Is Asian Forest Scorpion a good beginner's scorp?

Mx Shenanigan

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone~
I have been lurking around different forums and websites, and most of them say Emperor scorps are the best beginner's scorpions, but I couldn't find any info on AFS. They don't seem to be very popular - I couldn't find many care sheets on them, either. I do know some of the basic stuff (temperature, humidity, feeding, etc.) but not much more... anyone know if they would be a good one for a beginner? Thank you.

P. S. If not, what would a good newbie species? And where should I buy one?

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Hi everyone~
I have been lurking around different forums and websites, and most of them say Emperor scorps are the best beginner's scorpions, but I couldn't find any info on AFS. They don't seem to be very popular - I couldn't find many care sheets on them, either. I do know some of the basic stuff (temperature, humidity, feeding, etc.) but not much more... anyone know if they would be a good one for a beginner? Thank you.

There a pretty good hardy species. Emperors are now insanely pricey and AFS look pretty much the same an their dirt cheap. They have pretty much the same care as emperors. Care sheets are pretty much useless. This forum is the best info wise. Some other easy ones are deasert hairy scorpions or Hadrurus arizonensis

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hi everyone~

Surprised that you are not able to find much about them since they are basically one of the most common species to own as pets today.

They are good for a beginner, yes.

Temps in the high 70s to low 80s.
Don't chase humidity numbers, just keep the substrate (several inches capable of burrowing into) moist and cover half the lid with saran wrap to retain humidity.
Offer food once a week or every other week. Remove it and try again in a week if it does not feed overnight.

Care sheets are useless. Obtain your care info from this site.

A lot of Heterometrus spp. are marketed as Pandinus spp.

Heterometrus Spinifer

Arachnopeon
Hi Mx Shenanigan,

My first scorpion species was a Heterometrus Spinifer (Asian Forest Scorpion) and I can say I learned a lot from having them first. They are a whole lot more aggressive than Emperors and tend to not do as well communally although it is possible. I originally had two but unfortunately upon getting home and checking on them the other night, they were fighting. The slightly smaller one only lived a few days after that even with me putting it in a new solo tank. It turns out this is because the other scorpion was gravid. If you have any suspicions of your scorpion being gravid make sure to isolate it because this is one of the most stressful situations an Asian Forest Scorpion can be in. This species can also be one of the hardest species to sex out of all the large pedipalp scorpions. Luckily for me I now have a bunch of little scorplings because the mom just gave birth!

Hope this helps,
Alec

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Hi Mx Shenanigan,

My first scorpion species was a Heterometrus Spinifer (Asian Forest Scorpion) and I can say I learned a lot from having them first. They are a whole lot more aggressive than Emperors and tend to not do as well communally although it is possible. I originally had two but unfortunately upon getting home and checking on them the other night, they were fighting. The slightly smaller one only lived a few days after that even with me putting it in a new solo tank. It turns out this is because the other scorpion was gravid. If you have any suspicions of your scorpion being gravid make sure to isolate it because this is one of the most stressful situations an Asian Forest Scorpion can be in. This species can also be one of the hardest species to sex out of all the large pedipalp scorpions. Luckily for me I now have a bunch of little scorplings because the mom just gave birth!

Hope this helps,
Alec
Really I found mine extremely easy to sex

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Just an FYI. These scorps native habitat is damp leaf mold and the dirt beneath. So figure a temp range of 50F to 80F. They love a hyperactive detritus layer and would be considered the main battle tanks thereof. They would have to be trained to be visible during the day. Their natural enemy is birds and one coming out during the day is future history throughout SE Asia where the Mynas are everywhere.
Damp on down to soggy, marshy, muddy, no problem. Dried out environment = hibernate time. They vanish during the dry season. Right now the rainy has started and I see Myna snacks flattened all over the roads. (And a few flat Mynas that were a little too engrossed in their meal)
And no, not communal. Another scorp = dinner.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Just an FYI. These scorps native habitat is damp leaf mold and the dirt beneath. So figure a temp range of 50F to 80F. They love a hyperactive detritus layer and would be considered the main battle tanks thereof. They would have to be trained to be visible during the day. Their natural enemy is birds and one coming out during the day is future history throughout SE Asia where the Mynas are everywhere.
Damp on down to soggy, marshy, muddy, no problem. Dried out environment = hibernate time. They vanish during the dry season. Right now the rainy has started and I see Myna snacks flattened all over the roads. (And a few flat Mynas that were a little too engrossed in their meal)
And no, not communal. Another scorp = dinner.
Mine is weird then it’s almost always out and now barely ever goes into its burrow or other hide.

arachnidgill

Arachnoknight
I too am new to scorpions. I just purchased an AFS, maybe 4-5 inches (not sure how you measure scorps). Didn't come with scientific name, I think they belong to Heterometrus. I've got it on moist substrate with a hide and water dish. I was wondering how big they get, I was told 9-12 inches? Also from looking at pictures I think it's female, can anyone confirm that? Thank you!

Attachments

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Didn't come with scientific name, I think they belong to Heterometrus.
Looks H Laoticus. Easy way to spot: Under a bright light Laoticus is blue green. Spinifer is red black, Petersii, coal black.

Last edited: