Invert suggestions?

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
There’s a Repticon coming up and I was thinking of trying a different invert for my collection. Right now I have 11 tarantulas, a scorpion, and an orchid mantis. I was thinking of doing a different arachnid/arthropod all together.

My current list includes:
Tailless whip scorpion
Vinegaroon
Scolopendra Gigantea
Sicarius/Sand Spider
Black camel Spider (what species is it exactly? I can’t seem to find it)

I have a list of other tarantulas I want as well as another scorpion (H. Swammerdammi) but right now I’m a little more interested in getting something that’s different from these.

Out of these current inverts, if you guys have any experience with these let me know which of these would probably the easiest to keep, longer living, and overall more fun I guess.

I hear the tailless whip scorpions need a fairly big size cage because when they Molt their legs can’t touch the floor? As well as camal spiders not having much of a life span? I would really like to have something that lives at least more than 3 years. I’m already bummed out at the fact that my mantis most likely won’t live for much more than a year :(

If you guys have any other suggestions, let me know.

Only things I won’t really do are millipedes (don’t get me wrong, they look cool but they’re a little too slow for me lol) snails, crabs/hermit crabs, or any invert that flies.

I know Repticon most likely may not have any other inverts besides tarantulas, scorpions or maybe centipedes, but if they don’t, I’ll probably just order one online anyway.

aphono

Arachnobaron
My answer:

View media item 51312View media item 49440View media item 48610
I've always loved whipspiders since seeing them on nature programs as a kid. Never looked into them as I thought surely their care was exotic as their looks. Completely out of my reach. So when I got back into the invert hobby with tarantulas- happened to find someone local who had Damon diademas and had babies available. Could not believe the fact their care was even within the realm of my ability. Went ahead and got some.. am utterly smitten.

They're just such fantastic creatures. Wonderful way of moving around, hunting, everything about them is just so wow how cool.

Depends on species but generally: room temps(maybe on slightly warmer end for some), they do need humidity- regular misting and wet the substrate well, feeding once per week or so, need slanted or horizontal space to molt- they do have a rather flexible range as for suitable molting space, does not need to be huge but it would be nice to give room for their legs and whips & that will give you a chance to see their various hunting techniques.

There are small/medium species that really don't need much room. There's been a lot of Phrynus marginemaculatus at events & some stores. Small enough to keep in a deli cup or a small food canister if you want. Any large species up for sale most likely are WC Damon medius(first pic)- those do get very big. If you like exciting action filled feeding responses, the D. medius are great for that.

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
That’s where it becomes a hard choice lol. I would much rather have a larger species since I like bigger inverts but I don’t have too much space so one of the small species may suit me better.

What would be the minimum size for a D. Medius or diadema?

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
Scolopendra gigantea.
I’d really love to do one or some other species that gets close to its size but maybe with a bit more color, my only 2 fears are that it’s gonna hide all day every day and that it’s probably much faster than any animal I’ve ever owned. I used to have a Rhysida Longipes and it would almost always hide and it wouldn’t even eat unless it was prekilled. I’m sure this species (S. Gigantea) has a much bigger appetite and quite likely to kill prey easily but still. If anyone has anymore experience on them let me know.

Besides all that, I just found out they’re pretty expensive lol

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I’d really love to do one or some other species that gets close to its size but maybe with a bit more color, my only 2 fears are that it’s gonna hide all day every day and that it’s probably much faster than any animal I’ve ever owned. I used to have a Rhysida Longipes and it would almost always hide and it wouldn’t even eat unless it was prekilled. I’m sure this species (S. Gigantea) has a much bigger appetite and quite likely to kill prey easily but still. If anyone has anymore experience on them let me know.

Besides all that, I just found out they’re pretty expensive lol
I personally love their color, one of my favorite centipedes. They are fast but cannot climb deep plastic tubs. As long as you have all of your resources it should be fine. Mine all are usually out unless they are in pre-molt. I've had one hide for a month however.

Go with the tailless whip.

Beedrill

Arachnoknight
Never underestimate exotic roach species if anyone there is in the Roach Hobby. There are extremely large roaches and roaches that exhibit awesome colors. Hissers are always cool and there are lots of different species. They get big, are very handleable, usually very cheap, and grow fairly slowly, so you can enjoy them for several years usually. Plus if you get male and female they'll reproduce and you can keep a small colony going indefinitely. Just a thought.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Yeah roaches can be neat. Had A. tesselata for a while, huge nymphs and adults. The adults were nearly always visible & nymphs were often out and about. Good species if you want an easy care large roach without needing supplemental heat. The T. olegrandjeani (Question marks) are finally completing their first full breeding cycle under my care- offspring of the nymphs I bought last year are starting to emerge as adults. Feeling pretty good about that. :) btw while they're burrowing/leaf litter species, both of the nymphs and more so the adults are above ground fairly often.

Pic of a new adult:
View media item 52782

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
If you're going get a Scolopendra gigantea be prepared to spend a lot of cash. I haven't seen any for less than $400 online.

simone ponzetto

Arachnopeon
the black solifugid could be Galeodes arabicus maybe.
I had a D. medius male, very very shy, every time I turn on the lights of the room he escaped in his hiding.
you should get it! super interesting creatures despite not seeing much.
I kept mine in a 25x50x50, with a cork side and a cork bark to hide in, as substrate i used peat because of humidity rate.
Vinegaroon are on my wishlist too;) maybe i will get one soon.
why don't you get assassin bugs?, easy to care, they live together and you can watch them hunt. very beautiful invertebrates!

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
If you're going get a Scolopendra gigantea be prepared to spend a lot of cash. I haven't seen any for less than $400 online.
Yea, I didn’t realize how expensive they’d be before I put them on the list lol. I probably won’t get one of those, at least probably not until quite a while.

the black solifugid could be Galeodes arabicus maybe.
I had a D. medius male, very very shy, every time I turn on the lights of the room he escaped in his hiding.
you should get it! super interesting creatures despite not seeing much.
I kept mine in a 25x50x50, with a cork side and a cork bark to hide in, as substrate i used peat because of humidity rate.
Vinegaroon are on my wishlist too;) maybe i will get one soon.
why don't you get assassin bugs?, easy to care, they live together and you can watch them hunt. very beautiful invertebrates!
That seems to be the species of the camel spider.

I can’t seem to decide whether to get D. Medius or Diadema. 25x50x50 centimeters or inches? That’s a huge cage if it’s inches lol.

Assassin bugs look cool, but I don’t know. I think I gotta see them in person before I decide. Same thing with the roaches. The roaches look really nice, at least the colorful species. I feel like I don’t like them too much but if I see them in person I’ll probably take an interest in them. That was how I started liking tarantulas at first.