Is it ok to leave the food like this?

50centipede

Internecivus raptus
IMG_20190725_063341_0171.jpg

A worm carcass fell into Hysterocrates sling's little burrow.
T had a huge meal but the remaining worm has already attracted quite a few scavenger mites.
If they are really harmless as some keepers say is it ok to leave it like this?
The lid is plastic mesh and the enclosure is well ventilated.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I would usually take out the remains of it after 24hrs or so.

50centipede

Internecivus raptus
I would usually take out the remains of it after 24hrs or so.
To do that I have to demolish the burrow so I'm wondering which is better for T. It is evident a carcass of that size of would result a huge swarm of mites but if they are really harmless as some say, maybe they'll just disperse after they're done with the worm?

Last edited:

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I’ve had this same issue with my new
slings. They drag the prey into the burrow and it’s super hard to get out without hurting them...

50centipede

Internecivus raptus
I’ve had this same issue with my new
slings. They drag the prey into the burrow and it’s super hard to get out without hurting them...
People say "small number of mites are fine, they are harmless scavengers"...
but how about large numbers, given that ventilation and other conditions are green?
I once kept a funnel spider in a dirty enclosure... and it was totally covered with mites, yet hunted and grew normally.
Now I don't wanna see that happening to my Ts but curious to what degree does a large number of scavenger mites affect arthropods?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I would be more concerned about mould. Meal worms mould quickly - this was 24 hours later. And I don't like mould like this in spiderling enclosures. I have a thin, pointy pair of tweezers that I use to get into tiny spots like that.
DSC03451-2.jpg

50centipede

Internecivus raptus
I would be more concerned about mould. Meal worms mould quickly - this was 24 hours later. And I don't like mould like this in spiderling enclosures. I have a thin, pointy pair of tweezers that I use to get into tiny spots like that.
View attachment 315588
I've never had fungi problems in my enclosures, maybe I should thank the mites :confused:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It is literally not a problem to leave it. It will be eaten by mites, it might mold, etc etc but then the fuel for those will run out and it will be just like it was before the carcass was there. If it really bothers the T, they will remove it from the burrow and then you could grab it if you wanted.

50centipede

Internecivus raptus
It is literally not a problem to leave it. It will be eaten by mites, it might mold, etc etc but then the fuel for those will run out and it will be just like it was before the carcass was there. If it really bothers the T, they will remove it from the burrow and then you could grab it if you wanted.
Makes sense, a lot of people seem to concern mites explode in large numbers tho.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
One of my spiderlings uses remains of feeders and moults to line their burrow. It's not been a big deal. There was some mould, so I tossed in a few springtails. The one time they decided they had too many body parts, they did toss out a bit of mealworm and some moult pieces. They're keeping the rest because that's how they roll.

People worry about mites because they have the idea that all mites are parasitic. Same issue with nematodes.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Makes sense, a lot of people seem to concern mites explode in large numbers tho.
Mites "explode in large numbers" is the conditions are right - moist substrate and a steady food supply (meaning constantly having fresh dead feeders in there). And even then, a large number of mites - AT MOST - is simply irritating to a spider because they will clean food remnants off mouth parts when there are enough if them.