Is it a good idea for a beginner to start with more than one T?

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
Still complentating getting a tarantula and I was scanning around the internet, found some Brachypelmas (I want to collect all of the genus if possible, that is the ultimate goal for me.)

I thought that it would maybe a good idea to perhaps get the eight spiders (B.albiceps, B.albo, B.vagans, B.emilia, B.klaasi, B.boehmei, B.kahlenbergi, B.verdezi) and jumpstart my collection?

I feel confident enough to ask the experts on Arachnoboards should I run into any problems but I want a second opinion, just in case this is a stupid idea and I am being way over my head, biting more than I can chew.

Especially @EulersK and @Ungoliant, I really like your insights on owning and caring for T's. Is it a bad idea, should I start with one T only?

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
Still complentating getting a tarantula and I was scanning around the internet, found some Brachypelmas (I want to collect all of the genus if possible, that is the ultimate goal for me.)

I thought that it would maybe a good idea to perhaps get the eight spiders (B.albiceps, B.albo, B.vagans, B.emilia, B.klaasi, B.boehmei, B.kahlenbergi, B.verdezi) and jumpstart my collection?

I feel confident enough to ask the experts on Arachnoboards should I run into any problems but I want a second opinion, just in case this is a stupid idea and I am being way over my head, biting more than I can chew.

Especially @EulersK and @Ungoliant, I really like your insights on owning and caring for T's. Is it a bad idea, should I start with one T only?

If you decided the hobby is not for you, you would end up with 8 unwanted spiders. I think it's better to start with 1 or 2 and go from there. Some people like display T's, and if the individual they get turns out to be a hole they get disappointed.

As for me, Im just happy to see their web, so I give mine the opportunity to hide to their hearts content. Just knowing I have something to care for, whether I see them or not is already fulfilling.

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
If you decided the hobby is not for you, you would end up with 8 unwanted spiders. I think it's better to start with 1 or 2 and go from there. Some people like display T's, and if the individual they get turns out to be a hole they get disappointed.

As for me, Im just happy to see their web, so I give mine the opportunity to hide to their hearts content. Just knowing I have something to care for, whether I see them or not is already fulfilling.
Good point, that wouldn't be fair to the tarantulas if I changed my mind. I suppose it would help to explain why I want to get into the hobby, I am trying to desensitize myself so I can be free of being afraid of these animals and appreciate them on a deeper level.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Agreed. I'd start with one or two slings, decide how you like it and get a handle on how to properly house and care for them.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Start with one and decide if you even like it. Getting 8 right off the bat is honestly a bad idea. Also, get an adult since its your one and only. You don't really want an unimpressive spiderling as your first. I would get an adult terrestrial new world.

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
Start with one and decide if you even like it. Getting 8 right off the bat is honestly a bad idea. Also, get an adult since its your one and only. You don't really want an unimpressive spiderling as your first. I would get an adult terrestrial new world.
Ok, I was really wanting to get the slings and them grow and have more time with them. Any other pointers?

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
Ok, I was really wanting to get the slings and them grow and have more time with them. Any other pointers?
I do agree with getting an adult first. Slings are disappointing as first-time pets as theyre fragile and sometimes fussy eaters. They will also remain small for a year or so. It's easy to admire them when you get them as adults.

boina

Lady of the mites
If you want slings and watch them grow then by all means, go for it! Adult Brachypelmas can be a bit boring if they are your only spiders. They just sit around looking pretty. They don't eat very often or molt or do anthing else exiting. I support getting slings.

carterxwr

Arachnopeon
Most Brachypelmas are pretty hearty as slings IME. Gotta go with @boina on this one. Plus, if you go with a sling to start you can experience pre-molt behavior, and molting which is a very valuable experience as it seems that a lot of people that buy their first T as an adult often end up confused by long fasting etc.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I am contradicting my beginning days by saying this, but I agree with the others who posted before me, for one that is not sure if they want to dive head first into the hobby, it is a good idea to start with one. From experience, I started with slings and it really was not difficult once I gained more knowledge. I have the same goal as you, as I also want to obtain all Sp. in the Brachypelma genus (I started with a B. albopilosum). But, I will go ahead and echo everyone else about starting. I hope you become addicted like the rest of us.

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
I hope you become addicted like the rest of us.
I am addicted, I just don't have any T's. :DImagine if I had them, tarantula-holic!

But joking aside, I am serious about getting into the hobby and contributing to the hobby while learning more about these creatures that I once feared.

My intention is to use them for exposure therapy to further desensitize myself like I mentioned earlier. How realistic and feasible is my intention? I also want to observe them scientifically and document my observations as I learn more about them, although I will probably make a separate thread that. That's why I want to get into the hobby, to learn and become informed about them.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'd normally recommend getting a juvenile to start with (it's not a "fragile little sling" but you still get to watch it grow) but Brachypelma slings are pretty hardy anyway, a lot of them seem to grow really slowly after they hit around 2" though (albopilosum and vagans being exceptions) so bear that in mind.

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
I'd normally recommend getting a juvenile to start with (it's not a "fragile little sling" but you still get to watch it grow) but Brachypelma slings are pretty hardy anyway, a lot of them seem to grow really slowly after they hit around 2" though (albopilosum and vagans being exceptions) so bear that in mind.
What about albiceps? Is it worth getting as a sling/juvie?

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
OP- this is good advice IMO-Getting a juvie is not a bad idea

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
If you can get a juvie albiceps then I'd say get one, I don't know how common they are your side of the pond but juvies and larger are as rare as rocking horse eggs here, I was looking for months before I caved and got a sling.

OP- this is good advice IMO-Getting a juvie is not a bad idea
I kept seeing that starting with a juvenile was recommended when doing my initial research, I didn't get any slings until I'd kept juvies and a subadult for a few months first, Brachys are pretty bulletproof though so getting a sling or two wouldn't hurt

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I would recommend starting with one juvenile (or sling if you have your heart set on that) of the more docile terrestrial species you like best. I would say this to any beginner, but especially to one who is looking to use tarantulas as a DIY exposure therapy. (If the therapy doesn't work for you, you only need to rehome one tarantula.)

Advantages of starting with one tarantula:
  • less expensive
  • not needing to find new homes for multiple tarantulas in the event that you decide the hobby isn't for you
  • having the chance to master the basics on one tarantula, so if you mess up, you're not risking multiple tarantulas

Advantages of starting with a juvenile or adult:
  • hardier (slings can be a little more fragile, especially those smaller than 1")
  • immediately having a more impressive-looking spider with adult coloring

Advantages of starting with a sling:
  • less expensive
  • getting to experience molts and rehousing more frequently (good for building experience and seeing how you like the hobby)
  • the satisfaction of seeing your tarantula grow from a tiny sling into a large adult
  • As a therapy spider, it might be less intimidating to start with something small.

If you get a sling, these videos are very much worth watching:

My intention is to use them for exposure therapy to further desensitize myself like I mentioned earlier. How realistic and feasible is my intention?
I've read testimonials from several people who used tarantulas to get over arachnophobia. A slow, docile terrestrial can be a great form of exposure therapy, as they don't have the long, spindly legs that many people find creepy and aren't likely to be too intimidating. (I don't think you would want your first therapy spider to be overly defensive.)

Last edited:

Grace Cannell

Arachnosquire
I second starting with a juvie but it really is up to you. They're a pleasure to care for regardless of age, but if you want one for some time then a juvie or sling is best, you don't want to end up with a mature male and only have it a year or so. I started with a juvenile, and its true they are cheaper, already impressive looking and much hardier. I recently got a sling and that has been just as fun to have, sling behaviour is really endearing. If you want to experience T keeping as a whole perhaps a sling would be good, if you're patient that is. Bottom line is its completely up to you :D

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
I entered the hobby getting a juvie A. Avic and a few weeks later a juvie G. Pulchripes. About a month later I picked up several slings. I've never bought an adult. I enjoy watching them change as they grow. It's a great experience.

I definitely recommend starting with a juvie.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
You have to mess up really badly with your husbandry to kill a NW terrestrial sling. They are not nearly as fragile as some would lead you to believe. You can start with an adult if you really want to, but they're several years closer to death and cost you a lot more money. Juveniles are somewhere in the middle.

Back on topic, I think it's probably best to keep 1 or 2 Ts for a few months at minimum to make sure you like the idea of having them around and to gain experience. I started with 2 slings and kept them for nearly 4 years before getting any more, because I wasn't sure if I'd like keeping adults or not.

Last edited:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
My intention is to use them for exposure therapy to further desensitize myself like I mentioned earlier. How realistic and feasible is my intention? I also want to observe them scientifically and document my observations as I learn more about them, although I will probably make a separate thread that. That's why I want to get into the hobby, to learn and become informed about them.
It worked for me. I was a serious arachnophobe who would involuntarily scream in response to spotting even jumping spiders close to me. I grew up with a mother who was terrified of them and gave me a lot of misinformation on them so as a child it just took and stuck-- until I held my brother's tarantula on a dare. I was hooked the moment I watched her walk gently across my hands while laying down web with her spinnerets against my skin.

I don't advocate holding tarantulas given what I know now about how easily a fall can be fatal for them, but I still think of that experience fondly.

Yes. This species grows sooooo sloooowwwww.