Is an extremely 'mobile' spider something to worry about?

InternetSwag

Arachnopeon
My A. Avic has started roaming, a lot. Like what I feel is an abnormal amount. When I first got him last week he sat in the top corner where we made a web.
But since yesterday he has been walking around his entire enclosure non stop to the point where I'm wondering if something is wrong. He will walk along the walls all the way around in a 360 degree radius, a few times, like a lap. Then he will go to the ceiling and do the same thing, but to the ground.

First I thought he was looking for food, webbing spots or a water dish, but he walked right through the water dish and I see no webbing. And I gave him a cricket two days ago.

It's about 20 C' atm so I doubt it's heat, do i just ignore it? All my other T's barely move so this is quite concerning

This is what I fed him

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
He has gotten over the shock of being moved around and has adjusted enough to start exploring his new home. Also, they get like that when they're hungry - they're hunting.

Flashback

Arachnosquire
This is all good to hear, lol. My a chalcodes does this sometime & I wasn't sure why. Good to hear it's normal (for a T) behavior!

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Roaming can be a sign that something is wrong. In nature roaming means that tarantula puts itself in danger. The only tarantulas that roam in the wild are adult males searching for females, or tarantulas searchinc for a good place to dig burrows. They hide or sits still. It does not always mean that something is wrong, but in many case it does. In some cases with roaming tarantulas, it means that for ex, they are not happy with the enviroment and search for a better hide. In my experience, giving a roaming tarantula an rearranged cage, like deeper sub or better hide can result in a totally diffrent normal behavour, like emideatly taking shelter or stop rosming and start digging or hiding. Dont agree with the other posters that roaming is great and dandy!

Flashback

Arachnosquire
Roaming can be a sign that something is wrong. In nature roaming means that tarantula puts itself in danger. They hide or sits still. It does not always mean that something is wrong, but in many case it does. In some cases with roaming tarantulas, it means that for ex, they are not happy with the enviroment and search for a better hide. In my experience, giving a roaming tarantula an rearranged cage, like deeper sub or better hide can result in a totally diffrent normal behavour, like emideatly taking shelter or stop rosming and start digging or hiding. Dont agree with the other posters that roaming is great and dandy!
I have a question, should the substrate be changed at some point? My a chalcodes has been in the same substrate since I get her last November. She never roamed or webbed excessively until recently. She just molted & I waited 3 weeks to feed her.

She only goes into the hide if I change the water, otherwise she's out in the open. When I come home she's in different spots, but I 've only seen her crawl around the enclosure after the molt.

Anyway, do you think the substrate needs to be changed? She's webbed & she digs rarely, but she's done it before.

cold blood

Staff member
I have a question, should the substrate be changed at some point? My a chalcodes has been in the same substrate since I get her last November. She never roamed or webbed excessively until recently. She just molted & I waited 3 weeks to feed her.

She only goes into the hide if I change the water, otherwise she's out in the open. When I come home she's in different spots, but I 've only seen her crawl around the enclosure after the molt.

Anyway, do you think the substrate needs to be changed? She's webbed & she digs rarely, but she's done it before.
Substrate doesn't just go bad...it never just needs to be changed....I have decade old sub in some enclosures.

Do not worry about roaming as long as the set up is proper.

Chalcodes tend not to use hides much in captivity....especially as they gain size.

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
Roaming can be a sign that something is wrong. In nature roaming means that tarantula puts itself in danger. The only tarantulas that roam in the wild are adult males searching for females, or tarantulas searchinc for a good place to dig burrows. They hide or sits still. It does not always mean that something is wrong, but in many case it does. In some cases with roaming tarantulas, it means that for ex, they are not happy with the enviroment and search for a better hide. In my experience, giving a roaming tarantula an rearranged cage, like deeper sub or better hide can result in a totally diffrent normal behavour, like emideatly taking shelter or stop rosming and start digging or hiding. Dont agree with the other posters that roaming is great and dandy!
I have experienced unhappy tarantulas do to too much moisture in the sub, but Iv had an A. Chalcodes in the same enclosure for 4 years. She roamed around at first do to the unboxing, but here the past week or so she started climbing alot and I have changed nothing. It's strange, the way Tarantulas work.

I have experienced unhappy tarantulas do to too much moisture in the sub, but Iv had an A. Chalcodes in the same enclosure for 4 years. She roamed around at first do to the unboxing, but here the past week or so she started climbing alot and I have changed nothing. It's strange, the way Tarantulas work.
I should have took my time and read everyone's comments. The last reply by cold blood explained everything. :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator: