1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it a good idea for a beginner to start with more than one T?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Jmanbeing93, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Jmanbeing93

Jmanbeing93 Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    Ok, so much like klaasi. I watched a couple of videos on B. klaasi, I am pretty drawn to that one too. Beautiful and slow moving, seems a bit skittish.

Is B.hamorii the fastest growing Brachypelma? I remember reading that somewhere but I doubt it is true.

2. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince Active Member

Iiiii think the B. albopilosum is? But I cannot commit to that 100%.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

I can only speak for my Ts, but all three of my B. albopilosum grew a lot faster than I expected them to at first. Definitely faster than the other Brachys (emilia, boehmei) in my collection. Always ready for a meal unless a molt is happening in the next couple of days.

4. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnobaron Active Member

I think it's either B. albopilosum or B. vagans

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnobaron Active Member

Yeah, emilia are pretty slow

I got my emilia at 2" in October of last year and she's moulted 3 times and is about 3".
    My hamorii moulted twice and went from 2.75" to 4" in the space of 13 months.
    My albopilosum had moulted 4 times and doubled in size (from 2" to 4") within 9 months.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Walker253

Walker253 Arachnobaron Active Member

B hamorii isn't the slowest, but far from the fastest. I gotta go with the B vagans and B albopilosum as well for speed, but not really that is just faster, they in my experience are always ready to eat and rarely turn down a meal.
    I also feel getting a couple to start with may be smart. Decide if it's truly something you want. You can buy more in a week or so ;). I generally suggest that a young sexed female is the way to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. WillyNilly418

WillyNilly418 Arachnopeon

Personally i think its better to start off with 1 spider and see how well that goes for a couple weeks if you feel comfortable and know that it is right for you then i think it would be appropriate for more than one T.

8. JoshDM020

JoshDM020 Arachnoknight Active Member

I personally started with three. One of each of the "beginner" types (arboreal, terrestrial, and web-dwellers). I was not and still am not overwhelmed. And my collection has gone up to six.
    So, three might not be a bad idea. Especially of the same genus. You could get one adult, one juvie, and one sling. Just to have an all around learning experience. Or two juvies and a sling. Or one juvie and two slings. Or... you get my drift.
    I feel like three would be a good solid safe number. Plus, having 8 spiders in your room may be too much for any existing fears to over come. Baby steps tend to be best in those situations.

• Like Like x 2
  9. zxneon

zxneon Arachnopeon

Latvia
    Ii`m beginner and i have 10 Ts .
    I did know that i want , no need tarantulas :) Before them i was keeping true spider for some good time . Even did rise slings from eggsac.
    Get maybe different Ts not just brachys as start . Something like GBB, LP and curlyhair

10. sasker

sasker Arachnoknight Active Member

Personally, I think it is not a problem to start with slings and to buy a few. But I think 8 Brachys are a bit much. I like the genus and I have experience with three, but they are not necessarily my favourite genus. You will only know what tarantulas you like when you start keeping them, but it is not unlikely that you will prefer other spiders later on (fast moving aboreals, fast growing giants like Pamphobeteus or Theraphosa, a colourful webber like a GBB). Depending on how much room you have, you may regret that your limited shelf space is taken up by 8 Brachypelma that are largely very similar in behaviour, slow growing and - some would say - boring.

If you start keeping tarantulas because you want to learn about them and appreciate them, you might want to diversify your collection. You can buy two Brachypelma slings and see how that goes for one or two months. In the meantime you have time to plan your next purchase.

I think you would be fine with slings. Like you, I also had a fear of spiders that I wanted to get rid of. Starting with slings has the benefit that they are not so scary to begin with (who is afraid of a sling smaller than your thumbnail?) and that they are just doing more (eating, digging, molting, growing, getting their adult colours) than adult tarantulas. And as others have mentioned before, they are not that impossible to care for. Just do your homework and you will be fine! :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. OliverWhatever

OliverWhatever Arachnosquire

Norway
    It's something quite special to be able to watch your teeny tiny little sling grow and mature into a full grown spider, seeing more and more of its adult coloration set in after every molt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

13. Deeser

Deeser Arachnosquire Active Member

Montreal
    Definitely a good way to get over arachnophobia :) my experience was similar to @miss moxie, I had this fear of spiders instilled in me from my youth, then ended up holding an adult t at a reptile expo (a show of machoism as I was with 2 girls who had 0 fear...) and I ended up buying a sling on the spot.

