Is he dead or molting?

• Dead

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Wait before tossing

Votes: 19 90.5%

• Total voters

RedVelvet

Arachnosquire
I would say remove the heat mat/pad entirely, the worst case scenario is that it's movement is slower and that it's metabolism will be slowed down while it is colder. If your room stays around the high 60's then it'll be fine, but do make sure that it gets around the mid 70's to high 70's. That's where the tarantula is most active, from my experience.

boina

Lady of the mites
To me, the spider looks dead. (@RedVelvet - dead spiders don't always show a death curl). At this point in time I would just check: carefully try to remove the exuvia and see what part of the spider is stuck, if any. A dead spider will be flacid. If there's still some kind of resistance you can try dripping water on it's mouth parts to help it drink, that's much more effective than running a shower. I agree with @KezyGLA and @PidderPeets, the enclosure looks too dry and the heat pad didn't help. If a tarantula hasn't stocked up on fluids internally before a molt they won't make it through it.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Ok I unplugged the mat. The reason I got it was because I room stays very cold and I really didn't know anything about Ts but a mat was suggested by a friend because we leave our fan on high and i was worried it would get too cold in its enclosed. He had a water dish that I keep fresh water in about an inch deep. I don't know if It makes an difference but the mat is on the side, not bottom. Never the less I can completely remove it if it's necassary. I personally think he got dehydrated should I love him back to my room with the heat pad?
As already stated, as long as the temps are in the high 60s or higher, the T will be fine. If the room is kept lower than that, is there anywhere that you can move it where it will be kept at that temperature? Heating up the entire room with a space heater is the safest option, but a heat mat would at least be safer if you attached a thermostat to it.

Hopefully the T isn't beyond hope. If a T seems to be having difficulty molting or is clearly stuck, the sooner you intervene, the better. It's possible to help stuck Ts out of molts (I explained it in an earlier post), but it's best to do it as soon as you realize it's stuck, as it's body will hopefully still be soft and malleable. Once it's new body starts to harden, it becomes more difficult to maneuver the molt off and deformities are more likely.

Good luck and keep us updated on things. If you decide to get any more tarantulas, you can check on here beforehand to get the most accurate information on their care. Most pet stores and caresheets you'll find have terrible and incorrect info. Plus, on here you get to converse with fellow arachnid lovers, which is a rare commodity these days

Brookema90

Arachnopeon
Just wanted to update. He definitely passed :/ he still hasn't moved. I think he was dehydrated and it became a failed molt. Either way I would like to get another as friendly as he was. If anyone has ANY advice (such as keeping more moisture in the enclosure) that would be nice. He did have a pretty large water dish just not picture that I always kept filled and even sat in it a few times. Tia!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'm sorry for your loss. Sometimes, they just have a bad molt, and it's not the result of anything the keeper did wrong.

Either way I would like to get another as friendly as he was. If anyone has ANY advice (such as keeping more moisture in the enclosure) that would be nice. He did have a pretty large water dish just not picture that I always kept filled and even sat in it a few times.
If you're getting another Aphonopelma seemanni, they usually appreciate a little moisture in their substrate as well as room to dig.

RedVelvet

Arachnosquire
The passing of any animal that has become apart of your daily routine is hard on allot of people. Especially if you just purchased it from the pet store recently. I am sorry.

Just wanted to update. He definitely passed :/ he still hasn't moved. I think he was dehydrated and it became a failed molt. Either way I would like to get another as friendly as he was. If anyone has ANY advice (such as keeping more moisture in the enclosure) that would be nice. He did have a pretty large water dish just not picture that I always kept filled and even sat in it a few times. Tia!
As @Ungoliant stated, Aphonopelma seemanni does require moist substrate, but not a flooded enclosure. Your best bet is to not use a heat mat with your next tarantula because the same thing could happen. Also, prepare the enclosure beforehand, as well as mix some vermiculite into whatever type of substrate you were using. Vermiculite helps the water to pass through substrate and if you use peat moss or topsoil, the substrate will retain the water a bit more-so than if you were to just give it straight coco fibre.

Aphonopelma seemanni likes to dig, and with a smaller specimen, it will definitely make a burrow. make sure that the substrate is packed down, but make sure as well that there's plenty of substrate for it to dig, and in case it climbs the container/enclosure and falls, a ruptured abdomen is no fun, for both the T, and the owner.