Is it common to get allergies to mealworms and other feeder insects?

Fade

Arachnosquire
I am about ready to buy some mealworms for my T but I keep seeing that people get serious allergic reactions to it. I know wearing a mask and gloves can help. I have had allergies most of my life. So just not sure about this. Can anyone ease my mind on this topic? Thanks

cold blood

Staff member
I've never heard of mealworms causing allergies...but I'm sure its possible... know the waste from roaches and crickets can be a major allergen....If you keep mealies warm and feed them, there s a lot of waste produced...although they can easily be kept in the fridge for months on end, where they go dormant....I would expect this to all but eliminate any allergens produced.

Fade

Arachnosquire
I've never heard of mealworms causing allergies...but I'm sure its possible... know the waste from roaches and crickets can be a major allergen....If you keep mealies warm and feed them, there s a lot of waste produced...although they can easily be kept in the fridge for months on end, where they go dormant....I would expect this to all but eliminate any allergens produced.
Hopefully you're right, I was planning to keep them in the fridge anyway. Quick question, when I feed them weekly with some carrots do I leave the tub out of the fridge for 24 hours so they can eat or do I just stick it right back in the fridge? Thanks

cold blood

Staff member
If theyre in the fridge, they will be dormant and wont need to be fed at all.

Fade

Arachnosquire
If theyre in the fridge, they will be dormant and wont need to be fed at all.
So I don't have to give them oats and something for hydration? Can I just use the cup they came in then, instead of buying a bigger tub?

cold blood

Staff member
yep, just put em in the fridge...that's it...dormant animals do not eat or drink.

cold blood

Staff member
sweet, thanks. Don't you have to gutload them though?
Gutload...lol, literally one of the funniest terms ever....I call it feed...and no, its not necessary....if you like you can warm them, and feed them, but then give them a day or two before refrigerating so they can process the food.