My first was a Brachypelma Albiceps. I definitely agree with starting with a sling or juvie, as the bigger guys can be a bit intimidating at first.

I would actually recommend getting a GBB though to anyone looking for a first spider; they're what really got me hooked. Yes they can be a little skittish, but they are beautiful, fast growing, amazing hunters, and they exhibit some arboreal, some terrestrial and some burrowing behaviour. Plus they're prolific webbers. Great display T and never a dull moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. VanessaS

VanessaS Arachnobaron Active Member

Personally, I would get a B.albopilosum spiderling and a juvenile female of any of the other Brachypelma that you had on your list. That will give you the best of both worlds and finding a home for two won't be that much more difficult than one. The female will likely appreciate in price as well... they do in Canada.
    My B.albopilosum spiderling went from 1/4" to over 2" in a year - not power feeding and at room temperature. She has turned out to be female. I have a four year old female who is 5.5" They are the fastest growing of the genus. They are extremely entertaining spiderlings, are very hardy, and never turn down a meal.
    Out of all the others on your list, it would probably be a looks preference that would decide which to go with. The only two that I don't have on your list are B.vagans and B.kahlenbergi. Although all of them require the same husbandry, some of them are less tolerant than others in the personality department - B.vagans and B.verdezi specifically. B.boehmei has a reputation of being one of the worst hair kickers of the lot, but boy are they gorgeous.
    If you are going to collect this genus, it might be prudent to invest in a box of latex gloves and an antihistamine as well. Many people are very sensitive to their hairs, which are everywhere in their enclosure even if they aren't dousing you with them, and many have reported that the sensitivity gets worse with more exposure.
    I have seven species in this genus - albopilosum, klaasi, emilia, hamorii, boehmei, albiceps and verdezi - and I love all of them. Most I purchased as young females around 2.5" and that is my preference always.
    I started out buying females only and I still go that route today if I have the opportunity. If spiderlings are the only option - I buy two in the hopes of getting a female.
    Although they are not my favourite genus, they are gorgeous tarantulas and are a great place to start in the hobby. You can't go wrong with this genus.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Trenor

Trenor Arachnoprince Active Member

NC
    I can't say if it's a good idea or not cause it really just depends on who you ask. It'll be different based on the person.

I can say I got two slings when I started and had several more pretty soon after that. I made sure to look up how to care and house them properly. Having more than once sling got me used to working with them faster that way.

In the end it really depends on what you're wanting out of the hobby and how much time you are wanting to put into it.

16. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

You know, when I started my Theraphosidae/venomous inverts "adventure" was back then, in '92. I was a teen listening mostly to Slayer, Overkill, Judas Priest and such. No Internet back then of course (and go figure in Italy). No T's/whatever forum where ask. Had to take a freaking train for reach the city of Milano, the only city where we (me & bro) could had the chance to buy T's straight from breeders/sellers.

Back then I was aware of (almost) nothing concerning the care of those. Let alone price/s. Anyway, we had 'enough' cash in our pockets, no matter. When we heard about how much cheap they were we ended home with two T's (scaring the .... out of other Italians, in the train back home) and not even a week after, other two arachnids: scorpions this time.

This for saying that asking those kind of questions, sometimes, is IMO futile.

Do what you wish. One, two, three, a dozen of T's... it's the same if you remain inside your "league" of experience, nothing will change, aside 'space' and 'cash' of course :)

17. Jmanbeing93

Jmanbeing93 Arachnosquire

Storia affascinante! You sound like me when I was a teenager in musical tastes, except no fear of spiders and Italian. I don't fear spiders now but back then I couldn't be in the same room with a tarantula.