Is he dying or in a delayed molt?

Marvelx6492

Arachnopeon
Good Morning everyone,

I'm a noob to the arachnid world and exotic pet ownership but I've always been fascinated by spiders ever since I was 7. I bought my G. rosea (Bane) from a local pet store 3 years ago. Of course, I never really verified his sex but assumed he was a male due to his size. Recently he's been less active and today I caught him on his back, then upright, then on his back again. I thought it was a pre-molt ritual or something but his legs began to curl underneath him and his abdomen looks incredibly small. Some of his legs quiver and it almost seems like he's sleeping. Attached is the picture I just took as he lies in the ICU I made. I'm really scared for him, I don't want to lose my hairy little friend Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Good Morning everyone,

I'm a noob to the arachnid world and exotic pet ownership but I've always been fascinated by spiders ever since I was 7. I bought my G. rosea (Bane) from a local pet store 3 years ago. Of course, I never really verified his sex but assumed he was a male due to his size. Recently he's been less active and today I caught him on his back, then upright, then on his back again. I thought it was a pre-molt ritual or something but his legs began to curl underneath him and his abdomen looks incredibly small. Some of his legs quiver and it almost seems like he's sleeping. Attached is the picture I just took as he lies in the ICU I made. I'm really scared for him, I don't want to lose my hairy little friend Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
That is a mature male who is dying of old age, sorry.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Unfortunately(if I'm seeing this correctly), I believe your tarantula is a mature male at the end of his time :( very sorry for your loss, but at least its nature in the end, and he made it to a ripe old age.

Marvelx6492

Arachnopeon
I was afraid to hear that. Well, he'll be sitting next to me on my couch in his final moments with me. I won't give up on being a T-owner, but saying goodbye to this little guy is very heartbreaking. Thank you for your time.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Sorry for your loss...

Good to see you're not giving up on the T's though. Maybe go for a female next time, they live a lot longer :)

NaJoe

Arachnopeon
I am truly sorry for your loss... T.T I just got really depressed...

Wasabiroot

Arachnopeon
Despite it being a natural part of a male's life (besides mating), I always find the death from old age of a mature male sad. They just kind of...fade away.
I am sorry for your loss, but know that if you choose to dive deeper into this hobby, there are plenty of us here to help you take the next steps. This doesn't have to be the end of your journey.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Sorry about your loss -- but glad you enjoyed your fellow for 3 years. And I hope, having enjoyed this one, you will choose to get another one (hopefully female this time)!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Sorry to hear the news @Marvelx6492

For your next specimen I would recommend you get a female so you will have her a lot longer.

3 years is a good run for a mature male so you must have done something right! :)

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Such a sad time watching mature male fade. When my last g. Sp "northern gold" started his decline I shark tanked him in a 40g breeding enclosure I have with my female, that way he might have had an opportunity to fulfil himself one last time. And he had multiple times, they lasted almost 3 weeks together until my female did me the service of ending him meaningfully before he simply withered .

It's so sad when the males just start to whither.