Is it okay to keep a T. stirmi in an aquarium?

Cycle of Chaos

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone, while Ive never posted on here before I have visited this site more times I can count with information on my Ts. I have a question that I cant seem to find the right answer for regarding my 7" female stirmi:

She is being kept in a large plastic tub and has been doing great but she starting to get a bit big for the tub. I have a large 30 gal aquarium that I used to keep fish in 20-something years ago.... I was wondering if anyone has had success in keeping any stirmi's in a glass aquarium. There is no holes in the side for ventilation which worries me and has kept me from moving her already. Ive seen some people keep their Ts like this with a screen lid and plexiglass or something to stop the humidity from leaving, but would that still allow enough airflow? Right now the only Ts I have in glass aquariums is my G porteri and my two LPs, the rest are in critter keepers or storage containers.

I guess what im trying to ask is what is everyones option on glass aquariums for stirmis?? Thanks for any help!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The biggest concern I would have with the glass aquarium is whether the lid would be secure. I do have my AF T. stirmi in a large glass cage similar to an aquarium - but mine is a reptile cage, with a sliding/locking lid. It really depends on what kind of lid you have. If it just sets on top, it is possible that it might accidentally get knocked ajar (or that she might push her way through) and then you could have an escaped spider on your hands. Aside from concerns about the lid being secure - because the aquarium was not designed for reptiles or inverts - I have no problem with glass. Most of my tarantulas and other inverts are in glass tanks.

My tank has a sliding screen top with a pin lock to keep it from getting opened accidentally. The screen provides plenty of ventilation and I have half of it covered with glass to keep the humidity in. There are many people here who dislike screen lids because of the risk of the tarantula climbing the glass and getting its claws stuck in the screening and possibly falling and/or losing a leg. So far, I've never had a problem with that from my spiders - but it is a risk that you should be aware of. I just make sure the substrate is deep enough for those spiders that are inclined to climb that they can always "touch" the bottom, even if they are trying to swing from the rafters.

Because the aquarium is pretty big, you will need a lot of substrate to get the height (from top of substrate to lid) to a "safe" point - no more than 1.5 times her leg span - but she'll like having nice deep substrate to dig in, so that's not a bad thing.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
There are no holes for ventilation down the sides of a fish tank. Also, you would need to make a new top to go on the tank to keep the humidity in. With no air flow down the sides, the moist dirt would become stagnant and probably mold and cause problems. If you don't customize the lid right you will have too much or too little humidity coming or going.

Obviously, a fish tank would look great in comparison to a crappy tub. If you figure out how to cut holes in the glass and add a good top It would work.

Cycle of Chaos

Arachnopeon
Thanks, stagnant is my main concern, I remember seeing a people on here and on youtube over the years post images or videos of their stirmi in aquarium enclosures. I do hate how hard it is to see her in the tub, but id rather have her healthy and happy.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
While she’s not an adult, my T. stirmi has done splendidly in a glass aquarium without any mold issues (thank you springtails/isopods), but like others said I did have to modify the cage. Temporarily just covering up excess ventilation works to keep the moisture in, but the key is to make sure you’re not just cutting off airflow. In the long run, making a sheet of well ventilated plexi into the lid should work best. I don’t think drilling the glass is really necessary, but if you’re up for it more ventilation won’t hurt.

Edit: the hide is half of a cheese puff jar sanded down, for the curious
30BBEA23-E19A-4ED9-915B-781C1B3E5F9B.jpeg FE7DE154-A5D2-473D-8FCA-26A51B721456.jpeg

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
I kept a blondi in a 55 gallon aquarium for years! He did amazing until he matured and passed.

Cycle of Chaos

Arachnopeon
While she’s not an adult, my T. stirmi has done splendidly in a glass aquarium without any mold issues (thank you springtails/isopods), but like others said I did have to modify the cage. Temporarily just covering up excess ventilation works to keep the moisture in, but the key is to make sure you’re not just cutting off airflow. In the long run, making a sheet of well ventilated plexi into the lid should work best. I don’t think drilling the glass is really necessary, but if you’re up for it more ventilation won’t hurt.

Edit: the hide is half of a cheese puff jar sanded down, for the curious
View attachment 264037 View attachment 264038
Thank you! Im glad to hear it can be done. My animal room usually stays at high humidity (thanks to my chameleon and tegu) but I might look into the plexiglass top idea. For now my stirmi's happy so I test out some cage top ideas before I do anything. In her current tub I have two large water dishes (with springtails that spawn back every night) and I pour water into holes I made in the dirt on one side of the cage.

I just noticed recently that at night she has been walking around and climbing the sides of her tub. I know it cant be too dry because I keep it moist and do the water test weekly(squeeze the dirt for excessive water). So I thought maybe shes getting a bit big for her tub.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Thank you! Im glad to hear it can be done. My animal room usually stays at high humidity (thanks to my chameleon and tegu) but I might look into the plexiglass top idea. For now my stirmi's happy so I test out some cage top ideas before I do anything. In her current tub I have two large water dishes (with springtails that spawn back every night) and I pour water into holes I made in the dirt on one side of the cage.

I just noticed recently that at night she has been walking around and climbing the sides of her tub. I know it cant be too dry because I keep it moist and do the water test weekly(squeeze the dirt for excessive water). So I thought maybe shes getting a bit big for her tub.
It really shouldn’t be that saturated, if it’s that waterlogged she may be roaming because of that. I saw you had pictures and then they were removed, but pictures would definitely help determine if it’s too small.

Cycle of Chaos

Arachnopeon
Sure, one sec. I'll re-upload them, I am trying to get an image of the spider out in the open, but shes not having it. Please if you do see anything wrong let me know! I usually pour water about once a week, but recently due to the space heater Ive been pouring water twice. Also dont mind the heat cord on the back, I used it a couple months back when the space heater died, but its not plugged it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Sure, one sec. I'll re-upload them, I am trying to get an image of the spider out in the open, but shes not having it. Please if you do see anything wrong let me know! I usually pour water about once a week, but recently due to the space heater Ive been pouring water twice. Also dont mind the heat cord on the back, I used it a couple months back when the space heater died, but its not plugged it.
Well the enclosure seems fine sized if she is fitting comfortably into that burrow, I would let up on the water for a bit and just keep it moist rather than soaked. As long as there isn’t a substantial risk of injury from a fall I wouldn’t worry too much about some roaming. Mayhaps shes hungry, and that’s why she’s been so out and about.

Cycle of Chaos

Arachnopeon
Okay, thanks for the tip, I'll let up on the water. Ive fed her a roach about a day ago, but it was small so I might feed her again tonight. Again thanks for the info!

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Hi everyone, while Ive never posted on here before I have visited this site more times I can count with information on my Ts. I have a question that I cant seem to find the right answer for regarding my 7" female stirmi:

She is being kept in a large plastic tub and has been doing great but she starting to get a bit big for the tub. I have a large 30 gal aquarium that I used to keep fish in 20-something years ago.... I was wondering if anyone has had success in keeping any stirmi's in a glass aquarium. There is no holes in the side for ventilation which worries me and has kept me from moving her already. Ive seen some people keep their Ts like this with a screen lid and plexiglass or something to stop the humidity from leaving, but would that still allow enough airflow? Right now the only Ts I have in glass aquariums is my G porteri and my two LPs, the rest are in critter keepers or storage containers.

I guess what im trying to ask is what is everyones option on glass aquariums for stirmis?? Thanks for any help!
The moisture stays preserved within tubs for far longer, the solid lid and side vent are superior for that reason among others when housing this species. I keep most of my moisture loving NWs pretty much the same way. Nothing makes sub dry out faster then top vent, especially during the winter. Keeping them in aquariums is definitely possible, but it makes it all the more difficult for you to get your ventilation ratio right, and if you don't...then you could accidentally sentence your spider to death by stagnant air, or the opposite with it drying out too quickly, and your T dehydrating. That's why their best avoided IMO, particularly when there are better/cheaper options widely available.

Theraphosa simply need to be kept on moist sub, not sopping wet, they also require good constant ventilation and airflow within their enclosures. You shouldn't cut down on one to make up for another, and vice versa. Check out this thread for some extra info. http://arachnoboards.com/threads/theraphosa-care-and-info.303033/

Cycle of Chaos

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for the info. I think I will keep her in her tub enclosure. I'll be sure to cut down on the water pouring. She's still climbing the cage when I just went to check her tonight, I noticed that she had been drinking (water dripping from her fangs) although she might have just walked in her water dish.

Another question that I have while watching her tonight: Springtails....I know they are actually good, but is it save for her to drink the water while they are there. I clean out the water dish every day and sure enough they are back that night. Has anyone ever had a problem with their Ts drinking springtail water?