Is a Salmon Pink Birdeater OK for a beginner tarantula owner?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
depends on the personallity.. at a large size you need rubber gloves preferably just for the strong urticating hairs
adult female fangs are very large so you might wana test its mood before handling LOL@!
... a adult female would Rival Theraphosa Blondi size... so get ready for needing a big tank 15-30gallon probably ..10"-11" max size,.,.
rumors of 12" wild individuals(No proof of this size) just speculation .. its not a proven fact
my 4.5" juvie female is in a 10gallon

DannyH

Arachnobaron
By salmon pink birdeater I assume you mean an LP. They are not difficult to care for, but I wouldn't handle it. Getting haired in the face by an LP is one of the worst experiences of my teenaged life. I've never been bitten by one, but I can imagine the combonation of venom and very large fangs wouldn't be fun. If you want an impressive T thats docile go for a G. pulchripes.

Earth Tiger

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I won't handle it too often, maybe once every couple of weeks.
Whether it suits a beginner depends on how you want to keep a tarantula. If you are looking for a species that you can occasionally put aside for weeks, go for the Grammostola or Brachypelma species. Lasiodora species are quite active and fast growing and make sure that you can offer them continuously supply of food. They are very hardy but can die from starving easily. Make sure that you can feed it twice a week or feed them a large prey weekly.

And if you want to handle it, it depends on the individual temperament. From my experience their temperaments vary greatly among individuals, but they are just defensive in general. I do own a few very docile and calm individuals that never flick hairs and loved to be handled but certainly my data are not significant enough to draw conclusions upon.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
L.p was MY 1ST t and i LOVED IT... no probs at all except it was a real pain to package and ship off (he was a MM, nuff said lol)

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are great spiders. Get one if you want it. I have 2, one is very sketchy and does laps at the slightest disturbance, the other one stays calm as if it knows its a huge spider. Handled her for a bit just the other day.
L. parahybana female.jpg

mtyrrell

Arachnopeon
The first t i ever brought was a juvie Lp bout 2". I had no idea what it was how big it would get or any care info the guy just said it's a tarantula. now she's a big 9" bueaty they are a very hardy spider i managed with no info so i say go for it why not just watch the hairs there really bad.

As for handling i used to hold mine all the time at first with no trouble but since becoming more knowledable with t's i dont anymore each to there own i guess tho just wear gloves if you do.

ACP123

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the answers guys, but I just got a B. Smithi yesterday. If I get another T, which I probably will, a Salmon Pink Birdeater would be my next choice!

DannyH

Arachnobaron
Thanks for all the answers guys, but I just got a B. Smithi yesterday. If I get another T, which I probably will, a Salmon Pink Birdeater would be my next choice!
Great choice. Smithis are a great starter and very tolerent of handling, as well as very pretty.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
IF you want a T that Rivals a Golaith birdeater in size & weight... LP is the way to go :) much easier care too
Lasiodora Klugi also gets big 7-10.5"+

ElevenBravo

Arachnopeon
Yes good choice my tiny LP sling is munching meal worm parts as we speak. The largest T I have ever handled was the mother of my sling she let me cup her and flip her over while others pointed out the features that made her female (inpromptu ventral sexing class for the new guy) she was about 8"

I can only hope my sling ends up with her temperment because a T her size with a pissy attitude is not desirable to me just scary :D

I chose LP due to its large size and ease of care do your research and you should do just fine as a new guy with Lasoidora parahybana.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
The entire Lasiodora genus is a great place to start for your first tarantula!!

Since you should NOT needlessly handle and tarantula no matter the temperment, the urticating hairs won't be much of a problem. Lasiodora will keep you honest!

I own a Klugi myself but all the species are excellent choices. The feeding drive is quite strong. Anything moving including your fingers will be treated like tasty worms.

Be sure to feed a wide variety of food.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
The entire Lasiodora genus is a great place to start for your first tarantula!!

Since you should NOT needlessly handle and tarantula no matter the temperment, the urticating hairs won't be much of a problem. Lasiodora will keep you honest!

I own a Klugi myself but all the species are excellent choices. The feeding drive is quite strong. Anything moving including your fingers will be treated like tasty worms.

Be sure to feed a wide variety of food.
Variety is probably best. But they do just fine on crickets and worms.