of carpenter bees that live in front of my apartment door. They can be a little intimidating because they're all around when we're going in/out but they've never harmed any of us, I suspect they're the nonstinging males. Unfortunately I always find lots of them dying slow deaths and I'm not sure why, but it really breaks my heart. I found one the other day despite it being wintertime, and I've got him in a butterfly enclosure at home. He's pretty lethargic, I'm thinking he's still in "overwinter" mode and maybe fell out of his tunnel in the stairs. I've been trying to nurse him to health and just keep him safe, giving him sugarwater and will try to get some flowers for him. I love all little critters, and bees are amongst my favorites, on top of how crucial our pollenators are. Thank you again for creating this thread and sharing your experience, most of the other search results I found were about how to kill them :( I hate humans sometimes.

Brinklings

Arachnopeon
Yesterday my son saved a bee from drowning. It suckled from an orange slice and sheltered on Violets over night but it still remains flightless. Today it suckled from an apple slice. I also put out a fresh orange and strawberry slice and an orchid. Our concern is it's too chilly and windy tonight. Not sure how to help it further. Any suggestions?

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
That's a male, you can easily identify males by the yellow patch on their face. He probably just reached the end of his lifespan, the males don't live very long.

They're certainly entertaining to watch in the wild. Sometimes I see male carpenter bees cruising around and engaging in fierce aerial chasing and fight scenes with any rivals or other similar- sized insects that stray too close. Amazing how fast and acrobatic they are compared to other bees. They can float in the air like giant hoverflies.