1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.
    Dismiss Notice

Invertebrates Magazine

Discussion in 'Book and Magazine Reviews' started by IguanaMama, Oct 27, 2006.

1. IguanaMama

IguanaMama Arachnoangel Old Timer

Advertisement
    I'm thrilled that I finally signed up for my subscription to INVERTEBRATES MAGAZINE, my only regret is that I didn't do it years ago. No matter, I was able to get back issues, and I'm glad I did. This publication includes articles on tarantulas, mantids, beetles, grasshoppers, roaches and other critters that we are all interested in. It is really well written and edited. I enjoyed reading EVERY article, even the articles on the critters I don't keep. It is jam packed with pictures too, something I like. It is really a quality publication. I can not see why anyone would not sign-up, I plan on getting myself a nice folder and saving every issue.

I also got a couple of the books, they are great too, I'll leave those reviews separately, but here's the link:

http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/elytraandantenna/

2. Andy Gigas

Andy Gigas Arachnopeon

I received a subscription for Christmas, and I'm am honestly enjoying this magazine more than the TV I got this year.:D The articles are very informative, but not too technical. It also give great profiles on inverts that aren't commonly discussed on the boards, not to mention all of the fantastic pictures. This publication come highly recommended.

3. ShadowBlade

ShadowBlade Planeswalker Arachnosupporter

Hey, hadn't seen this thread earlier.

Invertebrates-Magazine is an excellent variety magazine. It covers Tarantula's, Scorpions, True Spiders, 'pedes, Beetles, Mantids, etc...
    I really like the magazine, and it has great info. Never had or heard of a late published edition.

4. I just started a 2 year subscription. Really good info for a variety of inverts. I will be contributing several scorpion articles in the upcoming issues :). Good to see a good invert magazine out there with such variety ;)

5. padkison

padkison Arachnoangel Old Timer

I got a subscription to invertebrate magazine this year. After reading the first issue, I contacted Orin and ordered all the available back issues. Each issue has several interesting and useful articles on different invertebrates from knowledgable authors. Well worth the subscription price.

On a side note, Elytra and Antenna also publishes a number of very good and inexpensive guides to raising various invertebrates. I have the millipede, mantid and rhinocerous beetles guides and refer to them often.

6. kolomomma

kolomomma Arachnopeon

I feel like a little kid whose cereal box prize has just arrived every time this mag shows up in my mailbox. The pictures are gorgeous, it's loaded with information about all types of inverts, and it's light on the advertising (yay!). I've been able to read about animals I've never heard of as well as some of my favorites. There is always great breeding and husbandry advice too. I save them all as well as the many care books Elytra and Antenna has for sale. I keep one in my car at all times so I can read it at the dentist and doctor's office (wouldn't want to get stuck with Vogue or People, God forbid)! You should get this magazine, you will be glad you did!

7. arachnocat

arachnocat Arachnoangel Old Timer

I just got my first two issues of Invertebrates Magazine and they're great! The September issue has information about the Texas unicorn mantis which is really usefull since I just got a few of these little guys. I also like the article by Cameron Campell about how to make beetle rearing substrate from raw aspen shavings.
    I always enjoy the roach articles and this mag featured the beatiful pale bordered field cockroach which is still a bit elusive in the roach hobby but I hope to keep a few one day.

The December issue was equally informative. I loved the pics on the cover of the lubber grasshopper. I liked reading about the Maui adventure by Peter Clausen. The terrascaping article was cool. I've just started a vivarium and plan to build a new improved one very soon. The roach article in this issue was about the giant panchlora species. I had five of these at one point but they didn't do well but I really want to get more so it was good to be able to read up on them first and figure out what I did wrong.
    Can't wait for the next issue. :)

8. bluefrogtat2

bluefrogtat2 Arachnoangel

renew subscription

unbelievable magazine.renewing for sure.wish it was monthly.keep up good work
    andy

9. ROACHBEETLE

ROACHBEETLE Arachnopeon

POSITIVE great deal

I just received a nice packet of Invertebrates magazine. Back issues as well as the current issue. A superb publication that fills a need no other magazine or online board can meet. Truly a testament to the love of bizarre and wonderful spineless creatures.

10. I just got my first two issues, And I think it is an enjoyable read. I wish it was monthly, And also color photos would have been nice in the magazine.

All in all, It is worth the subscription money. :)

11. PK952

PK952 Arachnopeon

Kansas
    Three years and no complaints!

I absolutely love Invertebrates magazine! I have subscribed for the past three years now (maybe four, lol, lost track!) and each issue never disappoints, with the exception of the articles that must be continued until the next issue, lol...Im not good with being patient, especially if it is on a subject that I am particularly interested in. {D Seriously though, this magazine is truly one of a kind and is sure to provide you with information that is hard to find on a wide variety of species. It is well worth the subscription cost, and I guarantee that you will find yourself anticipating the next edition. I highly recommend this magazine.

12. Gnat

Gnat Arachnoknight

im in my second year subscribing to this publication and i havent been disappointed yet. even in articles about inverts im not directly interested in i can find something to learn. certainly worth the money to get. A+

13. Kayv

Kayv Arachnobaron Old Timer

Hades
    I recently subscribed to this publication and got my first issue in, awesome reading. I knew very little about whipspiders and you gotta admit they are a bit ignored in our hobby, but Invertebrates Magazine did a great job education me on them. I enjoyed the articles and I look forward to their next issue. I feel that this magazine propels our hobby forward and they will always have my support.

14. zonbonzovi

zonbonzovi Creeping beneath you Staff Member

Always a welcome addition to my mailbox. A wide variety of invert topics and surprises. Hopefully Orin becomes independently wealthy so IM can become a much larger, more in depth pub. Still a great resource to occasionally refer back to.

15. Gnat

Gnat Arachnoknight

I recently renewed my subscription to the magazine and bought my nephew a sub for his birthday because he has always been interested in the issues when I receive them. He has a large interest in the natural world and especially inverts and I hope this will keep his interest for time to come.

16. Anonymity82

Anonymity82 Arachnoprince

The articles themselves are wonderful. It's great to have a magazine just for inverts with in depth accounts and experiences with many different kinds of inverts. My only complaints are that the magazine is pretty short and the pictures can be hard to make out (I've only bought two back issues so I'm unsure if the actual magazines are printed differently). Otherwise I'm very pleased. Regardless to my complaints I will be eventually getting some more back issues and eventually subscribing.

• Like Like x 1
  17. spiderbesideher

spiderbesideher Arachnosquire

I just had my first issue delivered after subscribing. I like the variety of species covered and very interesting pieces written by experienced hobbyists. A keeper!