1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invertory - world's first invertebrate inventory tracker (TARANTULAS TOO)

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by ToxoHP, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoprince

Texas
    Advertisement
    I second the desktop app, I keep all my records on there already and it's the most convenient place for me to have them. In the future if a desktop app was produced, but we already had the mobile version, would it be possible to have the data transferred between the two? Would we have to pay separately for both programs or could we buy it on mobile and have the upgraded version on desktop as well?

2. ToxoHP

ToxoHP Arachnopeon

We would most certainly have the ability to transfer data between the two for sure, apart from PC-only features. As for payment side of things, a PC program would have to be a bit more expensive, as our plan for that wasn't just for home owners, but for zoos and research facilities too. But I don't see why we can't add a loyalty discount for those purchased the premium app!

• Like Like x 1
  3. AnObeseHippo

AnObeseHippo Arachnoknight

Toronto
    I got some simple remedies for some of the issues you’ve mentioned. Those are staying under lock and key though, as I’m sure you understand.

I like the idea, and have a similar one brewing for an overlapping user base.

I wish you the best of luck with this.

4. miamc12321

miamc12321 Arachnopeon

Virginia
    I agree with them. Nothing beats a pad of paper and a pilot pen for me. Also, it helps me remember key things when I write it down myself. Technology has failed me. The old pen and pad has not.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  5. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

I'll probably give it a bash to see what it's like but I already have and like the tarantulas android app so it's going to have to be pretty special to get me to switch tbh.

6. Minty

Minty @londontarantulas Arachnosupporter

London
    I'll take a screenshot for you, tomorrow. Be prepared to be underwhelmed though, it's nothing fancy. I just have a tarantula per row, with a few columns of information, such as species, sex, last moult, last ate, DLS, where bought from, country of origin, CB or WC, when bought.

7. Jacobob

Jacobob Arachnopeon

They don’t have that app for IOS so I’ll probably be giving this one a try when it comes out.

8. Jacobob

Jacobob Arachnopeon

They don’t have that app for IOS so I’ll probably be giving this one a try when it comes out.

9. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

Can't stand Apple products personally but the android app does everything I need it to so unless the new app is better then I might as well stick with what works.

• Like Like x 1
  10. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

In the famous word of the crappiest USA leader "WRONG". Electronic data app such as this is inferior to paper and pen.

• Love Love x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. viper69

Yeah it's called MS Excel

12. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoprince Active Member

USA
    Or if you are REALLY cheap (like me) you use libre office calc. (basically the same as MS Excel but free. )

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ToxoHP

ToxoHP Arachnopeon

Okay buddy ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

This post is everything and needs a "funny" AND "love" reaction.

• Love Love x 1
  15. EulersK

EulersK Arachnonomicon Staff Member

Exactly. I'll never understand the point of apps like these. Excel is exceedingly easy to use, and Google has a free version (Sheets). And if you know what you're doing, you can even program it to calculate... anything, really. Time between feedings, average molt time, days since last meal, etc etc etc

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. viper69

Completely agree. Id use excel over anything if I was going to drop paper.

Even Excel on a tablet is superior to an app.

17. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoprince

Texas
    @rushchaser why the dislike? All I did was state what I keep track of.

18. Torech Ungol

Torech Ungol Arachnosquire Active Member

...except that Excel *is* an app?

"App" is short for "application", which is simply another word for "program".

Regarding the "superiority" of paper over electronic media: all it takes is one fire, one flood, one disaster to obliterate decades of paper records, unless one goes through the tedium of copying each record and placing it in multiple locations. Electronic media can be backed up to a cloud, in *addition* to any location in which a paper copy can be stored, and done so in a fraction of the time and effort it takes to copy paper. I love paper, too, don't get me wrong, but if I care about data, it's electronic, simple as that. Paper is far too easily lost. I cite the Library at Alexandria as an exemplar of the frailty of paper.

19. StampFan

StampFan Arachnolord Active Member

Calgary
    If there's a fire or flood in my tarantula room, all of my inverts would be dead as well, so the paper records for an entirely dead collection wouldn't be needed, really. The cart needs a horse. And frankly, if there's a fire or flood, losing a log book of whether Sling X rejected a mealworm would honestly be the least of my worries.

20. rushchaser

rushchaser Arachnopeon

@Greasylake not sure what you are talking about?